Username
Password
AP.net Related News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
AP.net Related
Inside AP.net

Questions for Propagandhi

Posted by: Deborah Remus (08/29/12)
We'll be interviewing Chris Hannah from Propagandhi tomorrow so feel free to leave questions in the replies if you have any.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 19
04:38 PM on 08/29/12
BlackTaxi2d
User Info.
Chris,

love the new record and pre-ordered the (delayed) lp. sonically you guys have never been tighter.

i started really getting into you guys with supporting caste and have since become a vegetarian which is an awesome change in my life. i am reading "eating animals" by jonathan safran foer which is a pretty good read as well. link

honestly, i don't even have any questions, just want to say so far i love the new record and cant wait to read your lyrics and liner notes. propagandhi has inspired me to become more informed in social issues and to get my friends and family interested in issues that (for example) you write about.
05:06 PM on 08/29/12
disconnect
OG Loc
User Info.
Hey chris! Long time fan here, been unsuccessfully trying to catch you guys live since 2001 in LA with no success! I hope to change that soon. I have a few questions!

1) I heard a rumor that before the release of Todays Empires, Tomorrows Ashes, there was some sort of problem with the guitar tracks, and you having to re-do them at the very last minute? Is there any truth to it and what amplifier did you use on it? Its probably my favorite tone of all your records.

2) I know that the Rod is a black belt in BJJ, just wondering if you have taken up jiu jitsu or any sort of grappling art yourself? I saw some pictures on the propagandhi site of you grappling with one of the guys from smallman records which is why I ask. Also, who wins in a real fight between you and Todd?

Thanks!
05:11 PM on 08/29/12
rcerce
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Chris,

Your band rules and your politics have seemed to stayed true in a less than awesome music industry. However, when your record was streaming the other day, it was only accessible if one "liked" the record through facebook. This seemed a little out of place. Was this an Epitaph decision or a Propagandhi decision? Either way, why was this the case? Why not simply stream the record for the masses without supporting facebook?

Thanks.
05:49 PM on 08/29/12
Big_Guy
Idle Will Kill
User Info.
How much songwriting did Beaver contribute to Failed States in comparison to Supporting Caste?
06:47 PM on 08/29/12
T-Lloyd
User Info.
Come back to New Zealand?!?!.....that is both a question and a statement!

Also, a quick multi-choice question:

The rollbacks; Frances didn't give ..... about?
a. a duck
b. a truck
c. a fuck
d. a buck
07:49 PM on 08/29/12
crutchfield
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Will you play Detroit Rock City again when i see you in Detroit?

Is it okay that i love every single one of your songs but im not vegetarian?
07:59 PM on 08/29/12
theHECKLER
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Chris

If any politician came out publicly and stated they were fans of your band, would you belittle them or be grateful that they appreciate your music? (even though not all your fans will agree/follow the message of your lyrics but still enjoy your music, etc).
09:56 PM on 08/29/12
redeyes
One Sweet Dude
User Info.
what are some current bands you are into?
any books to recommend?
Do you guys watch much NHL hockey, or is the national anthem too much to handle?
05:45 AM on 08/30/12
waybackhome
Pentimento / Mike Hansen
User Info.
Chris,

I noticed there's a song called "Status Update" on your new record. I also noticed that you posted your new record on your Facebook page. I also noticed that in order to stream the record, you had to "like" your Facebook page. It seems like you guys really enjoy that particular social networking site. I mean, heck! You even wrote a song about it! Neat!

I'm wondering why you would succumb to such a seemingly fascist marketing ploy to promote your new record, and how much your "likes" really mean to you and the band. Considering all the references to Facebook, as well as the exclusivity of the new record streaming on your Facebook instead of a place like Punknews.org or Peta.org. or Infowars.com - I figured there must be a good reason for this, which is why i'm writing in to you today. I know that your 2001 release "Today's Empires, Tomorrow's Ashes" was the prerequisite to the future decline of Myspace, and I was easily able to pick up on all your lyrical references. For example: (Taken from the song "Back To The Motor League") - you write: "I guess life is just a popularity contest" - which I heard loud and clear as "I guess the top 8 on your profile is just a popularity contest".

So now that you know that I spend a lot of my time combing your lyrics for relevant metaphors, you can be sure that I won't let this little "Facebook States" i mean..."Failed States" thing rest without being thoroughly explained. I want to join the fight to take down Mark Zuckerberg with you and your band. The only thing is - I'm from the U.S.A. and I know how you guys feel about that <@ (that is an american guy making an awkward face with curly hair and a pointy birthday hat on. this emoticon illustrates my feelings about being from the U.S.A.)
07:37 AM on 08/30/12
crutchfield
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I really hope Ms Remus doesnt try to make sense of that last entry.
08:44 AM on 08/30/12
crutchfield
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Also

Any plans for another live dvd or album? A proper live album would be appreciated.
08:47 AM on 08/30/12
crutchfield
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Also

Why is it that you and todd dont share vocals on tracks very much?
07:27 PM on 08/30/12
Deborah Remus
Winnipegger
User Info.
Thanks, the interview is done and will be posted early next week.

Hey chris! Long time fan here, been unsuccessfully trying to catch you guys live since 2001 in LA with no success! I hope to change that soon. I have a few questions!

1) I heard a rumor that before the release of Todays Empires, Tomorrows Ashes, there was some sort of problem with the guitar tracks, and you having to re-do them at the very last minute? Is there any truth to it and what amplifier did you use on it? Its probably my favorite tone of all your records.

2) I know that the Rod is a black belt in BJJ, just wondering if you have taken up jiu jitsu or any sort of grappling art yourself? I saw some pictures on the propagandhi site of you grappling with one of the guys from smallman records which is why I ask. Also, who wins in a real fight between you and Todd?

Thanks!

I'm not Chris, but they were just having fun, haha. Those pics were taken at one of Smallman's Beers of the World parties, I only know that because I wrote retrospective articles for the label 2 years ago.
09:03 AM on 08/31/12
crutchfield
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Thanks, the interview is done and will be posted early next week.

I'm not Chris, but they were just having fun, haha. Those pics were taken at one of Smallman's Beers of the World parties, I only know that because I wrote retrospective articles for the label 2 years ago.

Post it now! :)
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums