AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
I Am War - Outlive You All Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 7
Musicianship 5
Lyrics 6
Production 6
Creativity 5
Lasting Value 5
Reviewer Tilt 6
Final Verdict: 57%
Member Ratings
Vocals 8.25
Musicianship 7.5
Lyrics 7.75
Production 6.75
Creativity 7.75
Lasting Value 7.75
Reviewer Tilt 7.5
Average: 76%
Inside AP.net

I Am War - Outlive You All

Reviewed by: justbradley (09/03/12)
I Am War Outlive You All
Record Label: Razor & Tie
Release Date: August 28th, 2012

I don’t listen to a lot of heavy music, and I’m not sure why. Maybe it’s because I’ve just grown tired of heavier music, or maybe it’s just because it’s not my kind of thing. Either way, I haven’t listened to many metal/hardcore records this year. One record I have listened to, however, is Orange County duo I Am War’s debut record Outlive You All. I heard about this band not very long ago, but I heard that lead vocalist of metalcore band Bleeding Though Brandan Schieppati is apart of the band. I own a copy of Bleeding Through’s 2010 self-titled record, and I enjoyed it for a little while. That’s what ultimately made me curious to check Outlive You All. However, I’m not familiar with the second half of I Am War, Atreyu’s vocalist Alex Vakatzas. While I’m familiar with that band, it doesn’t matter too much, because it’s clear that I Am War is a side-project, if anything.

The record starts off with the very interestingly titled, “Don’t Worship Assholes,” and it sets the stage for the entire record, which is only 27 minutes. While I would complain about the shortness of the record, this is a record that seems fitting for being less than half an hour. It’s fitting, because this is a pretty straight-forward metalcore/thrash metal record. There’s not much in terms of variety or depth, so to speak. Basically, “Don’t Worship Assholes” is a track that’s loud, aggressive, and extremely “brutal.” It seems as though the band wanted to play that kind of music. The main problem with this record is that it seems to follow the same kind of formula throughout, so as I mentioned earlier, there’s not much variety. While the record is short, it’s really hard to pick out my favorite tracks on here, because each song tends to blend together. It’s also good that it is quite short, because it doesn’t drag on at all.

There are a few tracks are I would consider as highlights, however; the first track “Don’t Worship Assholes” is a track that’s worth listening to. As far as opening tracks go, it’s pretty strong. Second track “Uninvite Me to Your Facebook Party” has some cool gang vocals in it, or chanting, which is a bit different. It stands out slightly, even if the song title is something Attack Attack! would have used on one of their records. In fact, most of these song titles are absolutely ridiculous, but it seems the band know what they are, so they’re not taking this side project too seriously. Fifth track “Bat Out of Hell” is another highlight; the instrumentation is a bit different, all the while still being heavy and aggressive. “A Nightmare” is a track that has lyrics that are slightly different, and by that, I mean they’re more optimistic. Most of the lyrics on here reflect the music – hateful, aggressive, and downright mean.

Overall, this record is good for what it is, but if you’re a metal/hardcore fan, I wouldn’t spend too much time with this. It’s enjoyable for a simple metalcore/thrash record, but there’s not much lasting value in it. One thing that does make it worth listening to are both vocalists, whom are slightly different, but it does make the record a bit more unique than if there were only one.

Recommended If You LikeAtreyu, Bleeding Through, or metalcore

Additional Information
Track Listing:
1. Don’t Worship Assholes
2. Uninvite Me to Your Facebook Party
3. The Poisoning
4. Plug Me In
5. Bat Out of Hell
6. Hunting Me
7. Chipped Shoulders and Heart Attacks
8. I Don’t Know Anything
9. A Nightmare
10. Lead By Liars
11. My Love Affair With Disaster
12. Nihilistic Motivation
13. Feel the Same

I Am War is:
Vocals: Alex Varkatzas
Vocals/guitar: Brandan Schieppati

www.facebook.com/iamwarmusic

No one has commented on this album review.
You can be the first.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums