AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Shambles- Shambles EP Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 5.5
Musicianship 5.5
Lyrics 5.5
Production 5.5
Creativity 5.5
Lasting Value 5.5
Reviewer Tilt 5.5
Final Verdict: 55%
Member Ratings
No one has rated this album. You can be the first.
Inside AP.net

Shambles- Shambles EP

Reviewed by: Vance Mook (09/04/12)
Shambles- Shambles EP
Record Label: Self-released
Release Date: January 16th, 2012

Pop-punk has a habit of being classified these days. There are bands that continue to define the genre today (The Wonder Years, The Story So Far), bands that successfully dip their toes in different styles (Fireworks, I Am The Avalanche) and then there's the groups that focus more on the "fun" aspect of pop-punk rather than venturing into greener pastures.

While this self-titled EP from Shambles may fall into the third category, that can hardly be held against them. Just refer to the quick-paced, Screeching Weasel influence on "ATL... DTF?" and deny me some foot stomping. Go ahead...I dare you. Throwbacks to late 90's and early 00's run rampant throughout the songs, while the beginning of "Wait, So Umm, You Eat Chicken, Right?" takes more of a heavy, straightforward rock sound (much like new Four Year Strong).

Ridiculous song titles abound, this EP also has its faults, including some occasionally unpleasent guitar work and not-so-in-tune gang vocals (the worst offender of this being "Everybody's In Love With Someone Who Isn't You"). Despite this, Shambles keep up the pace with genuinely fun pop-punk tunes ("Yep, 27 And Still Writing Pop-Punk" and "I Award You No Points And May God Have Mercy On Your Soul"). Shambles certainly kicks it up a notch with the more-punk-than-pop, Alkaline Trio-esque "Yeah, From The Worcester Days".

In the end, Shambles' self-titled EP comes down to it's own kind of tunes. This is road trip music, the sound of four guys writing and releasing upbeat pop-punk music on their own. It leaves us with curiosity, keeping an ear out to hear what kind of leaps and bounds this band could take next.

Recommended If You LikeI Am The Avalanche; Man Overboard; Alkaline Trio

http://shamblesmusic.bandcamp.com/

No one has commented on this album review.
You can be the first.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News