Password

Album Review
KB - Weight & Glory Album Cover

KB - Weight & Glory

Reviewed by
KB - Weight & Glory
Record Label: Reach Records
Release Date: July 17, 2012
Hailing from St. Petersburg, Florida, KB (born Kevin Elijah Burgess) is a Christian hip hop artist signed to Reach Records (home to Grammy-nominated rapper Lecrae). Fresh off his 2011 mixtape Who is KB? which garnered over 30,000 downloads, KB releases his first album Weight & Glory, a refreshingly smart debut from the newest artist on the Reach Records roster.

The first single "Zone Out" is a smash. It features a siren synth hook and when the beat drops, KB delivers smart rhymes and clever word play left and right leading up to the chorus. KB raps "Lemme say this, I'm gonna live forever regardless how my doctor feels (Dr. Phil) / Call it Willow Smith / My Father's Will". The song has everything that Christian rap needs to be in order to break through to the mainstream.

KB teams up with his labelmate and mentor Lecrae on the track "Church Clap", a song that features numerous claps and sampled vocals for the hook driven by a piano synth line that ties it all together. It's a fun track that not only shows off Lecrae's talents as a rapper but his A&R talents for discovering KB and his potential to grow under the Reach Records umbrella.

Another bright spot on the record is the mid tempo ballad "Hello" featuring the smooth, soulful vocals of Suzy Rock. The filtered guitar intro leads effortlessly into KB's verse, rapping about being forgiven and letting go of his past. The female vocals provided by Suzy Rock work perfectly, creating fantastic melodies in the chorus, complimented by a choir near the end of the song.

The following track "Here We Go" featuring PK Oneday sounds like it could be a Jason Derulo single with its driving chorus and lush melodic hook. It goes to show that KB knows how to pick his collaborations and as always, the production is top notch.

Weight & Glory has all of the pieces that make a solid debut album. The production hits hard and KB's message hits even harder, touching on the subjects of faith, love and depression. He talks about the strength found in the struggle of every day life and questioning one's faith in the secular world. Being a Christian isn't easy, but it's not hard to root for KB's success. While he may divert the glory he receives to a higher power, KB has the weight to stand tall amidst the barrage of worldly temptation and deliver a lasting message of triumph.

Recommended If You Likerap; Lecrae; Fabolous; Jason Derulo

www.reachrecords.com/artists/show/KB
This review is a user submitted review from hiddentrack. You can see all of hiddentrack's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 2 of 2
09:09 AM on 09/25/12
xtianheadbanger
Jedi Knight
User Info.
Hey, so awesome review. I think this blows out of the water previous efforts by the biggest names in Christian rap. Lecrae's new album is crossover, thus I cringe at the lack of the 116 creedo, and Flame's new album was a weird mix of pop. I enjoyed Trip's new album, but not nearly as much as this.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos