Password

Album Review
Big Time Rush - Elevate Album Cover

Big Time Rush - Elevate

Reviewed by
Big Time Rush - Elevate
Record Label: Nick / Columbia
Release Date: November 19, 2011
I know what you're thinking. "Hey, isn't this a TV show?" It sure is! Big Time Rush is the story of four hockey players (Kendall, James, Carlos, and Logan) plucked from their team to form a boy band. That's about all you need to know about the show. The only reason this show exists is to sell records (a la The Monkees). The guys from BTR teamed up with some of the best producers in the business including Ryan Tedder, J.R. Rotem, and Emanuel Kiriakou. You'd think that with all of the push behind this band, they'd put out some good tunes, right? Sadly, no. This record makes Katy Perry look like Mariah Carey.

Fans of All Time Low should recognize (and cringe) when they stumble upon the track "No Idea", a restructured version of the track of the same name from ATL's album Dirty Work. The charm of the original song is lost in the BTR version as it drags along with programmed drums and dull vocal harmonies.

I'm determined to find something good about this record so let's just focus on the production of "Superstar". It's not terrible! It sounds like it could be a Chris Brown song. Oh, how I wish it was...

"You're Not Alone"? Perhaps a Saosin cover? No? Okay, nevermind.

More sampling occurs on the track "Windows Down", taking the hook (and pretty much everything else) from Blur's "Song 2". Originally supposed to be used by Ke$ha, the Matt Squire-produced track was later sold to BTR once the demo version for Ke$ha leaked. The reworked song brings nothing new to the table except a terrible dubstep breakdown. Yes, dubstep. It's as bad as it sounds.

The problem with this record is the fact that once you take away the good looks and manufactured wardrobes of BTR, all you're left with are the lackluster vocals, which leave a lot to be desired. None of them are very good singers and the overuse of auto tune runs rampant throughout. Often, their voices are so buried under the slick production that you start to feel like you're listening to robots. More like "Big Time Robots", am I right? Unfortunately, I think I am.

Recommended If You LikeOne Direction; Victoria Justice; The Jonas Brothers; Justin Bieber

Track Listing1. Music Sounds Better feat. Mann
2. Show Me
3. All Over Again
4. No Idea
5. Cover Girl
6. Love Me Love Me
7. If I Ruled The World feat. Iyaz
8. Invisible
9. Time Of Our Life
10. Superstar
11. You're Not Alone
12. Elevate
13. Windows Down

www.btrband.com
This review is a user submitted review from hiddentrack. You can see all of hiddentrack's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 4 of 4
06:08 AM on 09/19/12
SoftMints
User Info.
well done for listening to this album lol
09:08 AM on 09/22/12
Archael
listens to good music
User Info.
disgusting
10:37 PM on 09/24/12
brokencyde
I regret making this my username...
User Info.
Their first album was good. This one is terrible.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos