AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
NOFX - Self Entitled Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 7.75
Musicianship 8.25
Lyrics 8.5
Production 8
Creativity 8
Lasting Value 9
Reviewer Tilt 9
Final Verdict: 84%
Member Ratings
Vocals 8.5
Musicianship 8.71
Lyrics 8.58
Production 8.83
Creativity 7.67
Lasting Value 7.75
Reviewer Tilt 8.63
Average: 84%
Inside AP.net

NOFX - Self Entitled

Reviewed by: Jason Gardner (09/10/12)
NOFX - Self Entitled
Record Label: Fat Wreck Chords
Release Date: September 11, 2012

NOFX might not be a band for everyone, but 12 full lengths in – and seemingly countless EPs, splits and 7-inches – the band still finds ways to not only be catchy, but give us a few twists and turns in the process. Self Entitled is fittingly named though, as Fat Mike’s normal syllabus of poli-sci is flanked by a considerable amount of personally transpired ideas and recollections. Yet through stories of who gets what after a divorce and retro-tinged finger pointing in accusations of selling out, NOFX nearly hypnotize us with a personally turned lyrical direction and their musical repertoire just a fiery as usual. It is that steady course that makes Self Entitled impressive in its trek through the a mixture of personal and political, keeping us along for a ride that is more revealing than it is risque.

There’s about a fifty-fifty split here in terms of where Mike gets his inspiration, though he wastes no time making some ties between hookers and terrorists (“72 Hookers”), with the pulsing riff diving deep into your minds before giving his thoughts on stopping wars with blowjobs. The one-two punch of riffs and vocal melodies make for an easy conquering force on this record, as the roughly 90-second blasts of “I Believe in Goddess” and “I, Fatty” make for quick hits that still sink in, with the latter showing a momentarily self-reflection (‘Your fans will turn on you in a split second’) that ripples through this record. One of the more peculiar tracks, “Cell Out” fringes with an 8-bit tone that simply aches of retro gaming as Mike confronts his ego and image through an interaction with what seems to be an old fan. While the story is a little tattered, the musical number backing it is done just right, as the driving percussion and tonal backing tap just the right amount of their origination to not sound tacky.

As we churn through mid-tempo stomping and doubled-up skate numbers, the farther we dive into this record, the more personal it seems to reveal itself as. “Down with the Ship” and “My Sycophant Others” touch a bit on personal issues, the latter taking aim, as the clip starting the song suggests, at parasites or self-servants as subtle melodies of the somber nature sneak into our ears. The continuation of kicked up tempos still sounds beefy and melodic enough even in the less complicated moments, as the vibe of timid recollection and storytelling carries the lyrical appeal enough to usually go blow for blow with their general political fare.

The apex of the self-reflection comes with “I’ve Got One Jealous Again, Again”, as Mike waxes rather non-poetically over slower guitars and slight optimism about the end result of his divorce (‘I got the record player, but I didn’t get the house’). It’s not the nimblest of words, but in a moment of openness, there’s a story to be heard (‘You put on Survivor, I put on some headphones and cheated with my first love rock and roll’) in the honesty here. Wrapping with this track might have been fitting enough, but the oddly intriguing melodies of “Xmas Has Been X’ed” somehow embody that holiday feeling – I’ve heard enough holiday music in retail to know what holiday music should sound like – while swooping through the traditional stories of said holiday both religious and not. It’s a well-enough finale through in the vocal barrage that wraps up just nicely with a punk rock twist.

Pairing that honesty with tough as nails songwriting, Self Entitled makes itself known as not just another record or a phone-in by a band with enough of a reputation that you have to wonder how much longer they can continue to write at this level. But as far as this record is concerned, NOFX take a crack at pressing matters both inwards and outwards, succeeding in not only making a seamless expression of both sides but cranking out some truly memorable jams to boot.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 37
10:29 AM on 09/10/12
tjdohner21
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
i like this album a lot. only issue for me is that there arent any stand out tracks like there were in so lon and wolves in wolves. WIWC is my favorite album by them. This is still better than coaster
11:01 AM on 09/10/12
thiswokendream
User Info.
i like this album a lot. only issue for me is that there arent any stand out tracks like there were in so lon and wolves in wolves. WIWC is my favorite album by them. This is still better than coaster
I actually think it works out better for the album to not contain any "stand-out tracks" because, for me, when an album has a couple tracks that outshine all the rest, I wonder why the whole album couldn't have been that good. I think with "Self/Entitled" NOFX consistently deliver slightly better-than-average tracks to make for an extremely cohesive album and that's all I really expect from the band at this point in their career.
12:27 PM on 09/10/12
Deborah Remus
Winnipegger
User Info.
Good review. This isn't anything too special to me, but it's still a fun listen.
12:29 PM on 09/10/12
Jaytothesyg
The Greatest Generation
User Info.
I only listened once but on first listen it was the most average album I've heard all year

Probably wont listen again
01:21 PM on 09/10/12
heartsdivided
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I remember when Ribbed came out, it was a game changer. American Errorism was pretty good, too
01:24 PM on 09/10/12
shoop
User Info.
I love it.. it exceeded my expectations even. Not bad by any means.
02:12 PM on 09/10/12
punk182skate
User Info.
idk if its just me but doesnt xmas has been x'ed sound so much like one million coasters?
02:26 PM on 09/10/12
Archael
listens to good music
User Info.
this band has sucked since forever, maybe this will be good
02:45 PM on 09/10/12
tjdohner21
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I actually think it works out better for the album to not contain any "stand-out tracks" because, for me, when an album has a couple tracks that outshine all the rest, I wonder why the whole album couldn't have been that good. I think with "Self/Entitled" NOFX consistently deliver slightly better-than-average tracks to make for an extremely cohesive album and that's all I really expect from the band at this point in their career.
Yep. I totally agree with you. they do hold consistency track by track on this album and there arent any stand out tracks that depreciate other songs. Thats why i like and appreciate this album so much more than coaster.
02:46 PM on 09/10/12
prefix-core
Andy Adores Alliteration
User Info.
This record sticks out as a whole in NOFX's discography, simply because it broke the trend in terms of songwriting. There aren't any blatantly "jokey" songs, and speed conquers all on this album. That being said? Most of the songs don't really stand out as anything special on this record--except for the lyrics. It's about time they let themselves get a bit personal.

I'll be picking this up tomorrow and hoping that some of the songs stick out a bit more than they did on the first listen or two.
04:27 PM on 09/10/12
Steeeve Perry
Pushin' th' little daisies
User Info.
I really enjoyed Coaster, save for a couple of tracks. Need to give this a listen, but can't handle more letdowns this year!
05:03 PM on 09/10/12
subplotofcrows
A Small Spark Vs. A Great Forest
User Info.
Really loved Coaster, and didn't really care for this all that much on first listen. But after 3-4 more listens I really dig it.
05:32 PM on 09/10/12
sweetfootaction
Cake-eater
User Info.
You'd rather have an album full of mediocrity, rather than having several songs that you actually enjoy? I don't get that logic. For me personally, if I found the album to be mediocre, I wouldn't listen to it much if at all. Alternately, if the album a some standout tracks that I really like, I'd at least be listening to the songs that I like.
06:29 PM on 09/10/12
TSLataris
Representin' the 514
User Info.
this band has sucked since forever, maybe this will be good
This band has been around longer than you've been alive so they must be doing something right. :)

Really enjoying this album so far. 72 Hookers and Xmas Has Been X'ed are standout tracks for me, after my first few listens.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums