AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Drew Danburry - Mother Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 7.25
Musicianship 8
Lyrics 9
Production 6.25
Creativity 6
Lasting Value 6.75
Reviewer Tilt 8
Final Verdict: 73%
Member Ratings
Vocals 7.5
Musicianship 7.75
Lyrics 7.75
Production 8.25
Creativity 7
Lasting Value 9
Reviewer Tilt 9.75
Average: 81%
Inside AP.net

Drew Danburry - Mother

Reviewed by: Blake Solomon (01/10/08)
Drew DanburryMother EP
Record Label: Unsigned
Release Date: Late 2007

Who?

Really, this deserves a full review rather than the condensed version. But, thankfully, Drew Danburry will be releasing a new full-length in the early part of this year. Rest assured I will leave no stone unturned when that day comes.

If you don’t know him yet, well, I’m sorry. Danburry is as independent as they come and his pop is as thoughtful as it comes. By touring constantly and honing what seems like an endless number of skills over the past few years, Mr. Danburry has set himself up for one heck of a year. If Mother is any indication, you will be sick and tired of seeing me recommend and gab about this fellow throughout the year. Think of this review as sneaking glances out the window while your daddy hides all the Easter eggs. You might not know what’s inside yet, but you know exactly where to look.

How Is It?

Mother begins with WHISTLES and the phrase, “Short / Long / This is how we start the song.” How frivolous! But don’t expect mindless, acoustic folk-pop. Danburry might employ horns, banjos, pianos and off-kilter backing vocals (think if The Format locked themselves in a barn), but he also has self-aware, meaningful lyrics to boot. “Untitled 1” finds Danburry sounding exhausted and thought provoking. He’s in an obvious state of disarray and his vocals mimic this with scratchiness and audible pain. “Mother Is A Song By Danzig Not By Me” deviates with blippy electronics and some breathy flute playing. Danburry channels his inner Tim Kasher and says (right before another bout of whistling), “I’m trying so hard to just stay happy / Sorry if I’m not doing the best I can.” A hodge podge chorus materializes behind him, and we can literally hear Danburry’s friends supporting him and lifting him up. The sound of camaraderie is one of the most pure and beautiful things our ears can perceive. Listening to this song reminds me we are never truly alone, and for that I am grateful to Mr. Danburry. Before I get any more emotional (read: depressing), I better end this. However, there’s no doubt in my mind more brilliance is on its way.

Recommended If You Like: The Avett Brothers, Tim Kasher, "The Notebook," A folk band playing "She Doesn't Get It," "The United States of Leland"

Philosophize for mewww.myspace.com/drewdanburry

Displaying posts 1 - 5 of 5
07:19 AM on 01/11/08
ren
on display
User Info.
I always love your reviews. I think I'll check this out.
11:11 AM on 01/11/08
Until The Bombs
@_johnleary
User Info.
Ah. I need to get this.
12:06 PM on 01/11/08
JaredRigsby
User Info.
Blake, you could make me want to listen to a Simple Plan record with your reviews...
12:24 PM on 01/11/08
Litost
never be lost
User Info.
drew danburry is amazing, he opened for Harry and the Potters out in Utah when i saw them and he puts on a great show and is really nice guy
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums