AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Jet Lag Gemini - Fire the Cannons Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 7.5
Musicianship 9.5
Lyrics 7
Production 9
Creativity 8
Lasting Value 9.25
Reviewer Tilt 9.75
Final Verdict: 86%
Member Ratings
Vocals 9.08
Musicianship 9.72
Lyrics 9
Production 9.53
Creativity 9.31
Lasting Value 9.69
Reviewer Tilt 9.81
Average: 94%
Inside AP.net

Jet Lag Gemini - Fire the Cannons

Reviewed by: Tony Pascarella (01/10/08)
Jet Lag GeminiFire the Cannons
Release Date: January 22, 2008
Record Label: Doghouse Records

Summer's coming early this year. Jet Lag Gemini's debut full-length for Doghouse Records, Fire the Cannons, is a (winter-released) summer-ready pop-punk record for both the lovers and the haters. The album is produced by Jon Kaplan, who also produced The Jonas Brothers' album and The Damnwells' Air Stereo, the latter admittedly a personal favorite of the last couple of years. Jet Lag Gemini seem intent on creating the most lush soundscapes they can put behind catchy, hook-filled pop-punk, and as awkward as that might sound, it works like a dream.

“Run This City” is the lead single as well as the album's opener, a classically-tinged rocker fueled by aggression and a bit of bravado. “Doctor, Please!” is a bit more focused and panders to the sing-along crowd. The drum work is on Fire the Cannons is surprisingly sharp. It doesn't dominate any particular track, instead leaving that job to the unexpectedly unique and often warbling riffs, but the drumming fantastically complements the music. A perfect example would be on both “Bad Apples” and “Bittersweet,” the latter which will be a popular track. Two dazzling intros on “Fit to Be Tied” and “Just Say How” secure their place as standout songs on this very surprising disc, as well.

The problem as you course through the middle and second half of the album is that the vocals start to grate just a bit, and the lyrics could use a bit more work so the songs stand out a bit more from each other. It's nothing too harsh, but if you need to point out any flaws in the album, the vocals are by far the easiest target. “Keep This with You” is the only true ballad on the album, and a few listens seem to point to Jet Lag Gemini needing to work on their slow songs. Frankly, it's slow and very uninteresting. The sound of Misha Safonov's voice clashes more with the music the louder he sings, and we get a forgettable result.

Jet Lag Gemini's thick riffs and solid vocals will bring a breath of fresh air to your pop-punk slate in 2008. Fire the Cannons is an album with enough focus for the mainstream crowd and more than enough showmanship for anyone looking for some additional entertainment blasting from their iPod headphones. Jon Kaplan has done a stellar job of helping the band record a dominant pop-punk album that challenges anything released in the genre over the last few years. Put down your All Time Low posters; stop waiting anxiously for the news Cute album to come out; and instead go seek out Doghouse's next big hit—Jet Lag Gemini.

Buy Jet Lag Gemini's Fire the Cannons on iTunes

Track List01. Run This City
02. Doctor, Please!
03. The Bad Apples
04. Bittersweet
05. Stepping Stone
06. Fit to Be Tied
07. Just Say How
08. If It Was Up To Me
09. Every Minute
10. Keep This With You
11. Picture Frames
Listen to Jet Lag GeminiAP.net Profile | Myspace | Official Site

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 44
06:14 PM on 01/10/08
hailthewarrior
i can't shake this little feeling
User Info.
Going to check this out now, Tony. Good review.
06:33 PM on 01/10/08
Rich Duncan
Album Reviewer
User Info.
Good review Tony! This should be a good year for Jet Lag Gemini, I think alot of people are going to enjoy this record.
08:04 PM on 01/10/08
saysmydoctor
Resident New Yorker
User Info.
Excellent review. Great band.
08:52 PM on 01/10/08
a.t.123
slap bet commissioner
User Info.
can't wait for this one
01:17 AM on 01/11/08
takeweakme
DMG!
User Info.
wonderful, good album
02:22 AM on 01/11/08
Jason Tate
User Info.
Very solid album and a well worded review to get that point across.

05:35 AM on 01/11/08
Steve Henderson
Retired
User Info.
This album was a nice surprise. "Fit to be Tied" is an incredible song. For people looking for good pop-punk that tips the scales a little more towards the punk side will dig this. Some parts of it remind me of Fenix Tx or The Movielife.
05:58 AM on 01/11/08
tait
@
User Info.
i can't wait for this album.
06:20 AM on 01/11/08
deFobbed14yrs
Legal Drug Dealer
User Info.
wo great revieews. go local jersey band!
07:25 AM on 01/11/08
markbroadway
User Info.
awesome band
07:30 AM on 01/11/08
whyte39
www.alexwhyte.com
User Info.
I just realized, whilst listening to "doctor, please", that their sound resembles old goldfinger. In my opinion. It just came to me, much like a boring epiphany would.
07:36 AM on 01/11/08
Drew Beringer
Senior Editor - @drewberinger - Locked Groove
User Info.
good album good review
07:46 AM on 01/11/08
BobbyFU
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Its great to hear that Jet Lag is putting out their album finally. From what I have heard on the album, the music is better than anything they have released yet. The band truely shows their musicianship, their character, but still show they know how to have a good time. This is definately the album that I am looking forward to this year.
07:55 AM on 01/11/08
Chemical Love
-
User Info.
Pretty good album, I do enjoy it.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives