AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

AP.net Related News
Have a news tip? Submit news.

Consequental Apathy: To Carry the Flame

Posted by - 10:20 AM on 09/13/12
This week, an incredibly influential label shut down its production. Hydra Head Industries isn't the first label to close its doors, and it won't be the last. Bringing my column back this week, you can head here for some thoughts of where contemporary labels should take from Hydra Head's running core of business and community. After giving it a once over, my question today is do you think labels will be obsolete in the future, and what can they do to keep production going? Should focus shift completely to digital, or is the resurgence of vinyl and other physical avenues a way to keep the tangible medium interesting and alive? What are your favorite labels, and beyond the music you like that they distribute, what else about them keeps you coming back? Hit the replies and let's have a label appreciation day.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 21
10:25 AM on 09/13/12
Holly HoX!
User Info.
My favorite label is mine, because I need to be my own champion. There are a host of reasons I've decided to start a label in 2012, but I'm on my phone...
10:26 AM on 09/13/12
theredline
Brian Gallows
User Info.
Somehow, people need to be reminded of the value of music. It's not just a computer spitting out tunes. There's people involved from writing, recording, production, artwork, manufacturing, etc. It's become something that people don't think or care about. There has to be a shift in the mind of the consumer...
10:28 AM on 09/13/12
Adam Pfleider
wait. what were we talking about?
User Info.
Somehow, people need to be reminded of the value of music. It's not just a computer spitting out tunes. There's people involved from writing, recording, production, artwork, manufacturing, etc. It's become something that people don't think or care about. There has to be a shift in the mind of the consumer...
/thread
10:31 AM on 09/13/12
Christian Wagner
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Fantastic article as always. Glad to see this on the site today.
10:34 AM on 09/13/12
Adam Pfleider
User Info.
Fantastic article as always. Glad to see this on the site today.
oh...stop it...
10:40 AM on 09/13/12
Holly HoX!
User Info.

Great article again, Adam. This one speaks volumes to me personally. Thanks.
10:42 AM on 09/13/12
Adam Pfleider
User Info.
Great article again, Adam. This one speaks volumes to me personally. Thanks.
thanks buddy! when you get time, definitely add how you feel about operating a label. I want to get all sides on this.
10:52 AM on 09/13/12
Holly HoX!
User Info.
thanks buddy! when you get time, definitely add how you feel about operating a label. I want to get all sides on this.

Will do
11:22 AM on 09/13/12
The_Effort
User Info.
To me, there is something special about holding the physical copy of the album. It seems more personal I suppose. I don't think I would ever want to see a complete switch to digital. It would essentially kill the experience of walking into a record shop and browsing with my friends not to mention putting those companies and their employees out of work. Then they'd turn my local record shop into a fast food chain because we definitely need a third one of those on the street corner that it's on.

That's just one consumers opinion though. I don't feel like I'm educated enough on the actual business side of these things to make any worthwhile comments in that department. Interesting topic though. I'll definitely be keeping up with this thread.
11:27 AM on 09/13/12
Holly HoX!
User Info.

This is one of the inspirational things I've read and definitely an approach I aspire to. I encourage all who venture to this thread read:

http://mikesniper.tumblr.com/post/15465680567/an-indie-label-in-2012

(Doesn't hurt he releases some of my favorite records currently too)
11:30 AM on 09/13/12
Christian Wagner
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
wait. let me revise...it's not an article but rather an op-ed. anyways, kickass job.
01:54 PM on 09/13/12
jdr277
I got a lion in my pocket I'm lying
User Info.
I believe record labels will become obsolete because it's not really that hard to get your band out there especially if you make really good music, and the bands make so much more money doing the production themselves. From what I've seen bigger bands or going the DIY route and I'm getting cheaper CD's and the bands are making more money... seems fair to me. Also the whole digital thing is def. the future but I still feel as if there is a place for physical products, I love the artwork, and packaging, and there is a huge difference between my digital and physical collection. I usually listen to my ipod but when I want to listen to a full album I prefer a physical copy because I don't skip the songs I enjoy the record the way the band worked so hard to arrange it.
Favorite Label: Favorite Gentleman - I just really like the bands they sign and since MO is a fav of mine I also like that it's their label.
02:02 PM on 09/13/12
hello_arsonist
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I dont think labels will become obsolete but I do think they should look at their production models of just recording an album, put it out and wait for the results. Take a look at why kickstarter works, its not just about the album anymore, its the value that you can add to the album. Pre order bundles with just a t shirt are nice and all but look at City Light's kickstarter, where for a $1000.00 you can name one of the songs on their album, plus never have to pay to see them live again, get an acoustic set played for you and your friends, a video chat while the are recording plus all sorts of cool swag. You could bet your ass if Saves the Day ever had something like that whatever the costs I would take out a loan for it. Here is the thing, any band or label could do this at any time. Kickstarter is proving that there is quite a market just for interaction with your favorite band because City Lights has sold 1 of these things, and I dont even know who they are. Just think if Brand New and their label would do something like this. This users on this site alone would personally fund them all new houses, haha. The days of just selling albums are passing. Albums are free, spotify on your computer is free. You have to add value to the physical media. Do a limited run of 500 copies on vinyl with a handwritten lyric sheet and charge $35-40 bucks for it. Do another limited run with alternate artwork, hell do a 100 lot run where the artists draw on the blank sleeves. Sure it will hurt the artists hand a little bit but if Gaslight Anthem would do that, dont you think everyone of them would sell out quickly? You could probably even charge more. When releasing an album you have to do more nowadays that just release it because on release day everyone has it. You have to add value to it. And these are just a few examples on things that labels could do. Just think of what could be done if if our favorite artists were able to explore this ideas? More DIY, because in the end it is really what could save them!
02:03 PM on 09/13/12
Adam Pfleider
User Info.
I believe record labels will become obsolete because it's not really that hard to get your band out there especially if you make really good music, and the bands make so much more money doing the production themselves. From what I've seen bigger bands or going the DIY route and I'm getting cheaper CD's and the bands are making more money... seems fair to me. Also the whole digital thing is def. the future but I still feel as if there is a place for physical products, I love the artwork, and packaging, and there is a huge difference between my digital and physical collection. I usually listen to my ipod but when I want to listen to a full album I prefer a physical copy because I don't skip the songs I enjoy the record the way the band worked so hard to arrange it.
Favorite Label: Favorite Gentleman - I just really like the bands they sign and since MO is a fav of mine I also like that it's their label.
FAVORITE GENTLEMEN!!!!

YESSSS!!!

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests