Username
Password
All Posts by User
Displaying user's 1 posts.
01:02 PM on 09/13/12
hello_arsonist
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I dont think labels will become obsolete but I do think they should look at their production models of just recording an album, put it out and wait for the results. Take a look at why kickstarter works, its not just about the album anymore, its the value that you can add to the album. Pre order bundles with just a t shirt are nice and all but look at City Light's kickstarter, where for a $1000.00 you can name one of the songs on their album, plus never have to pay to see them live again, get an acoustic set played for you and your friends, a video chat while the are recording plus all sorts of cool swag. You could bet your ass if Saves the Day ever had something like that whatever the costs I would take out a loan for it. Here is the thing, any band or label could do this at any time. Kickstarter is proving that there is quite a market just for interaction with your favorite band because City Lights has sold 1 of these things, and I dont even know who they are. Just think if Brand New and their label would do something like this. This users on this site alone would personally fund them all new houses, haha. The days of just selling albums are passing. Albums are free, spotify on your computer is free. You have to add value to the physical media. Do a limited run of 500 copies on vinyl with a handwritten lyric sheet and charge $35-40 bucks for it. Do another limited run with alternate artwork, hell do a 100 lot run where the artists draw on the blank sleeves. Sure it will hurt the artists hand a little bit but if Gaslight Anthem would do that, dont you think everyone of them would sell out quickly? You could probably even charge more. When releasing an album you have to do more nowadays that just release it because on release day everyone has it. You have to add value to it. And these are just a few examples on things that labels could do. Just think of what could be done if if our favorite artists were able to explore this ideas? More DIY, because in the end it is really what could save them!
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests
RSS