AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
State Champs - Overslept Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 9
Musicianship 8.5
Lyrics 7
Production 8
Creativity 8
Lasting Value 8
Reviewer Tilt 8
Final Verdict: 81%
Member Ratings
No one has rated this album. You can be the first.
Inside AP.net

State Champs - Overslept

Reviewed by: justbradley (09/13/12)
State Champs Overslept
Record Label: Pure Noise Records
Release Date: September 11th, 2012

New York pop-punk four-piece State Champs is a band I’ve been into for awhile now. I discovered them earlier this year, and was instantly blown away. While their last EP Apparently, I’m Nothing was a good record, it was rather generic, save for vocalist Derek Discanio. His voice is very unique, especially for the genre. He reminds me of Matty Arsenault, the vocalist for fellow pop-punk band A Loss For Words; his voice has a very R&B-esque sound, and it’s absolutely fantastic. I enjoyed their last EP, but there wasn’t much lasting value in it. When I heard the first single from Overslept, “Critical,” I was very impressed. It sounded much better than anything on the last EP, and it was different. Everything improved immensely, and it was quite impressive. However, the only thing I do not like about this EP is that it’s only four songs, and two of them are new.

The EP starts off with “Intro,” which is a forty-second intro, obviously. I hate it when bands do this, because it’s so unnecessary. It’s not awful, but it’s boring. However, it does lead into the first single “Critical,” and that song immediately proves how much better the band as a whole have gotten. Everything has improved brilliantly, and it really shows. Next song “We Are the Brave” is another very interesting track, but still rather generic. Last song “Remedy” is my absolute favorite of the three. It’s insanely addictive, especially for pop-punk. The chorus is great, and the whole song is just a great pop-punk track altogether.

There’s really only one problem with this EP that I have. It’s the fact it’s so short. This band has so much potential, but they only released a four-song EP. It’s not bad, because it is new music, but two of the songs were already released in the last couple months, so it’s slightly disappointing. And the fact there’s an unnecessary intro doesn’t make things much better. The lyrics are rather average, except for certain points, where the lyrics really do shine, such as “Remedy.” The musicianship has improved quite a bit as well. Regardless, it’s a great EP by a great band that any pop-punk fan should listen to immediately.

Recommended If You Like A Loss For Words, old Fall Out Boy, pop-punk

Additional Information
Track Listing:
1. Intro
2. Critical
3. We Are the Brave
4. Remedy

State Champs is:
Tyler Szalkowski
Derek Discanio
William Goodermote
Jesse Boni

www.facebook.com/statechampsny

Displaying posts 1 - 6 of 6.
09:10 AM on 09/16/12
Keagan Ilvonen
@KeaganIlvonen
User Info.
Boom!
07:49 PM on 09/16/12
cut!print
Keep me simple, unplug my head.
User Info.
I agree with everything you said, they did a great job, but it's so apparent on the EP that they could do even better.
08:02 PM on 09/17/12
justbradley
User Info.
I agree with everything you said, they did a great job, but it's so apparent on the EP that they could do even better.
I absolutely adored this EP, but it's so disappointing that it was short. Thankfully, they announced details of a full length next year, so I'm really excited for that, honestly.
08:59 AM on 09/22/12
Archael
listens to good music
User Info.
thank god this was short, it was enjoyable but was nothing special
06:32 PM on 09/26/12
Jason Cox
User Info.
The next big name in pop-punk. Calling it now. Incredible vocals.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests