Password

Album Review

Theatria - Never Let Go Album Cover

Theatria - Never Let Go

Reviewed by
Theatria - Never Let Go
Record Label: Unsigned
Release Date: 21 August, 2012
After much anticipation from local and international fans alike, Canadian natives Theatria are back with a follow-up to their self-titled EP. Written between January and March of this year, Never Let Go signifies the beginning of a new era, as the album is the first in the band’s history to be recorded by someone other than themselves. The boys decided upon Newcomb Studios as a suitable surrogate to tenderly birth this fervent and unrestrained collection of sentimental ups and downs that paint a familiar picture of how uncertain one can be about their friends, their lovers, and, even more intimately, themselves.

Fresh and spirited opening track “Johnny Wave” displays the group’s pop sensibilities with bright guitar riffs and energetic vocals. Frontman Todd Barriage triumphantly ends this number on the highest of notes before the band fade out and into the following piece. If you thought Theatria were only here to daintily dip their feet in the water as they perform light, gentle songs, you are mistaken. Now, grab your swim trunks and bikini bottoms and make your way to the deep end – “I’m Afraid That Belongs to Me” is up next. The track hits hard immediately with a dissonant, boisterous atmosphere, fully equipped with harsh vocals and discordant guitar work. Despite the turbulence, the band still manage to slip in bits of melody here and there to retain a sense of tender charm. Aggression mitigates with the soft entrance of “Ghost Notes,” the third track of the record. “You tore me in two like I was no one at all,” Barriage chokes out in a forlorn fashion; this desolate, dreary composition is the culmination of honesty in the face of despair. Like a powerful phoenix ready to take to the skies, from its ashes grows the best tune of the album: “Unsinkable (Molly Brown)”. From inception to conclusion, the track is instrumentally full of strength and cultured melody, adeptly showcasing the band’s unmistakable potential. I would personally love to hear more material like this in the future. And so we arrive at the denouement of the work, fifth and final track, “It Had to End Eventually”. A fairly uncomplicated number, it wraps up all previous songs by releasing any remaining tension in the form of passionate wails and monstrous bellows until ultimately trailing off into oblivion, the repeated phrase “we’ll make it out alive” progressively growing fainter amongst the dissipation.

A balanced and lively record, Never Let Go proves that Theatria are, indeed, ever-growing, forward-moving, and damn determined.

Recommended If You LikePost-hardcore; Harsh vocals; Pretty melodies
This review is a user submitted review from GrayChristian. You can see all of GrayChristian's submitted reviews here.

No one has commented on this album review.
You can be the first.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version