AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Bouncing Souls, The - Comet Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8.5
Musicianship 8.5
Lyrics 8.5
Production 9
Creativity 8.5
Lasting Value 9
Reviewer Tilt 8
Final Verdict: 86%
Member Ratings
Vocals 5.38
Musicianship 5.25
Lyrics 5.38
Production 5.5
Creativity 5
Lasting Value 5
Reviewer Tilt 5.63
Average: 53%
Inside AP.net

Bouncing Souls, The - Comet

Reviewed by: justbradley (09/13/12)
Bouncing Souls, The Comet
Record Label: Rise Records / Chunksaah Records
Release Date: June 12th, 2012

Rise Records has been signing a lot of punk/pop-punk bands recently, New Jersey punk band The Bouncing Souls being one of them. I actually had been meaning to listen to them ever since Comet was released back in June of 2012. In August, I found their debut record hidden in a local Best Buy, and decided to blindly check it out. Well, I was quite impressed with what I heard, and I was not disappointed in the slightest. In fact, this was one of the best records I’ve heard all year.

The record starts off with “Baptized,” and it’s essentially a preview of what you’ll get throughout the album. However, there is a lot of variety on this record. “Baptized” is just one of the more “punk” tracks on the record. Vocalist Greg Attonito has a very distinct voice that’s perfect for this band, and I really enjoy it. The band itself is pretty straightforward, but they still deliver, nonetheless. This is also one of the best tracks on the record, too. It’s a very strong opening track, because it shows what the Souls are made out of. One of my favorite tracks is second track “Fast Times.” Lyrically, it’s a very enjoyable track, because I love what it’s about, but the title does reflect how the song sounds a bit. It’s a bit faster, which I really like. At least the chorus is a bit faster sounding. The chorus is also quite catchy, too. One reason I really liked this record and this band is how “light-hearted” their brand of punk is. It’s not too aggressive, but it’s also not poppy, either. It’s right in the middle, so anyone could enjoy it.

Second and third tracks “Static” and “Coin Toss Girl” are a one-two punch, essentially; the former is a very fast punk track, and the latter is a slower song, that sounds more like a ballad, if anything. It’s also got lyrics that are about a relationship that seems to be rather confusing for the writer. It’s a nice track that’s not cheesy, and I can personally relate to this track. Next track “Comet,” which is the title track, is one of my favorites on the record, if not my favorite. The last minute or two of the song has a very slow guitar riff that is very relaxing, and very uncommon for a punk band. I love the lyrics about comets, outer space, etc, etc. I love these lyrics. In fact, the majority of the lyrics on this record are brilliant.

The next half of the record is absolutely fantastic, too; next track “We Love Fun” is one of the silliest, yet best songs on the record. It’s literally a song all about how much the band loves fun, and how much they enjoy having fun. It’s a silly song that certainly beats the heck out of “Good Time” by Owl City. It’s the same idea, but it’s a LOT more original, and really catchy, too. Right after, “Infidel” is a short little burst of punk with a great guitar riff that just keeps it going. It’s great. “DFA” is another song that’s in the vein of “We Love Fun,” but it’s all about “down for anything,” which is a cool concept. They’re okay with going with the flow, essentially. It’s another silly song, but they make it work. After the lovely “In Sleep,” “Ship In a Bottle” is another one of my favorite tracks, and a perfect closing track. It’s an acoustic track, which is a completely turn for the record. It’s just a perfect track altogether.

There really weren’t any problems with this record; it’s a straightforward punk record that manages to stay very light-hearted, and very entertaining to listen to. It’s absolutely enjoyable. I’ve never listened to the Souls until this record, and they’ve certainly made me a fan.

Recommended If You Like It’s the Bouncing Souls. Come on.

Additional Information
Track Listing:
1. Baptized
2. Fast Times
3. Static
4. Coin Toss Girl
5. Comet
6. We Love Fun
7. Infidel
8. DFA
9. In Sleep
10. Ship In a Bottle

The Bouncing Souls is:
Greg Attonito – vocals
Pete Steinkopf – guitar
Bryan Kienlen – bass
Michael McDermott - drums

www.facebook.com/bouncingsouls

Displaying posts 1 - 8 of 8
02:44 AM on 09/17/12
InfiniteArms
Foreign everywhere I've been
User Info.
but the score is 3% ?
07:53 PM on 09/17/12
justbradley
User Info.
The score shouldn't be a 3%. I accidentally submitted it without doing the scores, haha. I'll go fix that!

Edit: Okay, I fixed it, so that should make more sense now.
12:10 PM on 09/18/12
domotime2
Like You Know Whatever
User Info.
not as good as the past like 5 bouncing souls album (tough standards)

a few standouts...coin toss girl is my dream "song with a girl" type song.
08:53 AM on 09/22/12
Archael
listens to good music
User Info.
this was a terrible terrible album
02:01 PM on 09/23/12
VinylNoob88
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Been listening to The Bouncing Souls since I was 13. Figured I'd buy this record out of loyalty. So I hope it's not as bad as the guy above me is making it out to be lol.
03:43 PM on 09/24/12
justbradley
User Info.
Been listening to The Bouncing Souls since I was 13. Figured I'd buy this record out of loyalty. So I hope it's not as bad as the guy above me is making it out to be lol.
No, it's not bad at all; I don't even listen to this kinda stuff, and I bought it because I heard such great things about it. I wasn't disappointed at all. I feel pretty confident with the ratings, haha.
03:31 PM on 09/25/12
Archael
listens to good music
User Info.
No, it's not bad at all; I don't even listen to this kinda stuff, and I bought it because I heard such great things about it. I wasn't disappointed at all. I feel pretty confident with the ratings, haha.
I'm sorry, it's not awful it's just really really boring.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums