AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Sun And The Sea, The - Nightfalls Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 9
Musicianship 10
Lyrics 9
Production 9
Creativity 9
Lasting Value 9
Reviewer Tilt 9
Final Verdict: 91%
Member Ratings
Vocals 10
Musicianship 9.5
Lyrics 10
Production 9.5
Creativity 9
Lasting Value 9.5
Reviewer Tilt 7.5
Average: 93%

Sun And The Sea, The - Nightfalls

Reviewed by: cut!print (09/14/12)
The Sun And The Sea - Nightfalls
Record Label: Unsigned
Release Date: April 24, 2012

The Graduate. A band that many of us love and hold very close to our hearts. I was late in finding them as I didn't have the pleasure of hearing their music until after they had broken up, so immediately I was upset that I didn't get the opportunity to follow them as they grew and released one of the greatest albums I have ever come to know. Much to my demise, I came across an artist randomly one day called The Sun And The Sea, with no prior knowledge as to who they were I was instantly sucked into the same charming and distinct ambient sound that The Graduate had, the sound that opened me up to a world of music I was never fond of until I listened to them, and I can't get enough of it now. Come to find out several weeks later this band was in fact the very same members of The Graduate with a new singer, I couldn't believe I hadn't heard of them sooner.

So here we are, with a new bag of tricks from one of my all time favorite artists and I couldn't be more excited. I will admit that it was a very difficult hump to get over the fact that the singer wasn't Corey, but once I did, I saw this band for what they truly are, and they are not ex-The Graduate, They are The Sun And The Sea and this is their story, their debut release, Nightfalls.

In the first few glimmering seconds of opening track/intro, "Down the Same Path" you can immediately feel that not one of these members have lost the passion they held in the past through their break up and are back and hopeful to go down the same path from whence they came (see what I did there?) but maybe even further this time. We can only hope so. One of the things I love so much about this sound is it's distinct, there is something about it that just makes you feel like everything is okay. While most of the pace of the entire album is slow it still holds you close and has a great way of building up with that signature ambient sound that makes every note feel extravagant, like it was placed right where it is for you to hear at that exact moment in time. "Something We Can All Leave Behind" follows track one and just continues to show how superb the musicianship is. This track is by far the stand out and my personal favorite. From the steady drums by Tim Moore to the soaring vocals behind some very intimate lyrics, this song has an ultimate structure. At a long 4:45 it ends on a quiet note and lingers through your brain just in time to allow the next song to strike the next chord in your heart. "It's just a memory / a silhouette in a dream / when you hold on too tight, it slips out from underneath / so things just aren't what they seem / between the sun and the sea / you never had my heart / you never were a part of me" opens stand out track number two, which will probably be a fan favorite by many, "Can't Keep Breaking Your Heart". If theirs any doubt in your mind that this new, unfamiliar singer by the name of Chris Rhein won't live up to your expectations this is the track that will subside your skepticism. He soars gracefully through the most ambient (also acoustic) track yet and does it with perfection. The chorus specifically shows just how high of notes he sustains with ease, assuring that The Sun And The Sea weren't about to pick just anyone to start anew.

The thing I like the most about this band as that they are in fact mostly members of a band that had gained praise by many and they do still have the same stand out qualities that was adored by their fans, but they still manage to separate the distinction between the two enough to where I'm not just thinking about how good The Graduate is while I'm listening to them. I get that same entranced feeling as if this is something completely different and comforting for what it is on its own two feet. I could imagine that it was not easy for this to do, even for artists as talented as they are. Nightfalls continues to shine upon its listener up until you hit track number six of the same title, which is where you start glowing. The uniqueness of this song is apparent immediately and it has a very subtle nature to it that has the ability (from experience) to allow you to lose yourself in it's embrace. The drumming is much faster than you would assume from a song of this pace and it fits almost too perfectly that I was in awe over how they pulled it off so smoothly. The vocals very much lay in the background of this song, allowing Matt Kennedy and Max Sauer to shine the potential we all know they have. Everything flows evenly and the 'oh-oh-oh's' really make that apparent for the melody. "So Far Away" even manages to bring the bass up to par in it's sound as it is obviously the stand out of the track with it's consistency and vocal driving intensity.

It's safe to say The Sun And The Sea are here to stay for awhile, barely getting started and having no label to back them it's astounding to hear how advanced everything about them is and how everything they touch is gold. Sure, you may feel the album should pick up a bit more at times, but it doesn't need to. When you're in the right mood nothing can top the pleasure you get from hearing such delicacy. I imagine where this band will go if they gained label support and a larger fan-base and the possibilities are endless. I rarely hear music that I can consider flawless but if their was ever a time to do so, now is it and I won't take back what I said. So if you're a fan of talent what so ever, give this band a listen or you'll be missing out on what I hope to be a glorious journey.

Here: http://thesunandthesea.bandcamp.com/

Recommended If You Like The Graduate; experimental Indie; Days Away/Good Old War; From Indian Lakes; good music

Displaying posts 1 - 9 of 9
08:55 AM on 09/22/12
Archael
listens to good music
User Info.
excellent album, awesome awesome band, not nearly as good as only every time, however. The graduate is one of my favorite bands ever.

7/10
10:08 AM on 09/22/12
Archael
listens to good music
User Info.
I agree with most of this review and the RIYL, especially the last bit.
03:49 PM on 09/22/12
cut!print
Keep me simple, unplug my head.
User Info.
excellent album, awesome awesome band, not nearly as good as only every time, however. The graduate is one of my favorite bands ever.

7/10
No, I agree with you there for sure. Only Every Time will he hard for anyone to top in my book. Thank you for the kind words.
04:02 PM on 09/22/12
Archael
listens to good music
User Info.
No, I agree with you there for sure. Only Every Time will he hard for anyone to top in my book. Thank you for the kind words.
Yeah, band rules. Only Every Time is the album that holds the personally record for growing on me. From a 5/10 from the first listen to a 9/10 now (keep in mind, I tend to rate things very low).

I think they need to expand their sound, keep the slower ballady songs but they definitely need more rocking songs like All At Once and Siren. Maybe expand on their alternative prog tendencies. Otherwise, I doubt they'll ever top Only Every Time. Not that it would be easy to do.
11:21 PM on 09/22/12
cut!print
Keep me simple, unplug my head.
User Info.
Yeah, band rules. Only Every Time is the album that holds the personally record for growing on me. From a 5/10 from the first listen to a 9/10 now (keep in mind, I tend to rate things very low).

I think they need to expand their sound, keep the slower ballady songs but they definitely need more rocking songs like All At Once and Siren. Maybe expand on their alternative prog tendencies. Otherwise, I doubt they'll ever top Only Every Time. Not that it would be easy to do.
Well, no offense to you at all, but I think if they really wanted to write songs like Only Every Time, they probably would have. This just seemed more or less like an experimental phase the band is having with it's first release. I'm sure over time they will expand, but it must be difficult when they are doing it all themselves with no label or producers. I am personally content with what the have made on Nightfalls. Especially because it's not Only Every Time two, as much as I love that album.

Also, if you've listened to the B-Sides and Sea Legs stuff The Graduate released at the end of their career it follows the same pattern of sound TSATS has right now.
05:44 AM on 09/23/12
Archael
listens to good music
User Info.
Well, no offense to you at all, but I think if they really wanted to write songs like Only Every Time, they probably would have. This just seemed more or less like an experimental phase the band is having with it's first release. I'm sure over time they will expand, but it must be difficult when they are doing it all themselves with no label or producers. I am personally content with what the have made on Nightfalls. Especially because it's not Only Every Time two, as much as I love that album.

Also, if you've listened to the B-Sides and Sea Legs stuff The Graduate released at the end of their career it follows the same pattern of sound TSATS has right now.
I didn't want them to make songs like Only Every Time, I just wanted them to write more rock type of songs. Siren and All At Once were the most rock songs on that album, but what I meant could easily have been in the vein of Anhedonia or I Survived.

But yeah, this album doesn't seem like Only Every Time part 2, but it does seem like a very natural progression.
01:02 PM on 09/30/12
mattjritter
USMNT ♦ AVFC
User Info.
I really like this EP a lot. Probably because the first time I heard it was on the drive back from Coachella (3 day trip).

And it's really good.
05:37 PM on 12/30/12
bl0kh3d
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
truly happy i read this. the graduate really grabbed my soul and im very happy to see they didnt die just transformed listening to nightlife right now cant be happier unless i was listening to only every time
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests