AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Morning Of, The - The World As We Know It Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 9
Musicianship 8.25
Lyrics 7
Production 8.75
Creativity 7
Lasting Value 8.5
Reviewer Tilt 8.75
Final Verdict: 82%
Member Ratings
Vocals 9.41
Musicianship 9.05
Lyrics 8.98
Production 8.97
Creativity 9.2
Lasting Value 9.17
Reviewer Tilt 8.94
Average: 91%
Inside AP.net

Morning Of, The - The World As We Know It

Reviewed by: Steve Henderson (01/13/08)
The Morning Of The World As We Know It
Release Date: January 29, 2008
Record Label: Tragic Hero Records

Lineup changes for bands can often hurt, cripple, or outright kill an ensemble. So, to see an act that actually comes out stronger post-roster shuffle? Well, that is a rare one indeed. Be that as it may, it is exactly the case in the short-but-long story of The Morning Of. As they now stand, the group has all the right ingredients to be a breakout success, appealing to many different sets of fans. And luckily for those fans, The Morning Of makes good on this promise of potential, and with The World As We Know It, releases an album that meets both meets the expectations leading up to its release and the praise that is sure to follow.

For those unfamiliar with the band, The Morning Of has evolved into its current state as a nifty little boy/girl pop band. And while this biographical detail might seem like a small footnote in itself, it is exactly what gives the band the most noteworthy aspects of its dynamic. Thus, while Justin Wiley and Jessica Leplon are indeed talented vocalists in their own right, it is they way they work together and play off one another that makes the songs truly something special, and lends that extra push that helps them stand out from a crowded scene.

After a somewhat overdramatic intro track, the guys (and girl) here don’t take much time to hit their stride with “Let Your Spirit Soar,” which is a wonderful introduction to the band’s sound. An upbeat number, Justin and Jessica’s dueling vocals carry the first verse forward into the explosive chorus, which then propels the song forward with a newfound momentum through its end. “Reverie,” the band’s first single, is an incredible display of talent, as the subdued piano-centric patience of its verses belies the catchiness of its hook. When it comes time to belt out, “Lord get me out of this city tonight / cause you were what made me feel alive / here I am again running away from the truth / just know that you move me like I’ve never been moved!” it is like the band is daring you not to sing along. I have spent many a car ride yelling those words at the top of my lungs, and you know what? It never gets old. From there, the somber balladry of “The New Is In” is another highlight, with its delicate twinkling of the ivory, remarkable vocal harmonies, and overall emotional weight. “Shine” is an equally affecting and gorgeous number which expertly layers Jessica’s vocals just behind Justin’s for a nice presentation of the fragile package in tow (which still lights it up with a big hook).

Besides those numbers, the rest of The World As We Know It is still immediately listenable, if a little less remarkable than the rest of the record. It is certainly nice to see Jessica anchoring a song on her own with “Violins and Trees (Unforgettable).” And pretty much everything else is just good old, solid pop/rock music. “There’s a Bully in the Park” is a bit of a stumbling point, with its bizarrely discordant riffs that sound a little out of place with the overall sweetness of the record’s remainder.

All in all, with The World As We Know It, The Morning Of have proven themselves. Plain and simple. With bands breaking up left and right, it is refreshing to see a group that stuck it out through some tough times and came out on the other end stronger than ever before. The Morning Of is an excellent band, and they should go extremely far with this record.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 53
12:10 AM on 01/13/08
Blake Solomon
Leave a one-way note.
User Info.
yes yes yes yes! Fans are going to love it and new listeners will have a no problem adding this to their long list of musical addictions.
07:55 AM on 01/13/08
LillieDesigns
Orange, CA
User Info.
I actually enjoy "A Bully in the Park" but I feel it's the only song the old vocalist did better. I love this band and recommend them constantly to whoever will listen.
08:11 AM on 01/13/08
G apostrophe Ra
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
So curious about this band. I'm thinking I'll pick this up.
09:10 AM on 01/13/08
tm decomposer
KEMBA WALKER 4 PREZ!!
User Info.
Great story this band has behind them.

Great review Steve.. I agree with everything. Having the album already, its a huge step up.
09:24 AM on 01/13/08
PatMarquez13
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Wonderfully written. Fantastic review. Actually agree with every single point you made.
04:16 PM on 01/13/08
applesandcyanid
Trollin' Absolutepunk.
User Info.
So fucking pumped to listen to this.
06:24 PM on 01/13/08
SubrosaSeductiv
myspace.com/eyesontheprizenj
User Info.
Hahah what's so weird is I was in their bus listening to this before it was released and there was no vocals. Justin was singing along with his own tracks. Me and a fews other members of different bands were just laughing in the vand 'cause he was so stoked.

He's the one laughing now I guess. I'm pretty happy for these dudes (and girl).

If any of you fans out there get a chance to see them live you definitely should, its a pretty energetic show.
08:43 PM on 01/13/08
saysmydoctor
Resident New Yorker
User Info.
Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrreat band. Deserves more attention.
10:55 PM on 01/13/08
Heart-A-Tact
User Info.
Good review. Stoked for this album.
06:41 AM on 01/14/08
Snails
see the benefits.
User Info.
I just pre-ordered this. Very excited!
07:33 AM on 01/14/08
kearn1tm
l;ajdfkoeiwptn.zbmzn,.vnv m,ekdo
User Info.
Great review. I've been listening to the Digital EP recently, and I'm pumped for the album.
07:35 AM on 01/14/08
boykosaurus
---
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Found out about this band on this site a while ago, I have to get this album.
07:35 AM on 01/14/08
aloneatlastnj
just a quiet evening
User Info.
Hahah what's so weird is I was in their bus listening to this before it was released and there was no vocals. Justin was singing along with his own tracks. Me and a fews other members of different bands were just laughing in the vand 'cause he was so stoked.

He's the one laughing now I guess. I'm pretty happy for these dudes (and girl).

If any of you fans out there get a chance to see them live you definitely should, its a pretty energetic show.

yeah man. justin's done A LOT for these guys. his voice is fuckin' ace.
07:46 AM on 01/14/08
mutiny
voldiemort
User Info.
good review! i can't wait for this album.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums