Username
Password
RIAA News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
RIAA
Inside AP.net

CD Rippers: The EFF Is Your Friend

Posted by: Tony Pascarella (01/14/08)
The Electronic Frontier Foundation is arguing that the RIAA needs to prove users are actually sharing music as opposed to simply ripping music to their computers.
From the ArticleThe labels allege that 11 specific tracks were shared by the Howells, though the only evidence of such sharing was the fact that the files were in a shared folder and were also downloaded by the RIAA's investigative arm, MediaSentry (now SafeNet). According to the EFF, though, this simply is not evidence of actual copyright infringement.

Displaying posts 1 - 10 of 10
08:12 AM on 01/14/08
Why Bother?
#SOSVenezuela
User Info.
Give it a rest already.
08:25 AM on 01/14/08
SgtFumunda
God's away on business.
User Info.
That's pretty crazy, but I would say it's a pretty strong case. Then again, I also know little to nothing about the court system.
08:33 AM on 01/14/08
Tony Pascarella
User
User Info.
It blows me away how many advocacy groups there are.

In other news, the person that lost that big file sharing case recently fired the attorney who was apparently extremely unqualified to argue that case. What I read said he wasn't even doing media law.
09:53 AM on 01/14/08
briewer
sunonthesand.com
User Info.
The RIAA is turning into the NCAA: Large and powerful as hell, yet utterly useless pinheaded pencil pushers.
10:11 AM on 01/14/08
xeightoh3xx
Solidkleenex
User Info.
The RIAA is turning into the NCAA: Large and powerful as hell, yet utterly useless pinheaded pencil pushers.

Great comparison; that story a last week (or a few days ago, I don't remember) about EMI cutting funding to the RIAA and it's sister groups is interesting. If all of this pans out like the DRM situation (EMI was the first to give DRM free downloads) then the rest of the majors should follow along shortly...that being said, it's cases like this that show how little evidence is used to accuse citizens of 'copyright infringement'. Right now I have around 1500 songs on my computer, all (well most of them) bought via the iTunes store or by ripping the CD to my computer. So, by this standard by 'sharing' my iTunes library (a default option that comes with the program) I am subject to legal action?
10:17 AM on 01/14/08
Tony Pascarella
User
User Info.
Great comparison; that story a last week (or a few days ago, I don't remember) about EMI cutting funding to the RIAA and it's sister groups is interesting. If all of this pans out like the DRM situation (EMI was the first to give DRM free downloads) then the rest of the majors should follow along shortly...that being said, it's cases like this that show how little evidence is used to accuse citizens of 'copyright infringement'. Right now I have around 1500 songs on my computer, all (well most of them) bought via the iTunes store or by ripping the CD to my computer. So, by this standard by 'sharing' my iTunes library (a default option that comes with the program) I am subject to legal action?
Under the strict interpretation of the RIAA's current stance, yes. They've been saying you don't have the license to rip the CD to your computer for personal use.

(Which is part of what the EFF is arguing is ludicrous.)
10:55 AM on 01/14/08
Adam Pfleider
wait. what were we talking about?
User Info.
i wrote a column about this today...

http://media.www.lsureveille.com/med...-3150381.shtml
08:12 PM on 01/14/08
Adrian Villagomez
West of the World
User Info.
Never heard of the EFF, but I love them already.
08:40 AM on 01/15/08
Rest_Easy
accidentally on purpose
User Info.
Hmmm so you need to prove illegal actions now? How interesting.
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests