AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Real Friends - Acoustic Songs EP Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8
Musicianship 8
Lyrics 8
Production 8
Creativity 8
Lasting Value 8
Reviewer Tilt 8
Final Verdict: 80%
Member Ratings
Vocals 9.38
Musicianship 8.75
Lyrics 9.5
Production 9.13
Creativity 8.63
Lasting Value 9.25
Reviewer Tilt 9.63
Average: 92%

Real Friends - Acoustic Songs EP

Reviewed by: justbradley (09/20/12)
Real Friends Ė Acoustic Songs EP
Record Label: Unsigned
Release Date: May 15th, 2012

Chicago, IL band Real Friends is a pop-punk band I havenít been listening to for very long, but I really wish I discovered them sooner. After releasing second EP ďEveryone That Dragged You HereĒ in January, they released an acoustic EP in May simply titled, ďAcoustic Songs.Ē I like that title because thatís exactly what you get Ė four acoustic songs, plain and simple. Thereís not a lot here, but what is on this EP is great.

The EP starts off with a new song entitled ďIíve Never Been Home,Ē and itís a great little acoustic track. Itís rather short, but itís absolutely wonderful. Vocalist Dan Lambton works quite well with acoustic stuff, and the lyrics on this EP are absolutely fantastic. One thing I like about Real Friends (and pop-punk in general) is home quotable and relatable their lyrics are. Itís also fantastic that theyíre from the Midwest, which is where I live. ďIíve Never Been HomeĒ is only about two minutes, so it leaves a bit to be desired, but itís enjoyable. The next three tracks are tracks that appeared on ďEveryone That Dragged You Here,Ē and ironically, theyíre my three favorite tracks. So, how do they translate acoustically? Quite well, actually.

The songs arenít really too altered, but just done acoustically. The thing I like most is how crisp and clear Lambtonís voice is, so I can actually understand what heís saying. Because itís acoustic, these songs sound much more emotional. I absolutely adore this EP, even though itís only 12 minutes. Thatís the main thing that annoys me about it, but itís forgivable, because itís really fantastic.

Whether or not youíre new to Real Friends, I would certainly check this out, because it shows off what they do best. Itís also free on their bandcamp, and you canít pass up free stuff, right?

Recommended If You Like Transit, I Call Fives, With the Punches, pop-punk

Additional Information
Track Listing:
1. Iíve Never Been Home
2. Anchor Down (acoustic)
3. Floorboards (acoustic)
4. Home for Fall (acoustic)

Real Friends is:
Kyle Fasel- bass
Dave Knox- guitar
Dan Lambton- vocals
Brian Blake- drums
Eric Haines- guitar

www.facebook.com/realfriendsband

www.realfriends.bandcamp.com

Displaying posts 1 - 2 of 2
03:28 PM on 09/25/12
Archael
listens to good music
User Info.
Good band, not a fan of acoustic albums.
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests