AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Interview

Silent Land Time Machine - 09.20.12

Interviewed by
Silent Land Time Machine - 09.20.12The following is a mini interview of generic questions that we posed to all bands that wanted to answer:

Silent Land Time Machine

Bandcamp

1. How did you get your band name?

I was riding a train to West Texas, reading a book about neuro-psychology (concerning individuals who had specifically had their hippocampus separated and the implications of that procedure) called Into the Silent Land. It's about the intangibility of the soul and how it has no physical essence - positing that there is no soul, thus, the mind is a "silent land". If this hypothesis was true, I felt the need to construct such a vessel to move throughout the environment of my mind - thus, the string of words "silent land time machine" came to mind, and I wrote the seemingly passing thought down in my journal.

2. How did this band get started?

By layering guitar and violin (at the time) onto a minidisc player after discovering that the audio-input on the back of my tower computer was still functional.

3. What bands are you influenced by?

Nubouo Uematsu (Final Fantasy series), Yasunori Mitsuda (Chrono Trigger), Godspeed You! Black Emperor, Paavoharju, Burial, Kemialliset Ystävät, Do Make Say Think, Polmo Polpo, le Fly Pan Am, Hangedup, Rachel's, Silver Mt. Zion

4. If you could tour with any bands, past or present, who would they be and why?

Godspeed - would love to jump in on string arrangements between shows and on the road - total wishful thought there, though.

5. Best food to eat on tour?

LOCAL cuisine - always different, always unique, something you can't get at home...I've found that planning stops at best-eats places in various cities is one of the major highlights of touring - it's also one of the points of major premeditation, almost as much as shows!

6. Why should people listen to your band?

Because, if seen as an example, people will realize that you don't need to know how to play any instruments or how to produce music to play instruments and produce music (I am neither a trained string player, or audio engineer, but do both) - I've also caught a review or two that mentioned that, when listening to SLTM, that one can 'emerge as a new being', which may be of interest to some folks.

7. If you could be any athlete, which athlete would you switch places with?

Emil Zátopek, so that I could always smile when I ran for 24h straight.

8. If you won a Grammy, who would you thank?

Carl Jung. I would also thank all the sound and light design people, who had probably been working on that site for weeks, whom no one will ever know, let alone thank.

9. If you could change something about the music industry, what would it be?

I would change the fetishism surrounding the personality of the artist/band/project and shift the emphasis of music journalism onto the work itself, making a conscious separation between the psychology of the artist and the psychology of artistic expression, whereas they are seen as inextricable components in our modern ego-centric age, of which the music industry and music journalism is a part. See Jung's Psychology and Literature for a more thorough and macrocosmic explanation.

10. Memorable tour experience?

While in CT, driving up to Maine, a dude at a gas station, appearing and smelling quite drunk, emphatically insisted that we (myself and Stef from SLEEP∞OVER, and Austin from Pure X (then all in the late/great SILVER PINES (RIP))) follow him to his step-daughter's house and join her band, Gabriella Michelle - she was looking for two bass players and two drummers. When we declined, he informed us that he was just trying to help our careers, and that we were really "fucking up".

11. What does AP.net mean to you?

When you put "AP.net", it makes me think of the associated press. But, what Absolute Punks means to me? I would say AP means a digital extension, in the McLuhan-esque sense, of our senses which the punk aesthetic appeals - I would posit that this spirit is in line with the true "spirit" of music, that being a highly individual, and individuated, expression that is not restricted by commercial constraints or generations of formatting. "Punks" indeed.

12. What is your favorite song to play?

I like to play the theme from LotR, "the shire", quite frequently. Or the "overworld" theme, and general theme, from Final Fantasy VI.

13. What is your vacation spot of choice?

Switzerland. Preferably Bollingen tower.

14. What music reminds you of your childhood?

Soundtracks to Squaresoft games.

15. If you could have any super power, what would it be? Why?

Invisibility - it would mean that I was the holder of the ring of power (the one that gathers them in the darkness and binds them).

16. Any pre-show superstitions or rituals?

Yoga, breathing, forgetting my name and anything else that has to do with my conscious self.

17. What is something that most fans don't know about you?

Hopefully they know almost nothing about me. Most of them don't know my name, what I look like, or that I've never taken a violin or viola lesson before.

18. What is your assessment of the current state of radio? Do you think it's a place where your band could flourish?

It depends. On independent radio, say, WFMU or Fluid Radio in the UK, yeah, SLTM would do, and does, just fine. Clear Channel programming? No. I have no interest in signing their papers or conceding to other expression-limiting-formatting (read: running times, long band names, long album titles, anonymous artists, et al).

19. What do you like to do in your spare time?

I frequently study the work of CG Jung, UX design, cognitive psychology, user-interface design rules, and biointensive gardening.

20. What kind of hidden talents do you have?

I have recently discovered that I can make an omelet, and can raise cats.

No one has commented on this interview.
You can be the first.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests