AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

08:25 PM on 12/05/12 
User Info.
Omarion
No Avatar Selected
Male - 29 Years Old
Sorry Craig Manning is a staff member and you cannot ignore them.
08:44 PM on 12/05/12 
User Info.
blimpcityhero11
#WreckThisLeague
Akron, OH
Male - 27 Years Old
Zero Dark Thirty has now gotten Best Picture awards from National Board of Review and NYFCC. Can it get LA?

http://www.hitfix.com/in-contention/...re-of-the-year
I can't wait to see this. Outside of Argo and Moonrise Kingdom, there hasn't been much that has truly impressed me thus far. I'm seeing Silver Linings Playbook on Friday, which I'm pretty excited for. Otherwise, it seems like Lincoln (I thought it was good, not great), Zero Dark Thirty, and Les Miserables are the other favorites for Best Picture. I don't think Moonrise will get a nomination, but Life of Pi seems to be the only other film that might push it to 6. While there hasn't been too much chatter about it yet, it'll be interesting to see what kind of reviews/awards buzz is generated by Django Unchained as well.
08:57 PM on 12/05/12 
User Info.
Craig Manning
Down in Jungleland
Staff Member
I can't wait to see this. Outside of Argo and Moonrise Kingdom, there hasn't been much that has truly impressed me thus far. I'm seeing Silver Linings Playbook on Friday, which I'm pretty excited for. Otherwise, it seems like Lincoln (I thought it was good, not great), Zero Dark Thirty, and Les Miserables are the other favorites for Best Picture. I don't think Moonrise will get a nomination, but Life of Pi seems to be the only other film that might push it to 6. While there hasn't been too much chatter about it yet, it'll be interesting to see what kind of reviews/awards buzz is generated by Django Unchained as well.

I'm positively certain the field will at least make it to six (most Oscar bloggers are tipping Argo, Les Mis, Lincoln, Zero Dark Thirty, Life of Pi, and Silver Linings as the safe bets). I personally would bet on Django as well, and wouldn't be surprised to see Beasts of the Southern Wild, Moonrise Kingdom, or The Master in the mix either.

I'm with you on Lincoln. DDL gives the best performance of the year, but the film oscillated between fascination and boredom for me. Loved Silver Linings, loved Argo, can't wait for Django, Les Mis, or Zero, and if I had my way, Skyfall and Perks of Being a Wallflower would slip into the mix as well.
09:01 PM on 12/05/12 
User Info.
brandon_260
Jasper, Alberta
Male - 21 Years Old
DDL's performance is the only thing enjoyable about Lincoln, but it is far from the best performance this year.
09:04 PM on 12/05/12 
User Info.
PAPER R1VAL
#YANKS
No Avatar Selected
South Carolina
Male - 25 Years Old
DDL's performance is the only thing enjoyable about Lincoln, but it is far from the best performance this year.

Joaquin Phoenix should win Best Actor.

I've heard that Bradley Cooper is excellent in Silver Linings Playbook. I can't believe it isn't a wide release yet.
09:11 PM on 12/05/12 
User Info.
blimpcityhero11
#WreckThisLeague
Akron, OH
Male - 27 Years Old
I'm positively certain the field will at least make it to six (most Oscar bloggers are tipping Argo, Les Mis, Lincoln, Zero Dark Thirty, Life of Pi, and Silver Linings as the safe bets). I personally would bet on Django as well, and wouldn't be surprised to see Beasts of the Southern Wild, Moonrise Kingdom, or The Master in the mix either.

I'm with you on Lincoln. DDL gives the best performance of the year, but the film oscillated between fascination and boredom for me. Loved Silver Linings, loved Argo, can't wait for Django, Les Mis, or Zero, and if I had my way, Skyfall and Perks of Being a Wallflower would slip into the mix as well.
Totally agree on Perks. I'd love to see Ezra Miller get a Supporting Actor nomination. I actually wasn't as big of a fan of Skyfall as everyone else seemed to be though.
09:13 PM on 12/05/12 
User Info.
Craig Manning
Down in Jungleland
Staff Member
Totally agree on Perks. I'd love to see Ezra Miller get a Supporting Actor nomination. I actually wasn't as big of a fan of Skyfall as everyone else seemed to be though.

I'm a huge, huge Bond fan, and Skyfall met my every expectation. That's exactly what I want out of a Blockbuster. Perks was such a terrific surprise. Definitely top five of the year for me.
09:18 PM on 12/05/12 
User Info.
brandon_260
Jasper, Alberta
Male - 21 Years Old
Joaquin Phoenix should win Best Actor.

I've heard that Bradley Cooper is excellent in Silver Linings Playbook. I can't believe it isn't a wide release yet.
Joaquin Phoenix is definitely the first performance I thought of. Mary Elizabeth Winstead in Smashed was phenomenal as well. I can't believe Cooper's performance is getting the praise it is. It's a strong performance by his previous track record, but still very average.
09:27 PM on 12/05/12 
User Info.
PAPER R1VAL
#YANKS
No Avatar Selected
South Carolina
Male - 25 Years Old
Joaquin Phoenix is definitely the first performance I thought of. Mary Elizabeth Winstead in Smashed was phenomenal as well. I can't believe Cooper's performance is getting the praise it is. It's a strong performance by his previous track record, but still very average.

Supposedly Cooper portrayed a bipolar person to perfection. It is surprisingly that such an average actor is getting high praise.

Smashed was excellent, and I hope Winstead gets recognition.
10:22 PM on 12/05/12 
User Info.
Craig Manning
Down in Jungleland
Staff Member
I've never particularly liked Cooper, but he does a phenomenal job in Silver Linings. Not best-of-the-year phenomenal, but I won't be upset if he gets an Oscar nomination.
04:34 PM on 12/09/12 
User Info.
Craig Manning
Down in Jungleland
Staff Member
Amour and The Master got a boost from LYFCA today.

http://www.hitfix.com/in-contention/...iation-winners
04:37 PM on 12/09/12 
User Info.
thesafeword
-
Portland, OR
Male
The Master should sweep film, director and actor. But it won't, because the academy sucks.
04:38 PM on 12/09/12 
User Info.
Little Ferret
Play that tune
North Carolina
Male - 25 Years Old
They got a lot right. At least Cooper didn't win.

Now I just need to see Zero Dark Thirty and Amour.
04:55 PM on 12/09/12 
User Info.
Tetragrammaton
Male - 26 Years Old
Awards will always be the biggest cancer of cinema.
05:07 PM on 12/09/12 
User Info.
TJ Wells
i'll see you at the movies.
Portland, OR
Male - 27 Years Old
Don't think The Master will (nor should it) get a BP nom. At the moment I'd say Argo, Lincoln, Silver Linings Playbook, Les Miserables, Zero Dark Thirty, Amour, Life of Pi. Beasts, Moonrise Kingdom, or The Master will be the wildcard(s). Django will need some serious guild love.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos