All Posts by User
Displaying user's 9 posts
10:34 AM on 09/21/12
ChaseTx
*sophomore album

not their debut
11:01 AM on 09/21/12
ChaseTx
We had this debate the other day, but "Conversation Piece" is considered the debut full length.
How's so? Plan B is a full length album, not a demo or an EP. It was self-released, so Conversation Piece is their label debut, but not their debut album. If that's your Storenvy, it even says sophomore there.
11:53 AM on 09/21/12
ChaseTx
This isn't a valid discussion. It has aesthetic appeal and a nostalgia factor and is more exciting to have than a file on your computer.

Same as vinyl. As much as people will argue that vinyl somehow sounds better than digital, it's real appeal is its aesthetic and tangibility.
12:11 PM on 09/21/12
ChaseTx
Knowing the structure of Latin grammar can be quite helpful in learning grammatical rules of other languages. Latin is actually known as the best language to help people master proper English. As far as cassettes go, in which aspect is the product best out of all audio mediums? Cost, maybe, but let's say you could choose a record, cassette, compact disc, or an album's digital files for free; each of the same album. What would prompt you as a listener to choose a cassette? I'm not saying the format is completely valueless, but simply unnecessary.
Cassette has less appeal than vinyl but is much cheaper. In comparison to CD and mp3, it just has different appeal. If I have an album on vinyl or cassette, I do want to have a digital or CD copy as well... But if I have a CD or digital copy of an album that I really like, I'll want a vinyl or (to a lesser degree) cassette copy.
03:02 PM on 09/21/12
ChaseTx
Kurt really has a thing for Cassettes. Didn't he do this with his solo work?
Yep, I've been meaning to buy that cassette. So good.
11:49 PM on 09/21/12
ChaseTx
I don't think bands will ever sell music on USB drives, unless someone invents a kind that can only hold that music and can't be erased. They'd basically be selling cheap flash drives because people can just buy the drives and then delete all the music out. It'd also be really impractical because it would be easy to lose, and although it allows MP3's to be somewhat more tangible, it wouldn't bring any different experience than buying it on iTunes/Amazon.

Seeing how everyone and their mom owns a smart phone, if I were in a band, I'd put QR codes that link to my music at the merch tables or van or something.

Just throwing my two cents in, I also can't understand the appeal that cassette tapes have- would you buy a movie in VHS if you can have it on Blu-Ray for only a couple of more dollars?
There've been many albums released on custom flash drives.
12:17 PM on 09/22/12
ChaseTx
Let's not use Blu-Ray then, maybe just an HD copy of the movie. Sure beats the hell out of VHS.

I don't mean that people are gonna buy the band's drive just to delete all the music in it and never listen to it. I mean, now that it's on their computer, they delete it, and now they got your music and a flash drive.

As far as being easily transferable, of course it is, because they're selling you electronic files. It's also just as easily transferable downloading from iTunes/Amazon/bandcamp, etc.

More space isn't an issue. If you want to sell an album, it will probably never hit over 128MB (the smallest these things come in) in CDQ. Unless you wanna sell your discography, in which case you probably have a dedicated fan, who's more likely to buy vinyl or CD.

Speed won't really be an issue either, transferring from CD to your computer is effortless and fast. Even more so with downloads.

It'd also be an impractical sale. A 128MB flash drive goes for about $3 online, and charge $5 for maybe 10 songs, and my imaginary DIY band is losing money. The only sensible place to sell these drives is at the merch table, where you could buy a CD for $2 more. The CD is now looking like a deal that's a million times better. I might buy the flash drive if I really only have $8 on me.

Okay, your car can play music from a flash drive, but most music fans have iPods/something similar (and now the space advantage flash drive has becomes a HUGE disadvantage) and just plug it into the auxiliary port in their car or the device they bought to play through the car speakers.

I guess I can see a few small advantages of selling music in USB drives, but I can't think of a way where it makes sense to start selling them as band.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00125Z24G/absolutepunk-20/ r=8-1&keywords=a+bullet+for+my+valentin e+usb

http://www.thedailyswarm.com/headlin...hy-jimmy-page/

http://store.flaminglips.com/misc/th...my-fetus1.html

couple examples... the door is open for that format. CDs are already obsolete for most people, but a good proportion of the population wants tangible music packaging. USB fulfills both our need for digital music and our love for physical media
01:44 PM on 09/23/12
ChaseTx
I get it, some bands do it, I still think it's a bad idea. I mean, like I pointed out earlier, those prices are ridiculous. I guess it's because they made them into novelty items, but $98 for an album in a flash drive and some commentary and wallpapers, $35 candy and three songs is insane.

And USBs are pretty intangible. You can hold it, but everything about using it is electronic.
that's because those releases were limited runs. If it becomes more common, you could buy them at a cheaper price (I don't think that ABFMV USB retailed for much or any more than the CD). And you can package it with a CD booklet or whatever, and the drive looks cooler than a disc. You can put a USB input into any stereo, so that's not a problem. Just saying this is a viable next gen format, not that it will necessarily happen.
02:10 PM on 09/24/12
ChaseTx
The Amazon listing says $98.
Thatís just because itís out of print (or however youíd phrase that for this medium). I saw it at a Hot Topic when it came out for $10-20.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos