AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password
All Posts by User
Displaying user's 22 posts.
09:25 AM on 09/21/12
Holly HoX!
User Info.
Tapes are awesome. Not too hip to this band, but, yeah, tapes are awesome.
09:36 AM on 09/21/12
Holly HoX!
User Info.
...Why? Why cassette tapes?! Are people THAT hipster? Who even has a cassette player anymore?!

I hope this is sarcasm. If not, you are a supreme moron.
10:00 AM on 09/21/12
Holly HoX!
User Info.
What makes cassette tapes hipster? It's a format that has seen better days, sure, but I can tell you now that people all over the world in all shapes and sizes still embrace it as part of their daily lives.

Look at the post ALLB made on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/ALotLikeBird...69597273062352

People still love and accept this format. Even if most household stereos have done away with tape decks, there will be automobiles with tape decks on the road for years to come. Carry tapes ensures your cds won't be ruined and saves you from having to purchase a tape-converter for your ipod.

And it's very cost efficient. My favorite (mostly) tape label:

Moon Glyph
10:38 AM on 09/21/12
Holly HoX!
User Info.
Really? So... Tell me... What's your use for a cassette, do you have a cassette player? Or do you just go around calling people, "supreme moron's"... That insult belongs back in time with cassette players.

1. Cassettes are very cost effective. Cheap!
2. They are another physical medium that is better than a digital file. It's something that looks cool, sounds cool and can take up real estate on a merchant table.
3. Many many DIY bands rely on this format now for the two reasons above
4. It's also an aesthetic preference, just like vinyl. Cassettes have their own character and warmth to them, which some people prefer.
5. Entire labels are based off tape releases because there is a large underground audience that loves them. It's a community. Look up Burger Records. The medium has never died, especially in the punk community, which males your comments all the more ironic and moronic.

What's my use for a cassette? Oh idk maybe to listen to it.
10:39 AM on 09/21/12
Holly HoX!
User Info.
Sure, people still have cassette players and could still use them, but they're as obsolete as VCRs, which every also still has. Would anyone actually prefer watching movies videotape, though? Probably for nostalgic reasons only. As far as audio quality and durability go, there are better formats for both than cassette.

Yeah, well some people still take the time to learn Latin in 2012, so, yeah.
10:44 AM on 09/21/12
Holly HoX!
User Info.
would argue against this in the objective all day.

I'm not talking about sound quality. You can't put an MP3 on a merch table.
11:01 AM on 09/21/12
Holly HoX!
User Info.
One could even argue, you can get USB sticks real cheap now, it's only a matter of time before people start selling their albums on them... Physical, cheap, infinitely better than cassettes, not some hipster shit, and if you hold them in your hand long enough, they'll be pretty warm.

You saying "Hipster shit" makes you look like a fucking dolt.

I'm not arguing alternatives, I'm simply telling why people enjoy cassettes. That's it. I prefer vinyl, obviously, but I understand the appeal of cassettes. And I'm also not ignorant enough to dismiss it as "Hipster shit."

ChaseTX said it best. That's all there is to it.
11:02 AM on 09/21/12
Holly HoX!
User Info.
makes a little more sense, but i wouldn't be surprised if download cards (essentially an mp3 on a merch table) or even something like a usb drive would sell better than a cassette.

that said, if we're going with near-dead formats, i'd much rather have this album on vinyl.

You don't need to review Neilson's Soundscan numbers of the last five years to realize vinyl isn't going anywhere anytime soon.
11:04 AM on 09/21/12
Holly HoX!
User Info.
Learning a language that has a significant importance in history is not the same as listening to a cassette tape.

Semantics. It's the same argument.
11:06 AM on 09/21/12
Holly HoX!
User Info.
Knowing the structure of Latin grammar can be quite helpful in learning grammatical rules of other languages. Latin is actually known as the best language to help people master proper English. As far as cassettes go, in which aspect is the product best out of all audio mediums? Cost, maybe, but let's say you could choose a record, cassette, compact disc, or an album's digital files for free; each of the same album. What would prompt you as a listener to choose a cassette? I'm not saying the format is completely valueless, but simply unnecessary.

1. You guys are taking the Latin comment way too literal. How about Druid language. There you go.
2. It's personal preference. Why do people still buy Laserdiscs? (They do).
11:08 AM on 09/21/12
Holly HoX!
User Info.
I think this is a great and fair discussion and I don't think anyone is wrong for questioning the merits of any physical format. It's cool we can discuss it.

With the exception of Seymourbutts. I don't think you're wrong in questioning it either...I just think you come off childish calling something "Hipster"
11:08 AM on 09/21/12
Holly HoX!
User Info.

Do you have anything to really add?
11:12 AM on 09/21/12
Holly HoX!
User Info.
Perhaps it's because it's a dumb and uneducated thing to say and you deserve to get called out for it.

Oh for Christ's sake. I'm sorry I offended you so!

My thinking behind the comment is that someone can argue the merits of learning a "dead" language - perhaps Latin was a poor choice, my sincere apology there - and the merits of buying a "dead" music format. That's all. Didn't mean to offend all you Latin-minded folks
11:20 AM on 09/21/12
Holly HoX!
User Info.
What you're saying is some people utilize druid language because they think it's cool and enjoy speaking it, just like music fans who are into collecting and listening to cassettes. Practicality isn't everything and a few groups merely want to have fun with whatever it is they do. Is this about right? I can back that.

Yeah, that's all I mean. Perhaps it could've been worded differently. I'm on my phone, it's whatever
11:35 AM on 09/21/12
Holly HoX!
User Info.
Exactly
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles