Username
Password
Doghouse Records News - Page 3
Displaying posts 30 - 45 of 79.
11:03 AM on 09/21/12
Amongster
Still On The Sand
User Info.
Yeah, well some people still take the time to learn Latin in 2012, so, yeah.
Knowing the structure of Latin grammar can be quite helpful in learning grammatical rules of other languages. Latin is actually known as the best language to help people master proper English. As far as cassettes go, in which aspect is the product best out of all audio mediums? Cost, maybe, but let's say you could choose a record, cassette, compact disc, or an album's digital files for free; each of the same album. What would prompt you as a listener to choose a cassette? I'm not saying the format is completely valueless, but simply unnecessary.
11:04 AM on 09/21/12
Holly HoX!
User Info.
Learning a language that has a significant importance in history is not the same as listening to a cassette tape.

Semantics. It's the same argument.
11:06 AM on 09/21/12
Holly HoX!
User Info.
Knowing the structure of Latin grammar can be quite helpful in learning grammatical rules of other languages. Latin is actually known as the best language to help people master proper English. As far as cassettes go, in which aspect is the product best out of all audio mediums? Cost, maybe, but let's say you could choose a record, cassette, compact disc, or an album's digital files for free; each of the same album. What would prompt you as a listener to choose a cassette? I'm not saying the format is completely valueless, but simply unnecessary.

1. You guys are taking the Latin comment way too literal. How about Druid language. There you go.
2. It's personal preference. Why do people still buy Laserdiscs? (They do).
Amongster
Still On The Sand
User Info.
that said, if we're going with near-dead formats, i'd much rather have this album on vinyl.

I'm sure that's why vinyl sales have only increased in recent years.
anthonydarko
Fight Milk
User Info.
Semantics. It's the same argument.

No, it's really not.
11:08 AM on 09/21/12
Holly HoX!
User Info.
I think this is a great and fair discussion and I don't think anyone is wrong for questioning the merits of any physical format. It's cool we can discuss it.

With the exception of Seymourbutts. I don't think you're wrong in questioning it either...I just think you come off childish calling something "Hipster"
anthonydarko
Fight Milk
User Info.
1. You guys are taking the Latin comment way too literal. How about Druid language. There you go.

Perhaps it's because it's a dumb and uneducated thing to say and you deserve to get called out for it.
Holly HoX!
User Info.

Do you have anything to really add?
11:11 AM on 09/21/12
ChaseTx
Cassette has less appeal than vinyl but is much cheaper. In comparison to CD and mp3, it just has different appeal. If I have an album on vinyl or cassette, I do want to have a digital or CD copy as well... But if I have a CD or digital copy of an album that I really like, I'll want a vinyl or (to a lesser degree) cassette copy.
11:12 AM on 09/21/12
Holly HoX!
User Info.
Perhaps it's because it's a dumb and uneducated thing to say and you deserve to get called out for it.

Oh for Christ's sake. I'm sorry I offended you so!

My thinking behind the comment is that someone can argue the merits of learning a "dead" language - perhaps Latin was a poor choice, my sincere apology there - and the merits of buying a "dead" music format. That's all. Didn't mean to offend all you Latin-minded folks
11:15 AM on 09/21/12
Amongster
Still On The Sand
User Info.
Do you have anything to really add?
What you're saying is some people utilize druid language because they think it's cool and enjoy speaking it, just like music fans who are into collecting and listening to cassettes. Practicality isn't everything and a few groups merely want to have fun with whatever it is they do. Is this about right? I can back that.
11:20 AM on 09/21/12
Holly HoX!
User Info.
What you're saying is some people utilize druid language because they think it's cool and enjoy speaking it, just like music fans who are into collecting and listening to cassettes. Practicality isn't everything and a few groups merely want to have fun with whatever it is they do. Is this about right? I can back that.

Yeah, that's all I mean. Perhaps it could've been worded differently. I'm on my phone, it's whatever
11:32 AM on 09/21/12
seymourbuttes
I'd do anything for a free t-shirt
User Info.
You saying "Hipster shit" makes you look like a fucking dolt.

I'm not arguing alternatives, I'm simply telling why people enjoy cassettes. That's it. I prefer vinyl, obviously, but I understand the appeal of cassettes. And I'm also not ignorant enough to dismiss it as "Hipster shit."

ChaseTX said it best. That's all there is to it.
Hipster shit.
11:35 AM on 09/21/12
Holly HoX!
User Info.
Exactly
12:52 PM on 09/21/12
Xiegfried
Reconnect This
User Info.
I honestly can't get behind the whole cassette craze going on. I can see why people are into to it but the whole thing has a scent of people trying hard to be cool or different by listening to music on a tape. It's whatever though, people are going to like what they like regardless of how I feel about it.
I think the same could have probably been said for vinyl a while ago. I think listening to records is enjoyable and has a different feel than listening to a CD or an MP3. Some people might feel the same way about cassettes. It's also kind of cool to have something like this in your music collection.
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests