Username
Password
Doghouse Records News - Page 6
Displaying posts 75 - 79 of 79.
10:39 PM on 09/23/12
seymourbuttes
I'd do anything for a free t-shirt
User Info.
Let's not use Blu-Ray then, maybe just an HD copy of the movie. Sure beats the hell out of VHS.

I don't mean that people are gonna buy the band's drive just to delete all the music in it and never listen to it. I mean, now that it's on their computer, they delete it, and now they got your music and a flash drive.

As far as being easily transferable, of course it is, because they're selling you electronic files. It's also just as easily transferable downloading from iTunes/Amazon/bandcamp, etc.

More space isn't an issue. If you want to sell an album, it will probably never hit over 128MB (the smallest these things come in) in CDQ. Unless you wanna sell your discography, in which case you probably have a dedicated fan, who's more likely to buy vinyl or CD.

Speed won't really be an issue either, transferring from CD to your computer is effortless and fast. Even more so with downloads.

It'd also be an impractical sale. A 128MB flash drive goes for about $3 online, and charge $5 for maybe 10 songs, and my imaginary DIY band is losing money. The only sensible place to sell these drives is at the merch table, where you could buy a CD for $2 more. The CD is now looking like a deal that's a million times better. I might buy the flash drive if I really only have $8 on me.

Okay, your car can play music from a flash drive, but most music fans have iPods/something similar (and now the space advantage flash drive has becomes a HUGE disadvantage) and just plug it into the auxiliary port in their car or the device they bought to play through the car speakers.

I guess I can see a few small advantages of selling music in USB drives, but I can't think of a way where it makes sense to start selling them as band.
I would think it would make more sense for a signed band, or one with a distribution deal. Where a label covers it, because if you're buying those things for pressing an album, it'd be wholesale prices, not only that, you could effectively cut most of the workforce necessary to press CD's for a release.
01:01 PM on 09/24/12
ChristianLFTW
How YOU doin'?
User Info.
that's because those releases were limited runs. If it becomes more common, you could buy them at a cheaper price (I don't think that ABFMV USB retailed for much or any more than the CD). And you can package it with a CD booklet or whatever, and the drive looks cooler than a disc. You can put a USB input into any stereo, so that's not a problem. Just saying this is a viable next gen format, not that it will necessarily happen.
The Amazon listing says $98. And maybe I'm wrong, maybe the USB drives will sell at a reasonable price, but I don't think they're practical or will sell as a mediator between electronic and physical formats. I don't think a USB brings anything a CD doesn't do well enough except for portability (in which case, most music fans have iPods or something of the kind, which can be used to extract music as well).

I would think it would make more sense for a signed band, or one with a distribution deal. Where a label covers it, because if you're buying those things for pressing an album, it'd be wholesale prices, not only that, you could effectively cut most of the workforce necessary to press CD's for a release.
Well again, I don't see why anyone would choose a flash drive over a CD. This is really turning into a matter of preference now. I could never understand why there would be a market for USB over CDs. If there is, well, I stand corrected and I'd really like to know what the appeal is.
01:10 PM on 09/24/12
ChaseTx
The Amazon listing says $98.
Thatís just because itís out of print (or however youíd phrase that for this medium). I saw it at a Hot Topic when it came out for $10-20.
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests