Password

Album Review

Arrows In Her - Leaving Album Cover

Arrows In Her - Leaving

Reviewed by
Arrows In Her-Leaving
Record Label: Glass Nail Records
Release Date: September 9, 2012
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.
Despite its very short existence, Glass Nail Records has been responsible for some of the best post-hardcore music released in the year 2012, and emo upstarts Arrows In Her are certainly not going to break this particular trend. The four piece create rabble rousing American Football-esque twinklers built on a wall of robust rock. Their debut EP, Leaving is six tracks that will result in the addition of Arrows In Her to the ever growing list of great modern emo bands.

Arrows In Her’s sound is a little different to the usual noodly fretwork and intricate melodies of their musical peers. Don’t worry, these ingredients are thankfully present in the band’s sound, however Arrows In Her combine these traits with a more expansive sound that adds a little more meat to their music. Imagine what would happen if someone played American Football over Thrice and you’ll get the idea of their sound. Lyrically, Arrows In Her keep to the themes of friendship and hardship, whilst their lyrics may not be the most innovative in that they very much keep to the usual avenues explored by bands of their ilk, they do have an endearing simplicity to them, and they are very much there for relating purposes. Certain lines in particular stand out, such as the somewhat excellent “That’s when you realized you were on your own/With nothing but a bottle and an overcoat/ You’d give anything to feel at home.”

The EP works well as a cohesive piece. No tracks in particular stick out as a lead single or a choice cut from the record. The aptly titled opener “Everybody Is Despondent” sets the atmosphere for the release with its interestingly layered vocals and melancholic vibe. “Sunlight Hallways” features a fairly massive sounding wall of sound alongside gang shouts. Closer “Leaving.” is probably the most emotional song of the release and feels a little like it could become an emo anthem, if given the right exposure.

Largely, Leaving is a great debut release from a band that have a bright future ahead. It certainly isn’t perfect; the lyrics can be a little generic and the production doesn’t quite represent their music is the way it should do, but with a little work, Arrows In Her are certainly ones to watch.

Recommended If You LikeAmerican Football; Algernon Cadwallader; Dads; despondency

Additional InformationTrack Listing
1. Everybody Is Despondent
2. Sunlit Hallways
3. The Plot
4. Being And Nothing
5. Titled Suns Go Turning
6. Leaving.

Band Members
Damian Chacon
Roger Escano
Edwin Garcia
Harold Perez

8.5/10

Displaying posts 1 - 8 of 8
02:57 PM on 09/21/12
EndlessPrisoner
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
This sounds gr8888. will listen.
06:48 PM on 09/21/12
punchlinekid182
This wind changed me
User Info.
I do love me some American football, def gonna check this out
07:54 PM on 09/21/12
cricketsthrow
User Info.
favorite band for the past week now. i do agree that the production should be a bit cleaner and have the guitars louder. but i don't think the lyrics are generic, they are heart-on-your-sleeve, but i do think they are interestingly written. but i think you mean the lyrical themes, i guess so, but it is emo.
08:11 PM on 09/21/12
daftpunker45
Yeezus season approaching.
User Info.
Actually sounds pretty good. Will listen more.
09:05 PM on 09/21/12
CPF--FBR
http://connorfeimsterphoto.com
User Info.
Can't stop playing this EP. And at a name-your-own-price on Bandcamp, what's not to love?
02:56 PM on 09/22/12
JamieTheSonger
05 Fuck Em
User Info.
so good.
06:32 AM on 12/18/12
rsvs
don't slow down
User Info.
Holy shit, this EP is fucking awesome. Loving this band.
Great debut.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version