AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review

View from an Airplane - Current Sex/Love... Album Cover

View from an Airplane - Current Sex/Love...

Reviewed by
View from an Airplane - Current Sex/Love Noises
Record Label: None
Release Date: 2007
A young man who believes in his dreams with all of his might is one way to describe Nick Conway, aka View from an Airplane. His music on his self-released album Current Sex/Love Noises takes the listener on a magic carpet ride that detaches from the frustrations of everyday life and lets you, for a few minutes, drift tranquilly through your own thoughts of where you would like to be. His mild tempos and soft acoustics are reminiscent of Josh Kelley, his vocal register has timbres sweeten like Matt Nathanson, and his lyricism is romantically tailored similarly to the wordsmith Daniel Powter. Conway’s music is on the threshold of indie-pop and emo-rock showing arrangements with both textures. He plays all of the instruments - guitar, bass, programming, and piano as well as the vocals, so it is literally a solo offering. The instrumentation fits his vocals, but much like Conway gets lost in his thoughts, the listener gets lost in the music with very little to separate the tracks from each other. The album is like one story that moves along in this one path with no subplots and no roads that branch off into another direction to develop more depth in the story. It is a great album for listeners who only want to be taken a single-minded track where living in your dreams are the only thoughts you want in your mind.

Conway shows emo-rock preferences on tracks like “Welcome to Aurora” and “Vampires Like It Windy” with soft-rock mists stoking the acoustics and vocal intonations with shades of Chris Carrabba of Dashboard Confessional. The lyrics for “Vampires Like It Windy” never speaks about vampires, but they do moon over a special someone as Conway’s vocal projections sending out, “Wait, hear what I have to say / Before it is too late / And we throw it all away / You may not have been the best / But better than the rest / You’re better than the rest.” His songs roam into poetic serenades on numbers like “I’m Low On Gas & You Need a Jacket” and “The Summer of Like,” where he ruminates, “I’ve found you a place I won’t explain / A place where I know that I will be with you / Till there’s no air left to breath in.” Conway handles the music and vocals with kid-gloves and even threads a soft violin program sequence through the melodic patterns of “The Summer of Like.” The gently pulsing notes of “Galactic Day” have an indie-pop/emo-rock essence that does not fail to draw the listener into its center.

Nick Conway’s album is right for the emo-kid that is out there. The soft rock mists and dreamy atmospherics in his music are proficiently fabricated. The pros to this is that the songs are very ethereal and spacious, but the cons include the music being one dimensional and the songs drifting into each other so you dose off while listening to the album. The album is for those whose dreams show them where they want to be.

LinksAP.net | MySpace | Buy
This review is a user submitted review from Susan Frances. You can see all of Susan Frances's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 4 of 4
03:16 PM on 01/26/08
tm decomposer
KEMBA WALKER 4 PREZ!!
User Info.
ah Nick. I really like what this kid is doing. Good review.
08:14 PM on 01/27/08
theshareef
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
not bad. i like the scrubs reference. (vampires like it windy)
08:26 PM on 01/27/08
enter return
User Info.
not bad. i like the scrubs reference. (vampires like it windy)

Kudos on catching that.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version