AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Imagine Dragons - Night Visions Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8.75
Musicianship 8
Lyrics 8
Production 9.5
Creativity 8
Lasting Value 8.25
Reviewer Tilt 8
Final Verdict: 84%
Member Ratings
Vocals 7.45
Musicianship 6.85
Lyrics 6.8
Production 8.25
Creativity 7.2
Lasting Value 6.5
Reviewer Tilt 7.45
Average: 72%

Imagine Dragons - Night Visions

Reviewed by: Gregory Robson (09/24/12)
Imagine Dragons - Night Visions
Record Label: KidInaKorner/Interscope
Release Date: Sept. 4, 2012

Being that Las Vegas is the entertainment capital of America, it makes sense that the bright lights should also breed first-rate music. While many people heap praise upon The Killers and in a lesser degree Panic at the Disco (and their various offshoots), a new band is threatening to bear the title of Las Vegas's best musical export: Imagine Dragons. Fronted by strong-lunged vocalist Dan Reynolds, the group plays a commercial (read: Top 40) brand of electro-tinged pop that echoes with strains of OneRepublic, Coldplay and U2.

The quartet's debut single "It's Time," helped propel the band to a #2 spot on the Billboard charts earlier this month, as well as a 2012 VMA nomination. But for all the attention "It's Time" is getting, the album's true apex moments are arguably the soaring "Demons," and the deeply panged "Bleeding Out." And it is there in those two songs that Imagine Dragons makes all the sense in the world. On "Bleeding Out," Reynolds sounds tortured, as if laying his soul on the line for the past eight songs has worn him out. And on "Demons," he's pretty much giving a last will and testament and sounds as impassioned and sincere as any vocalist this year. A band with a first-rate frontman can go places, but the power with which Reynolds bellows us like very few of his peers. And that's the gold in Night Visions. There are very few places to turn that aren't ultimately charming. Whether its the bursting opening of "Radioactive," the confident sheen of "Tiptoe," or the wistful "Amsterdam," the disc's first half is one radio juggernaut after the other.

On the latter stages, Reynolds and Co. offer up the Killers-esque anthem "Hear Me," the urban-tinged "Every Night," and the playful and pliant "Underdog." Understanding just how important a closing track can be, the epic finish of "Nothing Left to Say," is thrown into the fire and does little to disappoint. Rattling off a yarn about insomnia, "Nothing Left to Say," is deeply impacting, entrancing and ultimately very rewarding. After a minute of silence, the two-minute hidden track "Rocks," stakes its claim as one of the album's best as it segues between indie experimental and Euro-tinged dance. The only problem with "Rocks," is one wishes it could have made it into the actual track listing. There are many that can dispute this claim, but in this writer's eyes, the strengths of "Rocks," far outweigh the hit-and-miss "Top of the World," which tries to channel the Afro-pop sounds of Vampire Weekend, and at worst, the percussive twee of Guster. Additionally, the urban-flavored "Every Night," feels at times as if it is trying too hard. Perhaps Grammy-winning producer Alex Da Kid got too hands on, perhaps the band just wanted to try their hand at diversity. But those two small gripes are enough to be tossed aside considering the sheer power of the rest of the disc.

Having already released a slew of critically acclaimed EPs and having grabbed the aforementioned Grammy winner to turn the knobs, it seemed almost inevitable that Night Visions would be a success. But calling something a success on paper and then hearing that album is an entirely different story. Night Visions is a disc laden with buoyant choruses, arena-ready swagger and armfuls of dance floor attitude. Those three traits married with Reynolds' unshakeable vocals are enough reason to think Night Visions is just the start of something truly memorable beginning to brew.

Recommended If You Like OneRepublic, Windsor Drive, Bad Veins, Coldplay

Find Them Here http://www.imaginedragonsmusic.com

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 27
05:29 AM on 09/25/12
Quijiba
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
This album is pretty awesome. Was very pleased, producer killed it. I do feel that some of their older songs held back the album though, they are great songs but they just felt like they were from a different vein than the new material
05:33 AM on 09/25/12
Anthony Sorendino
Don't you dare ever give up...
User Info.
Great review! Have you had a chance to check out my review of the album?
05:40 AM on 09/25/12
Readyfuels
COYS
User Info.
Absolutely fantastic album. Haven't been able to turn it off.

Also, this is spot on: "And on "Demons," he's pretty much giving a last will and testament and sounds as impassioned and sincere as any vocalist this year."

Great review.
07:11 AM on 09/25/12
daftpunker45
Yeezus season approaching.
User Info.
Fantastic album.
10:34 AM on 09/25/12
Shakriel
I just need reassurance.
User Info.
Great review and I have been loving the album since I grabbed it for $5 from Amazon couple weeks back. Demons is definitely my favorite song.
11:20 AM on 09/25/12
Archael
listens to good music
User Info.
This album was severely disappointing. The first few songs were great, fell way down hill from there.
11:29 AM on 09/25/12
jrams2594
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
This album was severely disappointing. The first few songs were great, fell way down hill from there.
Gotta agree with that. The EP was really good, then the just recycled those great songs and added in some basic, cheesy, pop-py songs at the end. It didn't really flow like an album, kinda disappointing for their debut if you ask me
11:34 AM on 09/25/12
RyanGarner
Registered Member
User Info.
I like Radioactive and that's about it.
12:01 PM on 09/25/12
djsclaus
www.brandonmarshall.net
User Info.
It's a stellar album and will definitely get them tons of new fans, but I was disappointed that they took so many of their older songs. There's only like 4 actual new songs on this album
12:54 PM on 09/25/12
EndSerenading
we were born for battle
User Info.
I really don't get the appeal of this band. I think it's OK at times but it just doesn't click with me. I really did not like the single at all tho so that probably wasn't a good start when I went in to listening to the album.
02:07 PM on 09/25/12
Kris_Gontz9
Anklebiters.
User Info.
I gave it a few listens but it didn't appeal to me... It's Time is a wonderful song but i didn't found another song as powerful as it in the record, maybe Radioactive, but some aspects of the production kinda turned me off on most songs, that one included.

Meh, i expected a lot better.
02:28 PM on 09/25/12
Gregory Robson
Under Rug Swept
User Info.
I gave it a few listens but it didn't appeal to me... It's Time is a wonderful song but i didn't found another song as powerful as it in the record, maybe Radioactive, but some aspects of the production kinda turned me off on most songs, that one included.

Meh, i expected a lot better.
How does "Demons," not move you? I find that song redonkulously good.
02:33 PM on 09/25/12
rocknroll365
rocknroll365
User Info.
good review. bleed it out is the best song on the album. really agree with what the reviewer said about the vox. i personally don't like but about half of the album but of the songs i do enjoy, i think they are great.
02:49 PM on 09/25/12
blinkeatworld
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
No flow to this thing. I love Radioactive, Tiptoe, It's Time, Hear Me, Nothing Left To Say etc.-- the more epic, serious sounding tracks-- but I can't stand the goofy sounding songs like On Top of The World, Every Night, and Rocks. I especially think it was a huge mistake to close with "Rocks". "Nothing Left To Say" would have been a way better closing track and for this reason I clipped "Rocks" out on my iTunes. Definitely huge potential though for me
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests