Username
Password

Comments: Page 2
Displaying posts 15 - 30 of 172
09:39 AM on 09/25/12
falloutpanicboy
a face to call home
User Info.
Pretty much the same record as Sigh No More, but at least they continue to do what they do well. Even if it means not making any progression from their debut.

I think a 6/10 would be more accurate, but I can see why the review gave it a 7/10. There is nothing offensive on the album, aside from the fact that it sounds the same as everything they've done before.
09:46 AM on 09/25/12
Craig Manning
Down in Jungleland
User Info.
i've had this record for a couple of weeks, and i can't stop playing it. i disagree with a lot of this review, especially the comment "...they missed the boat on widespread musical respect three years ago...".

The responses to this review and in threads around this message board kind of make my point though. These guys are one of the more derided acts out there right now.

Pretty much the same record as Sigh No More, but at least they continue to do what they do well. Even if it means not making any progression from their debut.

I think a 6/10 would be more accurate, but I can see why the review gave it a 7/10. There is nothing offensive on the album, aside from the fact that it sounds the same as everything they've done before.

I gave a 6/10 to the Band of Horses record that came out last week, and I honestly like this a lot more. Ratings are kind of arbitrary anyway, but I at least try to position the stuff I write about in relation to other stuff I've written about this year.
09:52 AM on 09/25/12
Jake Jenkins
https://twitter.com/jakej654
User Info.
"you can do a lot worse" is a pretty weak argument for the quality of something
09:56 AM on 09/25/12
squared82
why burn poor and lonely?
User Info.
I think I really like this album.

I think the "all their songs sound the same" is fair to an extent, but in the same breath, we need to realize that a lot of our favorite bands' songs "sound the same." As much as I love them, the Dangerous Summer's two most popular albums sound pretty similar to each other and it took my weeks to discern songs from each other. It happens. O, well.
10:02 AM on 09/25/12
reid
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
The responses to this review and in threads around this message board kind of make my point though. These guys are one of the more derided acts out there right now.

This message board tends to lean towards a certain type of sound(s) that this band doesn't make. I don't believe it's a fair representation of the music scene (as a whole) or pop culture when a band outside of the focus of this site is regarded in that way. They do what they do very well. I simply do not agree with your review (I actually don't agree with a lot of reviews on this site, but that's just me).
10:09 AM on 09/25/12
awakeohsleeper
We never met, you and I
User Info.
I don't know why this band is getting so much stick. I don't necessarily like them that much but as it was mentioned in the final paragraph, this is way better than most of the other top 40 releases. I enjoyed Sigh No More for a bit but I did get boring eventually. I probably won't get this. But I think the criticism is harsh. The music is catchy and fun.

Great review by the way. I think it was well written and I appreciated the insight.
10:13 AM on 09/25/12
Jeremy Aaron
User Info.
I wonder where this band would be popularity-wise if it weren't for the dissonance between banjos and f-bombs. That being said, this, like the last album, is an enjoyable listen. I think a lot of hate for Mumford is merely a contrivance. If all records were exposed to level of scrutiny applied to Mumford, very few would come out unscathed. People are always quick to dismiss something they don't want to like as "derivative" or whatever, but are fine listening to plenty of other things that wouldn't pass the same legitimacy test. This ain't Radiohead or even Trampled by Turtles. But it's pretty decent for what it is.
10:14 AM on 09/25/12
Craig Manning
Down in Jungleland
User Info.
"you can do a lot worse" is a pretty weak argument for the quality of something

Did you not read the rest of the review, or...?

This message board tends to lean towards a certain type of sound(s) that this band doesn't make. I don't believe it's a fair representation of the music scene (as a whole) or pop culture when a band outside of the focus of this site is regarded in that way. They do what they do very well. I simply do not agree with your review (I actually don't agree with a lot of reviews on this site, but that's just me).

I don't believe I actually said "they do what they do well" directly in the body of the text (I did say it on my first comment on this thread), but that was certainly the general theme of what I wrote here.

As for widespread musical respect, Radiohead gets that; Bon Iver gets that; Frank Ocean gets that. Mumford & Sons do not. I'm not even holding it against them, but I don't really think you can deny the truth of the statement.
10:31 AM on 09/25/12
Jake Jenkins
https://twitter.com/jakej654
User Info.
Did you not read the rest of the review, or...?

i.....skimmed it....
10:33 AM on 09/25/12
Craig Manning
Down in Jungleland
User Info.
i.....skimmed it....
Haha, I see.
10:57 AM on 09/25/12
Grohl
RATA
User Info.
I would've given it a lower score, but very well-written review.
11:01 AM on 09/25/12
Aneurisms07
User Info.
This is sad. I want to like this record.
11:09 AM on 09/25/12
rawesome
Listen to Dave Hause pls
User Info.
Damn dude. Great review.
11:12 AM on 09/25/12
xapplexpiex
&.&
User Info.
I never expected this band to get so much hate.
11:12 AM on 09/25/12
Holly HoX!
User Info.
Trampled is beast.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News