AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Promise of Redemption - When the Flowers Bloom... Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 7.75
Musicianship 8
Lyrics 8.25
Production 7.5
Creativity 7.5
Lasting Value 8
Reviewer Tilt 9
Final Verdict: 80%
Member Ratings
Vocals 9
Musicianship 9.06
Lyrics 9.63
Production 8.47
Creativity 8.94
Lasting Value 9.16
Reviewer Tilt 9.66
Average: 91%
Inside AP.net

Promise of Redemption - When the Flowers Bloom...

Reviewed by: Joe DeAndrea (01/18/08)
Promise Of Redemption When The Flowers Bloom...
Release Date: December 4th, 2007 (Digital), January 22nd, 2008 (Physical)
Record Label: I Surrender Records

For those who don't know, Promise Of Redemption is the acoustic solo project featuring Shane Henderson, the vocalist of the pop-punk quintet Valencia. In May of 2006, Henderson tragically lost his girlfriend Dana Leigh Burrell and has now released When The Flowers Bloom... in dedication to her. Not very often do I find it hard to get through an album when I actually like it but knowing the story behind this, I just can't help but feel so sorry for what he has to be going through. Even though I've never experienced a situation quite like his, When The Flowers Bloom... is filled with such emotion and compassion, it's as if you know exactly how he's feeling.

The short, but shiver-inducing intro "Getting Through" starts off the record and flows nicely into the next track "How Fast," where the progression in Henderson's vocals show (compared to Valencia's last album) as he belts out lyrics such as "How fast can you have your bags packed? / I'm ready to blow this town. / If friendships are less important, I'm going to feel let down." Both of these songs provide heart-rending feelings in the listener, which is a consistent feeling all throughout the album that is due from not only the musical aspect, but lyrically as well.

However, not all the songs on this album were written after the tragedy. Tracks such as "Oh The Way," and especially "From The Second I Wake Up..." were written and recorded for Burrell while she was lucky enough to be able to listen to them. "From The Second I Wake Up..." is easily one of my favorite songs on When The Flowers Bloom... and was one of the first songs we got to hear from this album back when it premiered around a year ago. Since then, I've probably listened to it a good 50+ times and it always seems to send chills down my spine as Henderson sings about missing Burrell while he's out on the road and how he never wants her to change. "Live In Love," and "Dana Leigh" are amongst the songs that were written afterwards and are truly upsetting to listen to as you get a personal look into his sorrow.

Shane Henderson has put his heart into making these thirteen songs into such a personal album which is something that he deserves massive amount of respect for doing, as I know I would never be able to do such a thing. When The Flowers Bloom... will tug at your heart strings and make you appreciate the times you have with your loved ones and not take any of that for granted.

Additional InformationTrack Listing
01. Getting Through
02. How Fast
03. From The Second I Wake Up...
04. Oh The Way
05. Remember The First Day
06. When The Flowers Bloom
07. Live In Love
08. Sunsets And Pictures
09. A Long Way Home
10. Rough Road Leads To The Stars
11. Dana Leigh
12. It Just Takes Time
13. Trace Those Steps

Myspace
AP Profile
Buy the album

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 36
07:14 AM on 01/19/08
Freeride
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
See, now this is a good review, I listened to this cd today and agree with everything you said in this review. Very solid album.....now all i need is a new valencia cd aswell.
09:50 AM on 01/19/08
Heart-A-Tact
User Info.
Good review. Definitely gonna check this out.
09:03 PM on 01/19/08
faithinfastcars
User Info.
Very good album, very personal and still identifiable. Odds are it won't ever get the mainstream attention it deserves, but still an excellently written album with some wonderful standout tracks.
11:06 AM on 01/20/08
whyte39
www.alexwhyte.com
User Info.
wow. thanks for opening my eyes up to this.. Just listening to the songs on myspace have convinced me that i need to figure out how to purchase this.(i cant do the itunes thing.)
11:24 AM on 01/20/08
katewithoutthee
I have a Stupid Username.
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
it is a great album; i would have appreciated a more in depth review with more exploration into the stand out songs on the album...for example the way that the lyrics in "from the second i wake up" pop up again in the ending of the album...which is stand out for those of us who have known the song for quite some time now...

"from the second i wake up" has been released for quite a while before this CD even came out and valencia has played it countless times live

edit: i know that you said that "from the second i wake up" was one of the first songs we heard before the CD came out, but it was around before the CD was even written
11:39 AM on 01/20/08
Moral_Orel
DIG IT!!!
User Info.
great review, great guy, great album.
11:44 AM on 01/20/08
Jeff_Ryan
easy come and easy go, whatever
User Info.
The CD release show for this album was so emotional. It's such a great album.

The only thing about the album I don't like is that I feel at points it's TOO personal, like I'm reading someone's diary/journal and I'm not supposed to.
11:59 AM on 01/20/08
vandalroyale
Down and almost out
User Info.
I listened to the myspace stuff about 3 weeks or so ago and after 1 listen I stopped knowing I would be picking it when it came out. I can't wait to hear the final version
12:07 PM on 01/20/08
Steve Henderson
Retired
User Info.
I wasn't a big fan of this at all, I am afraid - which is sad knowing the story. I agree that the story and themes here though are very personal and affecting.

Good review Joe - glad you dig it.
12:31 PM on 01/20/08
altemose09
User Info.
i need to pick this up
01:45 PM on 01/20/08
ashley916
User Info.
this album is nothing short of amazing. everyone should buy it <3
02:45 PM on 01/20/08
serotoninzero
User Info.
Ah.
Wow.
Honestly, I've been really loving this album, but I didn't know the story behind it.
After doing some research and listening again, it's heartbreaking.
It's honestly going to make me want to cry every time I hear it.
Like Bayside - Winter or EC -Tears in Heaven.
It's a great album.
03:29 PM on 01/20/08
sujinnj
User Info.
who sings the female vocals in "remember the first day"
04:04 PM on 01/20/08
conair
Connor
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
can anyone recommend other music in this vein? just good acoustic stuff
Options