Username
Password
Further Seems Forever News - Page 5
Displaying posts 60 - 75 of 84.
01:56 PM on 10/03/12
HeavenResign
Registered Member
User Info.
Is it just me, or is this song horribly Auto-Tuned?
It is. It's unlistenable to me.

^^^it was the same way on the "So Cold" video as well during the chorus. So if it's a bitrate issue, it's one hell of a coincidence.

Bums me out because I think the songs are good. Really good.
02:00 PM on 10/03/12
HeavenResign
Registered Member
User Info.
I don't think it is "auto-tune".. do you idiots even know what auto tune means, yes the notes are probably Manually tuned but to suggest he sang and then let the computer match the pitches perfectly is insane, no self respecting band would ever do that. There is a distinct vocal effect used throughout the record to create the sound they wanted for this band. you can strongly hear this effect at the end of the song when Chris' voice is by itself. Sorry friends but if you think a band like this is using auto tune then you do not know what auto tune means.
Auto tune is an audio plugin that lets you tune the notes. You don't know what you're talking about.

There are multiple plugins that exist for this (melodyne is one, I believe Cubase has their own developed by Steinberg), but Auto-Tune is the most popular so it's kind of used as a generic term now.
02:07 PM on 10/03/12
slimfenix182
Registered Member
User Info.
Look at all the audio engineers in here.

They apparently screwed up when hiring a producer, they should've been sweeping the ap.net threads for someone with the needed qualifications.
02:09 PM on 10/03/12
HeavenResign
Registered Member
User Info.
I get how it's annoying when people assume all these things and quote "production" left and right. But the vocals are unlistenable to me, and I fucking love Chris Carrabba's voice. Simple as that.
02:13 PM on 10/03/12
EndSerenading
we were born for battle
User Info.
Don't get me wrong, I really like both the songs I have heard so far (So Cold finally grew on me and this one I really liked on the very first listen) but I do agree that the vocals seem a little pitch-corrected at times when it doesn't really need it. Chris is a great vocalist and any small "imperfections" are what makes some albums like TMID so great and so raw. Doesn't really take an audio engineer to notice. If you've recorded ever (especially in some top-notch studios like I have) you can pick out the difference in the tone when something has been manipulated some.

Now it's still possible I'm wrong but it definitely sounds somewhat overly pitch-corrected in a few spots.

Either way I'm still very much looking forward to the album.
02:17 PM on 10/03/12
Jason Tate
User Info.
I get how it's annoying when people assume all these things and quote "production" left and right. But the vocals are unlistenable to me, and I fucking love Chris Carrabba's voice. Simple as that.
If these vocals are unlistenable, how do you listen to any music at all ...?
02:26 PM on 10/03/12
HeavenResign
Registered Member
User Info.
If these vocals are unlistenable, how do you listen to any music at all ...?
I know you really like Chris Carrabba, and if you honestly can't hear how much auto-tune there is in these songs, that's totally fine but that doesn't mean I'm crazy for hearing it and thinking it doesn't sound preferable. As that dude above me said, once you sit in-studio with a producer tuning someone's vocals, you can hear it right away. It's sort of an unfortunate side effect of having the cool experience of sitting in while a producer mixes. That doesn't mean it's a bad thing, it just means you notice when it's done either a) poorly, or b) in a way that you don't prefer.

I listen to music constantly and these are some of the most poorly mixed vocals (gotta say this is an opinion thing of course) that I've heard...at least out of music I listen to.

I can tell his performance was probably great in studio, but I really dislike how they were mixed. Maybe I'm totally wrong and Evan was right and it's some weird bitrate thing and the high quality version will change my mind.

Admittedly, unlistenable is sort of an extreme word on my part, but unlistenable meaning that I would not listen to this record if the vocals sound like that on all the songs. Not that I want to rupture my eardrums to never hear them again or anything.
02:45 PM on 10/03/12
mattplayscheap
plays with squirrels
User Info.
It's sad that you can't identify the heavy use of autotune on his voice in this song.
i havent even heard the song yet. im just making a general statement
02:46 PM on 10/03/12
Jason Tate
User Info.
I know you really like Chris Carrabba, and if you honestly can't hear how much auto-tune there is in these songs, that's totally fine but that doesn't mean I'm crazy for hearing it and thinking it doesn't sound preferable. As that dude above me said, once you sit in-studio with a producer tuning someone's vocals, you can hear it right away. It's sort of an unfortunate side effect of having the cool experience of sitting in while a producer mixes. That doesn't mean it's a bad thing, it just means you notice when it's done either a) poorly, or b) in a way that you don't prefer.

I listen to music constantly and these are some of the most poorly mixed vocals (gotta say this is an opinion thing of course) that I've heard...at least out of music I listen to.

I can tell his performance was probably great in studio, but I really dislike how they were mixed. Maybe I'm totally wrong and Evan was right and it's some weird bitrate thing and the high quality version will change my mind.

Admittedly, unlistenable is sort of an extreme word on my part, but unlistenable meaning that I would not listen to this record if the vocals sound like that on all the songs. Not that I want to rupture my eardrums to never hear them again or anything.
If you honestly think there's a difference in how his vocals are handled in post production here vs the gloss of Don Gilmore or Butch Walker producing an album -- I don't know what to tell you.
03:02 PM on 10/03/12
HeavenResign
Registered Member
User Info.
If you honestly think there's a difference in how his vocals are handled in post production here vs the gloss of Don Gilmore or Butch Walker producing an album -- I don't know what to tell you.
I could say the same (being if you honestly don't think there's a difference), majority's not always a great opinion to go by but rarely have I seen as much talk about how a a beloved vocalist's vocals were mixed (in a negative way) than in this thread. I don't think it's a coincidence.

EDIT: I listened to the teaser in 720p, then "Vindicated" (Don Gilmore) and "Get Me Right" (Butch Walker), and I thought the vocals sounded fucking great in the latter two, with Get Me Right probably having the most preferable sounding vocals to my ears. Maybe I'm crazy. I have no idea who produced this album, maybe it was intentional. The 720p version did sound better (for this song but not for the chorus on So Cold) but the vocal mix still bugged me.
04:22 PM on 10/03/12
Mochem
User Info.
It's too blatant for the auto-tune effect to not be done on purpose as an effect rather than for pitch correction. The other songs form the album that I've heard don't use it, and Chris obviously doesn't need to use it to get a good take on a song. I don't love it, don't hate it. I'll wait until I hear a better quality version to decide whether I think it goes well with the song or not.
04:35 PM on 10/03/12
ambulance
Minutes away, but miles apart
User Info.
It is. It's unlistenable to me.

^^^it was the same way on the "So Cold" video as well during the chorus. So if it's a bitrate issue, it's one hell of a coincidence.

Bums me out because I think the songs are good. Really good.
Ditto. It's not just the vocals for me, but I really don't like the way the guitar tones came out either. The guitar work is one of the most unique parts of FSF, but I feel like there is no definition in them at all. I don't know how to describe it really, other than I'm just not a fan of what they did. Have a feeling I won't be getting into this album at all. Bummer.
07:08 PM on 10/03/12
Thisisgoodbye
User Info.
another great song, but that auto tune is gonna take some getting used to.
08:01 PM on 10/03/12
silentone
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
What I've heard from the newer stuff is musically mature and intelligent. What we've always got from FSF. Creatively on their game.

What i am waiting for is that big hook that had me on "Hide Nothing". I don't know if its just not going to be that kind of record, but if not I don't know how much I'm going to stay interested in this. I may be alone on this one, but Im a sucker for a big chorus.
09:13 PM on 10/03/12
TomAce
Still Listens To Limbeck
User Info.
it is so fucking mind blowing to me how well he can sing while gargling
Options
Related News Stories
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives