AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

All Posts by User
Displaying user's 5 posts.
09:09 PM on 10/13/12
justbradley
User Info.
It's funny. The reason you dislike the band is why I really like them. To me, they sound like they're one step away from the garage, in the best way possible. It has a purity to it, and an honesty. It almost sounds like they could break down at any second because it's almost a stream of consciousness. The simplicity of the lyrics gives them an almost spontaneous feel. A classic album? Prob not. But I think it's a solid jam.
I really think this band could be huge, but I feel like they still have that "immaturity" their earlier EPs had. At times, I love the simplistic lyrics, because they're so relatable. But that's also why I don't like them, too. They don't step outside of the box to me at all. The main thing that kills this album for me is that "talking" part in "Early Retirement." That's what I mean by the immaturity. If it didn't have that stuff, that track would easily be one of my favorites. The honesty by them is there, it's just (in my personal opinion) they need to improve a bit before they can compete with the "big guns" of pop-punk, no pun intended.
12:00 AM on 10/19/12
justbradley
User Info.
I've noticed you use 'quite' and 'rather' a lot throughout all of your reviews. The review is redundant, should have been much shorter.

Also, Contradiction dude.

Agree completely though. Thanks for all the reviews you've been posting.
Thanks, man. Definitely glad you dig the reviews.

I wouldn't say that's a contradiction, though; his voice is a bit unique, but it doesn't stick out as much as Soupy, or Jeff from I Call Fives. Ultimately, it just falls to the wayside, if you take into account everything else.
12:02 AM on 10/19/12
justbradley
User Info.
I find it funny. I basically hold the same view on this record, except Early Retirement is the only song I like. That opening verse kills it. Hated the spoken part at first, but now I say it aloud when I listen to it and laugh to myself. Probably give the album a 65%-70%. I like Handguns, but the album is nothing amazing, I still expect them to improve.
If they took out those spoken parts on "Early Retirement," I'd love that track, haha. Those spoken parts are the only thing that keeps me from really liking it.
02:28 PM on 10/19/12
justbradley
User Info.
Well I guess it goes back to that "rather", it would look a lot less contradictory if you said something like "somewhat distinct" and actually talk about Soupy's voice in comparison to his. Being specific helps instead of just saying "blends in with vocalists".
Oh, I totally understand. I wasn't trying to sound rude, or anything. I use those two words a lot, and they always just show up in my writing, too. I'll edit the comparison to Soupy in, so it doesn't sound so general.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests