AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Driving East - The Future of the Free World is Riding... Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 7.75
Musicianship 8.75
Lyrics 6
Production 9.5
Creativity 4.5
Lasting Value 7.25
Reviewer Tilt 9.25
Final Verdict: 76%
Member Ratings
Vocals 8.05
Musicianship 8.7
Lyrics 7.2
Production 9.2
Creativity 6.15
Lasting Value 7.8
Reviewer Tilt 8.85
Average: 80%
Inside AP.net

Driving East - The Future of the Free World is Riding...

Reviewed by: Tony Pascarella (01/22/08)
Driving EastThe Future of the Free World Is Riding On This One
Release Date: January 15, 2008
Record Label: The Militia Group

It seems that The Militia Group has gone back to the formula that made them quite a formidable indie label in 2005, when they had a handful of hit releases and eventual upstreams. Driving East, the label's newest pop-punk signing, evokes the raw fiery passion of Cartel's The Ransom EP and even to a lesser degree, Chroma. With The Future of the Free World Is Riding On This One, Driving East's TMG full-length debut, the band takes no prisoners and has released an insanely poppy, catchy album that will have purists and neophytes alike singing along.

Barrett Mullins' vocals come off as refreshingly crisp and vibrant, and the rest of the band packs one hell of a punch behind him. The drums on the album opener, “Hey,” offer a thick kick-highlighted sound that will surely bat the infectious chorus around in your head for days. If the first song brings you a healthy dose of summer, then the second track, “Get Back,” might qualify for catchiest song of the year by the time December comes around. “Come On Come On” is by far one of the songs most reminiscent of The Ransom EP, particular in the guitar parts, and Mullins' voice is eerily similar to Cartel's Will Pugh. Regardless, it's a blistering whirlwind of energy exploding from your speakers that will put anyone in a good mood.

“Sing While You Can” is a little more subdued of a track, but at times the vocals seem to bleed too far into the mix and they don't come off as strong as they should. “Baby (Just a Little Bit)” and “Backseat” are an interesting one-two punch. They're both not-so-subtle songs about sex, but they take a slight different approach. “Baby” is a bit more verse-heavy, while “Backseat” spends a lot of time on the chorus (a bit too much time, I would argue). The CD tails off toward the end, regrettably, considering the superb effort that we see from Driving East with the first seven tracks. “Blue Eyes” does do a good job straying from the crunchy riffs that highlighted most of the songs before it, but “Away” certainly seems to be missing something major—it doesn't feel natural at all. An interesting point to note is that The Future... doesn't have a true slow ballad anywhere in its ten tracks and thirty-one-plus minutes, although the band seems to do just fine without one.

While The Future of the Free World Is Riding On This One is a vastly entertaining pop-punk CD loaded with energy and captivating tunes, it's a bit short on originality. However, they manage to turn that into a strength as Driving East shows anyone willing to listen that they can pull it off just as well as (and sometimes better than) many of the bigger bands. You'll be surprised by the band's high level of musical talent, and the production team of Zach Odom and Kenneth Mount has done a fantastic job helping them release a memorable debut. If this keeps up, Driving East will be leading the charge as the first of many quality releases from The Militia Group in 2008.

Buy Driving East's The Future of the Free World is Riding on This One on iTunes

Track List01. Hey
02. Get Back
03. Come On Come On
04. Sing While You Can
05. Somebody Get Me Out of Here
06. Baby (Just a Little Bit)
07. Backseat
08. Pick Up the Pieces
09. Blue Eyes
10. Away
Listen to Driving EastAP.net Profile | Myspace | Official Site

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 27
01:48 AM on 01/23/08
tait
@
User Info.
good review. this album is ok. i agree with the album being extremely low on creativity
05:04 AM on 01/23/08
Steve Henderson
Retired
User Info.
Good, fair review. I really enjoy this album personally and might have rated it a smidge higher, but I see your tilt takes care of that.

I am surprised to see you didn't mention "Somebody Get Me Out of Here" - that is my favorite on the album.
10:15 AM on 01/23/08
SwishMX48
In December, drinkin' Horchata
User Info.
Reminds me of earlier Fallout Boy...great driving music
10:37 AM on 01/23/08
MCSmate
I'm wide awake, it's morning
User Info.
Good music. Came out well.

Review's good too.
10:37 AM on 01/23/08
Chemical Love
-
User Info.
I've listened a couple of time to the CD and it hasnt caught my attention yet..not a good sign for a pop-punk band.
11:04 AM on 01/23/08
Chico
User Info.
I like it. Just like Steve, I would had rated a little higher though. My main gripe is that they didn't redo the songs that were on the EP.
11:23 AM on 01/23/08
googirl8907
legalfreemusic.tumblr.com
User Info.
I am very pleased with this album. It lives up to the EPs that I love so much.
11:52 AM on 01/23/08
isae
User Info.
the album is really good. i'm listening to it right now. it really sounds like cartel's first ep at times. and like transition with a better singer. but: does anyone know transition??
11:56 AM on 01/23/08
Tony Pascarella
User
User Info.
I like it. Just like Steve, I would had rated a little higher though. My main gripe is that they didn't redo the songs that were on the EP.
But see, it's a mathematical thing...creativity has to be low. Reviewer Tilt gives the better idea of what I thought of the album (as does the review itself, obviously). Had I been able to give creativity an 8.25 (or bumped other categories up a total of 3.75 points, it would have been an 80. But that really doesn't matter--what does is what I said in the review.
12:43 PM on 01/23/08
zachff
deadformat.net/tradelist/zachff
User Info.
I've been waiting for this review to say, does anyone else think that half (or more) of these songs sound exactly like Hit The Lights?

Baby (Just A Little Bit) = part 2 of The Call Out (You Are The Dishes)
if it's alright just a little bit I can show you how to rock and roll
vs.
so keep your mouth shut while we show you how to rock and roll

I mean, did Colin Ross join Driving East?
i love both bands and albums, but the similarities are eerie
01:00 PM on 01/23/08
bailmeout13
It could be a bowling site.
User Info.
Very nice review. I enjoy the album, it does it's job.
01:07 PM on 01/23/08
grimis16
User Info.
I've listened a couple of time to the CD and it hasnt caught my attention yet..not a good sign for a pop-punk band.

im in the same boat
01:25 PM on 01/23/08
MattRM
She didn't turn out to be that cool
User Info.
I like this album, but gah, am I the only one who's bothered by the bridge in "Get Back"? Sounds so much like "309" by Hit The Lights it's not even funny.

Edit-
I've been waiting for this review to say, does anyone else think that half (or more) of these songs sound exactly like Hit The Lights?

Baby (Just A Little Bit) = part 2 of The Call Out (You Are The Dishes)
if it's alright just a little bit I can show you how to rock and roll
vs.
so keep your mouth shut while we show you how to rock and roll

I mean, did Colin Ross join Driving East?
i love both bands and albums, but the similarities are eerie

Okay, I feel better, someone else has caught on. I didn't notice that similarity, but I kind of see where you're coming from.
02:41 PM on 01/23/08
zafran27
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
they r the new hit thr lights
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives