Password
All Posts by User
Displaying user's 2 posts.
02:35 PM on 10/08/12
Keagan Ilvonen
@KeaganIlvonen
User Info.
Track By Track#1 - Intro
I wrote this just to set the tone for the EP. It's to show everyone that talked shit that we can do this without them and are doing a pretty good job so far.

#2 - The Let Down
I had a really bad breakup in 2011. And almost a year after it, I still wasn't okay with what happened. I was in love with a girl, and she left me. It's simple and clichéd, but it still really messed me up. I tried to be friends with her but only because I couldn't stand the idea of never seeing her but then I came to realize that sometimes it doesn't work out that way. Ever since then I tried to just stay on my own, tried not to depend on anyone but myself. I wrote this to help myself cope with just that. I channelled everything that made me angry about the whole situation and used it to keep myself reserved. The song kind of took some of the weight off my shoulders. I released it in hopes that someone else going through the same thing could feel less alone than I did and could have something to turn to when it got tough.

#3 - #sorrynotsorry
This song has a similar background to "The Let Down," but it's more directed at the person who broke up with me. It's more like "Why wasn't I good enough? No one will ever be good enough for you." It basically says that everything I do, I do in hopes that you see it and it gets a reaction out of you, whether it makes you jealous or sad, whatever as long as you know that I am still here and still mad. And I made this song the heaviest in the record to kind of match that anger.

#4 - Keep Virginia Beautiful
I felt really alone when I was in the relationship this record is about. Even when the girl and I were together, we were never really (as much as I hate to use this word) "official". This song talks about how I felt like I was doing everything wrong, including this relationship, and how all I wanted to do was escape. Nothing at home made me feel whole and my friends were too busy with their own lives to baby me and my sappy self. It's a really simple concept and I tried to match the music to that. There's only one guitar and nothing really crazy happens. It's a break from all the anger in this record.

#5 - Rule Two
This is the pleading stage of grief in the record. This song in summary says "Why won't you date me? Please just date me? It'd be cool I promise." I actually took a text I sent this girl and made it the bridge to the song. "You're quite the catch even if I haven't caught you yet." (adorable, I know). She heard the song and got mad at me because she said it was mean. I didn't think so but that's because I have songs like "The Let Down" and "#sorrynotsorry" to compare it to. Somewhat sidenote: I really am the best at holding grudges. I hold grudges like it's my job. I'll stay mad at someone for years over something small, even if I never talk to them. It's a skill.

#6 - Hold Your Own
The title track! The somewhat dim beacon of posi light shining on this sad, sad record and one of the two songs not about a girl. As I have said too many times I was really lonely when writing this album. And when I needed them most a lot of my friends were nowhere to be found. Whether it was school, work, boyfriends, girlfriends, I just seemed to be on the bottom of everyone's priorities. And I tried to stay positive but the only way I could do that was to pretend I didn't care or that I was mad, which is just backwards and counter-productive. And one day, my mom had a talk with me on our crappy couch and told me that people move on sometimes and you just have to learn to move on as well. So I wrote a song about it. It kind of just tells people that no matter what life throws at you, no matter who leaves for something better, if you just hold your own, don't let it take you out, then everything will work out one way or another.
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests