AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

All Posts by User
Displaying user's 6 posts.
11:07 AM on 10/09/12
The Gryphonator
User Info.
This album is fantastic. They've expanded upon their sound and I can definitely see influences from bands like Arcade Fire, Anathallo, etc.

Soooo pleased with this. Definitely in my top 3 for AOTY.
01:14 PM on 10/09/12
The Gryphonator
User Info.
No problem I just got excited like there was some album I missed, which quickly disappointed me after a short google search hah... But really nice review, I've read a bunch of reviews of this album and it's funny how each one had high reviews but completely different opinions on the standout tracks, for me my fav tracks change with each listen but as a whole the album just keeps getting stronger and stronger. It's a shame that most ppl won't give this album the needed time to really unravel all the magic it holds.
I think that's the sign of a really good album. When everyone disagrees on standout/favorite tracks, that usually means they are all really great.

Btw, what do you mean that most people wont give the album a chance?
01:46 PM on 10/09/12
The Gryphonator
User Info.
It's the truth of it. Check how many views this review gets. Then check how many All Time Low gets. Facts are facts. We can hope for a sea change but it's a long way from happening.
I see what you mean. It's not just the album, its the band. Yeah, I totally agree. They don't get nearly as much attention as they should. Hopefully this album helps them out with that. It's a really good album and definitely deserves it.
01:56 PM on 10/09/12
The Gryphonator
User Info.
Well personally after hearing "Locked Out" and "Spitting Image" earlier this year I was getting worried because they weren't Hannah/Starring material, but after I sat down with the whole album I loved every track. I just feel like not everyone will actually spin this album in it's entirety enough times to really sink in especially if they are hoping for those hooky pop songs that Diluvia lacks. For example this album doesn't really work on a playlist because the songs lose some of there greatness when they are heard out of context I guess... True fans will love it but the band most likely won't gain too many new fans because it lacks accessability, Personally I think it's as good as it gets and a huge step forward for the band.
Yeah, I felt the same way when I heard Locked Out. It's SO MUCH BETTER in context with the album. Didn't leave any impact on me until I heard the rest.

And hopefully they get bigger, I don't think they will ever... "blow up." But we'll see what happens.
06:43 PM on 10/09/12
The Gryphonator
User Info.
They will/already have created a cult following though.

Also I'm glad that choosing this Avatar a couple months ago wasn't a mistake, my previous one (Margot's - Rot, Gut, Domestic) turned out to be a huge letdown and they are one of my favorite bands. I have a feeling very few of my favorite bands will reach my top 10 this year, so many new comers (Kishi Bashi, Alt-J, Dry The River, Vacationer...) have really stolen the spotlight IMO.
Kind of random, but I feel the first 3 songs off the Vacationer album are amazing, the rest aren't nearly as good. What are your thoughts?
06:45 PM on 10/09/12
The Gryphonator
User Info.
I'm beginning to really like this album, but it's big flaw is how "cute" it is. It's not just Spitting Image that's honey-drenched...the whole album is. Gone is the rawness that helped make Weathervanes what it was. Granted, most bands strive to step away from that sound, so I digress on that point.

But what happened to Judah Dadone's voice? When I first heard Dig Into the Waves, I had no idea who was singing it. The vocals are way overproduced, to the point where they're stepping into Owl City territory; especially on Winter Seeds. Judah has a very distinct voice, and that was obvious on Weathervanes. But if anyone has seen them live, they know that his voice is really lacking in that format. I think they overcompensated and his vocals ended up sounding like something or someone he is not.

I still will probably put this in my top 5 for the year, because front to back, this album is very good. These guys just know how to write music.
Don't mean to start a fight, but I would argue that Weathervanes is far more "cute" than Diluvia. In fact, I thought this the first time I heard the new album. It seems more mature than Weathervanes. No more lyrics like "Every now and then she offers me a lemon Now & Later."
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests
RSS