Username
Password

All Posts by User
Displaying user's 7 posts.
09:13 AM on 10/09/12
Gregory Robson
Under Rug Swept
User Info.
Absolutely loved this album after only hearing half of Aeolus I knew this was going to be a winner. Every listen digs me deeper into this wonderful land they have created. This is shear brilliance and a breath of fresh air which IMO is extremely difficult with all the music there is anymore. I'd be more thank surprised if any album could knock this from my #1 position. I will be listening to this album years from now.

Also Hemispheres? What are you talking about? Did you mean Weathervanes?
Yeah, I did mean Weathervanes. I was listening to an album called Hemispheres at the time. My bad. Fixing now. I really need a copy-editor. Sheesh.
01:29 PM on 10/09/12
Gregory Robson
Under Rug Swept
User Info.
I think that's the sign of a really good album. When everyone disagrees on standout/favorite tracks, that usually means they are all really great.

Btw, what do you mean that most people wont give the album a chance?
It's the truth of it. Check how many views this review gets. Then check how many All Time Low gets. Facts are facts. We can hope for a sea change but it's a long way from happening.
01:59 PM on 10/09/12
Gregory Robson
Under Rug Swept
User Info.
They won't blow up, they're too nuanced.
07:06 PM on 10/09/12
Gregory Robson
Under Rug Swept
User Info.
Don't mean to start a fight, but I would argue that Weathervanes is far more "cute" than Diluvia. In fact, I thought this the first time I heard the new album. It seems more mature than Weathervanes. No more lyrics like "Every now and then she offers me a lemon Now & Later."
Amen to that dude. It is FAR more grown-up. So far from cute. And omg, that lyric. It makes me cringe every time. So glad you brought it up.
03:25 PM on 10/10/12
Gregory Robson
Under Rug Swept
User Info.
That line made me throw up in my mouth. So did the opening line of Kilojoules. But those were just lyrics, and that was only two songs. I guess what I'm trying to say about Diluvia is that it feels very delicate, both vocally and to a lesser extent, musically; I'm not necessarily referring to the lyrics. Maybe 'cute' wasn't the best choice of words.

I definitely agree that this is a major step forward for them. The album just took me a couple listens to get into. At this point, I'm fully immersed.
Oh, it's definitely an album that needs to be listened to at least twice to be fully understood. It felt pretty blah to me on the first listen. And while in some ways that's disappointing (everybody wants to feel an instant connection), I'm pretty darn happy with this album.
05:18 AM on 10/15/12
Gregory Robson
Under Rug Swept
User Info.
Very different than Weathervanes... I really do actually like it, but I was hoping for a little more melodic draw rather than the ambient, electric feel.. Maybe more plucky banjo than is offered on Diluvia.

However, it's still a pretty complete record. I would love to see them fall somewhere between the two--maturity in lyrics and delivery, but musically more oriented toward the melody and strummed/plucked strings.

I should also mention--Doris Cellar, the female vocalist, sounds like the lead vocalist for Deas Vail... Haha... I could have sworn it was that guy until I read through the credits and did not find him there.
I actually think you echo how I feel too. I definitely wanted it to be more melodic and hookier. And instead they went with expansive and celestial. Sigh. Oh wells. It's still a badass album and they are still a badass band. Maybe record three will be the magnum opus we all are aching for.
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests