Username
Password

All Posts by User
Displaying user's 2 posts.
02:04 PM on 10/09/12
jonwangcb
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I'm beginning to really like this album, but it's big flaw is how "cute" it is. It's not just Spitting Image that's honey-drenched...the whole album is. Gone is the rawness that helped make Weathervanes what it was. Granted, most bands strive to step away from that sound, so I digress on that point.

But what happened to Judah Dadone's voice? When I first heard Dig Into the Waves, I had no idea who was singing it. The vocals are way overproduced, to the point where they're stepping into Owl City territory; especially on Winter Seeds. Judah has a very distinct voice, and that was obvious on Weathervanes. But if anyone has seen them live, they know that his voice is really lacking in that format. I think they overcompensated and his vocals ended up sounding like something or someone he is not.

I still will probably put this in my top 5 for the year, because front to back, this album is very good. These guys just know how to write music.
09:46 PM on 10/09/12
jonwangcb
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Don't mean to start a fight, but I would argue that Weathervanes is far more "cute" than Diluvia. In fact, I thought this the first time I heard the new album. It seems more mature than Weathervanes. No more lyrics like "Every now and then she offers me a lemon Now & Later."
That line made me throw up in my mouth. So did the opening line of Kilojoules. But those were just lyrics, and that was only two songs. I guess what I'm trying to say about Diluvia is that it feels very delicate, both vocally and to a lesser extent, musically; I'm not necessarily referring to the lyrics. Maybe 'cute' wasn't the best choice of words.

I definitely agree that this is a major step forward for them. The album just took me a couple listens to get into. At this point, I'm fully immersed.
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests