Username
Password

08:04 PM on 10/10/12 
User Info.
Fourchordwonder
Love was a war worth fighting.
Chicago, IL
Male - 22 Years Old
I always find it strange that I can't stand these so called "emo-revival" acts. Perhaps I'm just tired of feeling sad. No clue, but is the Fences s/t album considered part of this genre?

I saw Fences live once. Didn't strike me as emo at all, and they also put on one of worst live shows I've ever seen from a touring band. Totally turned me off from wanting to check out their record.
09:54 PM on 10/10/12 
User Info.
syntax omitted
Castevet (CSTVT)
Gates
The World Is A Beautiful Place
Empire! Empire!
Owen
Park Jefferson
Brave Bird
This Town Needs Guns
Pneuma-era Moving Mountains
10:08 PM on 10/10/12 
User Info.
Joey-Wan Kenobi
fourth and goal
Milwaukee, WI
Male - 29 Years Old
Their s/t was depressing as f- yet oddly upbeat at times. Never really thought about seeing them live, as I got tired on over excitement leading to utter disappointment at shows. Sorry about your bad experience...
I saw Fences live once. Didn't strike me as emo at all, and they also put on one of worst live shows I've ever seen from a touring band. Totally turned me off from wanting to check out their record.
03:40 AM on 10/11/12 
User Info.
Fourchordwonder
Chicago, IL
Male - 22 Years Old
Their s/t was depressing as f- yet oddly upbeat at times. Never really thought about seeing them live, as I got tired on over excitement leading to utter disappointment at shows. Sorry about your bad experience...

I didn't really see them on purpose, since they were opening for Against Me!, but I think the fact that had zero expectations for them made the fact that their show was bad stand out even more. Like, I think I go into shows where I'm seeing new bands with a pretty open mind, and it's fairly hard to disappoint me so thoroughly with a first impression, but they definitely found a way to.
06:43 AM on 10/11/12 
User Info.
screamoutmyname
through being cool
Pennsylvania
Male - 25 Years Old
Isn't it annoying that this question must be asked?

hah, i think it's actually kind of funny. those guys have a strange sense of humor.

also, anyone who's saying My Heart to Joy is just "okay".... uhhhhhh. i would've loved to hear what was coming after "Reasons to Be"
09:38 AM on 10/11/12 
User Info.
You Vandal
What she order? Fish filet.
Chicago, IL
Male - 26 Years Old
I just wanted to say this thread is awesome.
09:43 AM on 10/11/12 
User Info.
Fourchordwonder
Chicago, IL
Male - 22 Years Old
hah, i think it's actually kind of funny. those guys have a strange sense of humor.

also, anyone who's saying My Heart to Joy is just "okay".... uhhhhhh. i would've loved to hear what was coming after "Reasons to Be"

They played my friend's basement three-ish years ago (with La Dispute, Hostage Calm, and a plethora of other great bands), and I didn't go because of homework or something. I regret it to this day.
10:33 AM on 10/11/12 
User Info.
ParkwayTom
Forgive me, Nashville
Nashville, Tennessee
Male - 24 Years Old
I just thought that you would have wanted to know that you were 100% wrong about the terms you were using, but I guess I was wrong

I don't know man, you were saying that Brand New and Saosin were first wave emo... I feel like you said you were sarcastic but you're actually just a fucking idiot? You don't have to be shy dude, its the internet. There are plenty of people just like you here.
10:46 AM on 10/11/12 
User Info.
EndlessPrisoner
No Avatar Selected
College Park, MD
Male
I don't know man, you were saying that Brand New and Saosin were first wave emo... I feel like you said you were sarcastic but you're actually just a fucking idiot? You don't have to be shy dude, its the internet. There are plenty of people just like you here.

He was being sarcastic, you're the fucking idiot, come on man.
I mean Coloso says some pretentious shit but at least sometimes he knows what he's talking about.
12:42 PM on 10/11/12 
User Info.
Coloso
hey
Romaaaaaaa
Male - 23 Years Old

no no I just know what I'm talking about I'm pretty sure
but keep on incorrectly describing basic tenets of a large genre, proud ignorance is cool too
01:02 PM on 10/11/12 
User Info.
qwerty22
we're pieces on the board
Maryland
Male
Does anyone know some typical alternate tunings used by these twinkle (really hate that description) bands are? I don't have much experience with that and usually shy away from anything that requires me to change the setup of my guitar, but I'm really curious.
01:25 PM on 10/11/12 
User Info.
tonyC4L
tech-savvy at-risk youth
Lake Forest, CA
Male - 26 Years Old
I feel very good in this thread.
01:38 PM on 10/11/12 
User Info.
Sam DeBurns Red
Milwaukee, WI
Male
Does anyone know some typical alternate tunings used by these twinkle (really hate that description) bands are? I don't have much experience with that and usually shy away from anything that requires me to change the setup of my guitar, but I'm really curious.

I know a lot of "punk"ier emo bands use drop D, Snowing etc. Grown Ups tunes down a half-step (and probably LOTS of other more recent emo bands do this). The more complicated, mathy, Kinsella-y stuff often uses crazy tunings the likes of which I can't tell you and/or use haha. Sorry if thats not much, thats all I really know.
01:44 PM on 10/11/12 
User Info.
Sam DeBurns Red
Milwaukee, WI
Male
I feel very good in this thread.

I just wanted to say this thread is awesome.

Rad to hear, rad to hear. I'm so into all these bands, its great to see some love for the genre and some love for bands that definitely need more attention.
01:59 PM on 10/11/12 
User Info.
drewinseries
Fight to get it back again.
Boston, MA
Male - 23 Years Old
Agree with most of the posts in the thread. I would put Seasons in Verse pretty high on my list along with Snowing.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos