Username
Password

All Posts by User
Displaying user's 5 posts
11:56 AM on 10/11/12
Stephin_DC
Registered Member
User Info.
I guess I'm the only one thats not blown away after first listen.
My first impression is you can turn up the guitars and synth as loud as you want, won't matter if the hooks aren't there
Definite improvment on the last one though, I couldnt even get through that in one with one full listen
12:15 PM on 10/11/12
Stephin_DC
Registered Member
User Info.
I'll take Surrender, Cities, and Friendship over this any day

And unless I have been listening to too much post-rock / shoegaze lately that my tastes have changed I really think most of you will agree with me once the honeymoon period is over.

Its good, nothing more, nothing less
12:30 PM on 10/11/12
Stephin_DC
Registered Member
User Info.
Obligatory thread troll is obligatory. Thank you for your input, now go back to shoegazing.

Just honest opinions man ... AP threads are notorious for mutual praise of a new record as the best thing ever written just because its new material by a band, and then 2 months later the same users are listening to the bands back catalogue instead because they prefer it more.

This is a good record, I just feel people need to settle down a bit. People were saying the exact same things about the last one and look how well that one is regarded now
12:50 PM on 10/11/12
Stephin_DC
Registered Member
User Info.
While I agree that early hype is common, you do realize you're in the minority regarding New Surrender, right?

Haha I was waiting for that. Yeah I do realize that, just thought I'd throw it in as I like it as much as the other 2 more high regarded records
01:23 PM on 10/11/12
Stephin_DC
Registered Member
User Info.
I'm curious as to what in those three albums you mentioned you find more appealing than Vital. I figured the nostalgia factor would play in a lot, but to me, this is their best musically, by far.

I just think their older songs have better structures and hooks to them. Songs like the resistance, dismantle repair, paperthin hymn etc are heavy but heavy in the right moments. Some of these new songs sound like a mess to me, heavy guitar which isn't really that rythmic, loud synth from the 80's that sounds like a video game ... its so cluttered. I feel like you need to let a song breathe on its own, and the new songs don't possess that. They seemed so forced

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos