Password
All Posts by User
Displaying user's 10 posts.
09:54 AM on 10/11/12
Jack Appleby
___
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I'll be curious to see if people share my passion for it. Again, truly believe this to be their best.
10:38 AM on 10/11/12
Jack Appleby
___
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Also, sidebar, but is anyone else catching the very obvious Tooth and Nail references in Type Three?
Yep I noticed that too. When I first heard it I smiled like a child

I had the exact same read on it, but Stephen denied it, and kind of laughed at the thought. Interview goes up on Monday.
11:42 AM on 10/11/12
Jack Appleby
___
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Just honest opinions man ... AP threads are notorious for mutual praise of a new record as the best thing ever written just because its new material by a band, and then 2 months later the same users are listening to the bands back catalogue instead because they prefer it more.

This is a good record, I just feel people need to settle down a bit. People were saying the exact same things about the last one and look how well that one is regarded now
While I agree that early hype is common, you do realize you're in the minority regarding New Surrender, right?
12:01 PM on 10/11/12
Jack Appleby
___
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Haha I was waiting for that. Yeah I do realize that, just thought I'd throw it in as I like it as much as the other 2 more high regarded records
I'm curious as to what in those three albums you mentioned you find more appealing than Vital. I figured the nostalgia factor would play in a lot, but to me, this is their best musically, by far.
12:27 PM on 10/11/12
Jack Appleby
___
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Its really not heavy. A couple heavier tracks, but that's it. With that being said, I encourage EVERYONE who sits here and says cities is better or "heavier" to go back and listen to cities. That album is the same, a few heavy cuts, a lot of slower and pop cuts as well...... This album is very, very good so far.

*ok now i am listening to Modern Age. Holy shit.

Very true - both albums split time between being high energy, soft, and heavy. If one band understands creating dynamics across an album, it's Anberlin. And Haha, Modern Age is a monster.

personally I think Cities is better lyrically and it's much more diverse muscially which is a huge positive for me. Plus, (*Fin) >>

But seriously, this has a better chance of eventually toppling Cities for me than I thought it did. It's fucking great.

Agreed on both points. Cities is definitely more diverse, while Vital is much more concise - I think both strategies worked nicely for their respective records.

the only songs i liked were self-starter, someone anyone, and God, Drugs, & Sex after listening for the first time. i think cities and new surrender are far superior. didn't really like the 80's vibe on some of the songs

Interesting choice of favorites - "Desires" and "Modern Age" did nothing for you? Or "Intentions" (80's-esque, but very NTFP).
12:27 PM on 10/11/12
Jack Appleby
___
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
never been a huge fan, although i found never take friendships personal to be super catchy. this new album starts off strong but i faded quick, energy didn't last throughout.
Did you by chance drop off after "Innocent?" I find the first half to be high energy, followed by a cool down section, ending on massiveness.
12:33 PM on 10/11/12
Jack Appleby
___
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I just think their older songs have better structures and hooks to them. Songs like the resistance, dismantle repair, paperthin hymn etc are heavy but heavy in the right moments. Some of these new songs sound like a mess to me, heavy guitar which isn't really that rythmic, loud synth from the 80's that sounds like a video game ... its so cluttered. I feel like you need to let a song breathe on its own, and the new songs don't possess that. They seemed so forced

Meh, looks like we just disagree. I think the hooks here are just as strong as Cities, though in a different way. Don't feel like there's a "mess" here at all - I think it's more of an accomplishment that they made such thick music work. I like this direction for the band.
12:35 PM on 10/11/12
Jack Appleby
___
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I've never understood the people who rave about The Resistance, that is such a bland, mediocre track to me. Self Starter shits all over it.

I actually really like The Resistance as a song, but the mix/production on the album is TERRIBLE - such a hollow track. Maybe not as strong as some of their other heavy tracks, but it's a damn good song and sounds great live.
12:58 PM on 10/11/12
Jack Appleby
___
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
As much as I love Neal Avron, he was not the right fit for that band after Cities IMO.
Agree completely.
That said, Stephen credits him Neal greatly for advancing their songwriting and structuring - I'll take the mediocre album for the lessons they learned.
06:02 PM on 10/11/12
Jack Appleby
___
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
These streams are kinda stupid, have to hurt record/online sales in some way which I hate for a band like Anberlin. Im waiting to get the real thing in my hands on Tuesday hopefully...
Not true at all. It's part of larger marketing plans.
Options
Related News Stories
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums