Username
Password

Comments: Page 9
Displaying posts 120 - 135 of 235
12:38 PM on 10/11/12
SpyKi
This Charming Man
User Info.
Meh, looks like we just disagree. I think the hooks here are just as strong as Cities, though in a different way. Don't feel like there's a "mess" here at all - I think it's more of an accomplishment that they made such thick music work. I like this direction for the band.
Yeah, I like how much going on there is, it'll be like the opposite of the lyrics on Dark. Where there's new shit to hear every time.
12:39 PM on 10/11/12
SpyKi
This Charming Man
User Info.
I actually really like The Resistance as a song, but the mix/production on the album is TERRIBLE - such a hollow track. Maybe not as strong as some of their other heavy tracks, but it's a damn good song and sounds great live.
The song as a whole just bores the shit out of me, I think every single song on NTFP and Cities (and now probably this) are much, much better. I probably wouldn't even put it in my top 5 for NS and I'm not a big fan of NS.
12:54 PM on 10/11/12
The Gryphonator
User Info.
As soon as I saw this was streaming, I put everything down and listened to the whole thing.

Jesus. I nearly melted at the end of Modern Age.
12:55 PM on 10/11/12
Jason Tate
User Info.
I actually really like The Resistance as a song, but the mix/production on the album is TERRIBLE - such a hollow track. Maybe not as strong as some of their other heavy tracks, but it's a damn good song and sounds great live.
As much as I love Neal Avron, he was not the right fit for that band after Cities IMO.
12:56 PM on 10/11/12
spezialk
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Am I the only one that hasn't ever been able to get into this band? Couldn't years ago, and just streamed this to see if my opinion has changed...nope.
You are part of the minority it seems.
12:58 PM on 10/11/12
Jack Appleby
___
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
As much as I love Neal Avron, he was not the right fit for that band after Cities IMO.
Agree completely.
That said, Stephen credits him Neal greatly for advancing their songwriting and structuring - I'll take the mediocre album for the lessons they learned.
01:06 PM on 10/11/12
jdplasma11
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Agree completely.
That said, Stephen credits him Neal greatly for advancing their songwriting and structuring - I'll take the mediocre album for the lessons they learned.

I might be the rarity who thinks NS was the natural step from Cities. Cities was very dark and introspective; a lot of NS is melancholic and full of longing, which makes sense. I'm glad they never tried to make another Cities - imo, only with DITW did they mis-step a bit, but I give them props for never trying to sell out an appeal to a bigger audience. They seem to genuinely write songs that they love and for the fans they have.
01:29 PM on 10/11/12
Thomas Nassiff
resuscitation of the year
User Info.
Not a huge fan of this band, but really enjoy this record.
^^^^^^
01:44 PM on 10/11/12
cowlord
( \_(ツ)_/)
User Info.
I thought Dark Is a Way was really good... but this is certainly better. haha
01:46 PM on 10/11/12
The Gryphonator
User Info.
It's like... everyone wanted them to make Cities Part 2... and now it seems like they tried. (and couldn't). So they decided to make something entirely new... and nailed it.

I wish every band would change up their sound after each album.
01:47 PM on 10/11/12
MGAdams
Ooh Waah You Connect Me
User Info.
I might be the rarity who thinks NS was the natural step from Cities. Cities was very dark and introspective; a lot of NS is melancholic and full of longing, which makes sense. I'm glad they never tried to make another Cities - imo, only with DITW did they mis-step a bit, but I give them props for never trying to sell out an appeal to a bigger audience. They seem to genuinely write songs that they love and for the fans they have.
I agree with you sir. I think that New Surrender never had a chance of doing well after the acclaim that Cities received. I think the band needed albums like the poppier New Surrender and the more melancholic DITW to get to where they are today. New Surrender and DITW were great albums on their own, but really never had a chance given what the fans craved.

That all being said, this is Anberlin's most cohesive effort to date. I am in love with the balance and Sprinkle's production is palpable on every track.
02:01 PM on 10/11/12
Joe DeAndrea
Radiosurgery
User Info.
wow, fucking love Innocent. Intentions is great too. Self Starter just makes me think of the new season of Dexter ("why do you staaaay until you seeee BLOOODDD"). but this is by far my favorite of theirs since Cities, whether it sounds similar or not. also accepting the fact there will probably never be another Adelaide :(
02:07 PM on 10/11/12
dash64
This Is My Design
User Info.
I really like this record, but will have to give it some time to sink it. That being said, it is definitely their best since Cities and the progression is very clear.
02:12 PM on 10/11/12
DejaMe
It's a funny thing this life.
User Info.
After 2 spins, album is pretty solid overall. But Cities will easily remain their best IMO. I honestly expected to be blown away after reading all the praise but sadly that didn't happen.....
02:12 PM on 10/11/12
xburningcoffin
User Info.
You aren't alone, I bought Blueprints way back when and never really liked what they have put out since. After a full listen, there are only a couple of songs I might come back to but they aren't blowing me away like they are for others. On an unrelated note this is one of the best album covers I have seen in a while!

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos