Staff Member
giants are going to win tonight.
10:35 AM on 10/22/12 
User Info.
Chris Collum
Louisville, KY
Male - 22 Years Old
Staff Member
I wouldn't be surprised, unfortunately. Oh well, we've still come a hell of a lot farther than I though we would this season.
10:52 AM on 10/22/12 
User Info.
TachyonEvan
Batman, for example, and Magellan.
Chicago
Male
Yeah, this is a bummer, but the Cardinals have totally fallen apart and the Giants have taken advantage with some excellent pitching and defense.

I'm expecting the Giants to win tonight, but I think it's a pretty even chance of going either way.
10:55 AM on 10/22/12 
User Info.
TachyonEvan
Chicago
Male
Things that need to happen tonight:

> Yadier Molina needs to not swing at the first pitch of every AB.
> If Kyle Lohse's control looks spotty and the Giants jump on him early, get Wainwright/Kelly throwing and on the mound ASAP. Carpenter went WAY too long last night.
> Balls need to not be hit in Pete Kozma's direction, please.
> Matt Carpenter needs to pounce on Cain like he has in the past.
> Brian Wilson needs to stay off my TV screen.
10:57 AM on 10/22/12 
User Info.
Chris Collum
Louisville, KY
Male - 22 Years Old
Staff Member
ESPN's AccuScore says 52% chance the Giants win...and we know they're always right. Seriously though, if we lose we lose, but I don't want to go out with a whimper like the last few nights. Let's at least get a couple runs off of Cain, shit.
10:59 AM on 10/22/12 
User Info.
Chris Collum
Louisville, KY
Male - 22 Years Old
Staff Member
Things that need to happen tonight:

> Yadier Molina needs to not swing at the first pitch of every AB.
> If Kyle Lohse's control looks spotty and the Giants jump on him early, get Wainwright/Kelly throwing and on the mound ASAP. Carpenter went WAY too long last night.
> Balls need to not be hit in Pete Kozma's direction, please.
> Matt Carpenter needs to pounce on Cain like he has in the past.
> Brian Wilson needs to stay off my TV screen.

This is key. I wanted Carp yanked in the 2nd. It doesn't matter that he settled down after that; it was a case of too little too late. It doesn't matter who's on the mound, you can't fuck around and leave them in a pitch longer than you have to if they're falling apart. I'd think Matheny would get that.
11:04 AM on 10/22/12 
User Info.
RyanFTW
ATTACK POP PUNK
Cotati, CA
Male - 27 Years Old
I am afraid that Brian Wilson will never leave anyone's TV screen, much to everyone's chagrin. He's not annoying to me when he's being a good closer, but now he is useless.
11:38 AM on 10/22/12 
User Info.
TachyonEvan
Chicago
Male
This is key. I wanted Carp yanked in the 2nd. It doesn't matter that he settled down after that; it was a case of too little too late. It doesn't matter who's on the mound, you can't fuck around and leave them in a pitch longer than you have to if they're falling apart. I'd think Matheny would get that.

I mean, we don't NEED Carpenter. It should be obvious by now that he came back too soon from his injury and shouldn't have re-joined the rotation. At least it feels obvious to me.

If I could tell in the first inning that Carpenter was off, then I promise you Matheny/Lilliquist/people who know infinitely more than I do could tell that he was getting behind in every count and throwing meatballs. Once the Giants had the lead, I don't understand not pinch-hitting for Carpenter in the top of the 3rd. I don't understand not putting in Joe Kelly five batters earlier (he should've been warm at that point).

I was very upset about that - and I'm not sure that it's a mistake that can be chalked up to Matheny making "rookie mistakes." I think it's about faith in a pitcher that you CAN'T have in the playoffs, when you're already down and you have a deep bullpen and your starter isn't throwing strikes. Would LaRussa have pinch-hit for Carpenter? I don't know. But I feel like having Carp bat in that third inning induced groans across the nation from frustrated fans like us who knew that he should've been out of the game a long time ago.

I know I've said here that I'm not happy with Matheny's management, but we can't totally blame our shitshow the last two games on his mistakes. Why can Lance Lynn only go three innings, and doesn't know how to throw to first on a bunt? Why is Allen Craig choking? Why does Yadier Molina have no discipline?

I'm very frustrated.
11:41 AM on 10/22/12 
User Info.
TachyonEvan
Chicago
Male
Again, all due credit to Zito and Vogelsong pitching the games of their lives.

Especially Vogelsong - I could tell in the first inning that we barely had a chance to score off him and we had to take every opportunity we could get. Watching him work inside/outside on right-handed hitters was crazy. Seriously, that two-seamer in on the hands to Craig/Molina/Freese/Holliday was deadly, and then he gave hitters a down-away pitch that they couldn't do anything with, then came back in. Hard to be too disappointed with the offense when a pitcher's on like that.
Now, our DEFENSE, on the other hand...
11:52 AM on 10/22/12 
User Info.
TachyonEvan
Chicago
Male
AB: Allen Craig
Pitching: Ryan Vogelsong

Top of the 4th, nobody on, 2 out.

Pitch 1: inside fastball (0-1)
Pitch 2: cutter over the outside edge (0-2)
Pitch 3: high fastball (1-2)
Pitch 4: high curve over the inner half (Craig pulled it foul) (1-2)
Pitch 5:

Pitch 6:

Pitch 7:

And then, Vogelsong striking out Craig in Game 2:

(thanks, fangraphs!)
12:01 PM on 10/22/12 
User Info.
Chris Collum
Louisville, KY
Male - 22 Years Old
Staff Member
I agree with you that we can't blame everything on Matheny, but not yanking Carp sooner is a very big issue. I think there's been too much trust in him this postseason given how recently he returned. It doesn't matter if his name is Chris Carpenter, he's not pitching like the Chris Carpenter that was a postseason phenomenon last year. The last few games have basically amounted to a shitstorm of mistakes by our defense, coaching staff, pitchers and hitters combined with two spectacular outings from Zito and Vogelsong that have combined to hand us two pretty bad defeats.
05:25 PM on 10/22/12 
User Info.
Chris Collum
Louisville, KY
Male - 22 Years Old
Staff Member
Alright get Wainwright up and throwing, Lohse is toast

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music