AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
We Are The Union - You Can't Hide The Sun Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8
Musicianship 8
Lyrics 8
Production 8
Creativity 8
Lasting Value 8
Reviewer Tilt 8
Final Verdict: 80%
Member Ratings
Vocals 9
Musicianship 9.17
Lyrics 9.42
Production 9.25
Creativity 9.75
Lasting Value 9.67
Reviewer Tilt 9.75
Average: 94%
Inside AP.net

We Are The Union - You Can't Hide The Sun

Reviewed by: Ryan Gardner (10/15/12)
We Are The UnionYou Can’t Hide The Sun
Record Label: Paper + Plastick Records
Release Date: October 16, 2012

It feels like it’s been ages since We Are The Union released Great Leaps Forward. Still, what a perfect title for their sophomore record that proved to be, allowing the breakthrough introduction of the ska-infused pop-punk band. It was brash, fast-paced, and reflective on the problems within society.

Well, here we are in 2012 and We Are The Union have more to say with You Can’t Hide The Sun. There’s a sense of angst here beaten into the band by society, but hope still lives somewhere in these songs. Things still aren’t all bright and beautiful, yet the world keeps on spinning. Make the most of your time – that’s what this album makes us aware of.

Hell, isn’t “Dust On The Hourglass” the embodiment of this sentiment? The opener gets going with guitars paving the way for the classic horns that come out of nowhere and perk up your ears. Yet while the song is a rapid fist-pumper, what hits the hardest is when the horns and guitars suddenly fade and cut out. At this point, this single line stands out: “So the years passed / You can see through dust on the hourglass / You’ve lost ten thousand grains of sand / And you can never get them back.” There’s no blaring horns, machine gun drumming, or amped up guitars here, just the help of Nick Diener (The Swellers) to deliver one of the most important lines on the record.

Inevitably, We Are The Union have grown up throughout the past two years. The prime example of this comes with the mid-tempo “Live Like Mitch.” Chunky guitar riffs make certain the line “I’m gonna live like Mitch / Give more than I get / Ride out the dark days with a grit” hits home. Alike to on the opener, Wolcot uses the structure of the track to his advantage, weaving the words, “Live hard to celebrate your life / I know you too well friend / Clean lungs were never meant / To run out of breath” in at the opportune time when the music cuts and all ears are on his words. Using this structure, the tragedy of dying young hits hard throughout this sentimental single.

But the guys still want to rock out, and that’s totally fine. “I Want You To Hit Me As Hard As You Can” is one of the most raucous, straight-up punk jams they’ve written, with roaring horns and rapid-fire drums making your foot tap along. Similarly, “If I Can't Smoke Or Swear, I'm Fucked” follows suit, as Jim Margle attacks the drum kit like a mad man for two minutes. Relying on horns and thick guitar strums, “415 In Progress” is sure to be a hit live, as concert goers are sure to yell, “So let this siren scream / You’re the noise complaint to this basement scene” at the top of their lungs.

Clearly, We Are The Union offer a little bit of everything throughout You Can’t Hide The Sun. It’s fast at times, while conscious and well planned at others. The example of this antithesis comes within the pair “Do What You Love…” and “Delta. Oscar. Whiskey. November.” The former has horns blaring as Wolcot finds a new form of optimism in never being held back – it’s an anthem of being true to yourself. On the other hand, the latter is a slower burner. It starts off with troubling palm mutes before the guitars pick up and drums come in as Wolcot sings with intensified emotion. Rapid fire drumming kicks up the energy of the track as Wolcot wails, “From the top of this mountain I live on / My only view is all I’ve done wrong / It plays over and over again.” It’s easily the most cathartic, strongest number on the record.

With You Can’t Hide The Sun, We Are The Union manage to find optimism buried within the depths of loss. Even when times get tough, moving forward proves to be the only option. Closer “The Ghost That Haunted Me” proves to be the epitome of this sentiment, being the record’s anthem with the resonating words, “Time only moves forward / So why waste it on the bad days.” As these notes ring out and You Can’t Hide The Sun ends, it’s evident that We Are The Union have taken great leaps forward to get here, and they aren’t about to give up now.

8/10

Recommended If You Likepop-punk; uh... Less Than Jake; The Swellers; Bayside; Four Year Strong

Additional InformationTrack Listing:
1. Dust On The Hourglass
2. I Want You To Hit Me As Hard As You Can
3. Live Like Mitch
4. 415 In Progress
5. Hellbound & Helpless
6. If I Can’t Smoke Or Swear, I’m Fucked
7. Dead End
8. Do What You Love…
9. …And Fuck The Rest
10. Delta. Oscar. Whiskey. November.
11. The Ghost That Haunted Me

We Are The Union is:
Reed Wolcot – Vocals, Guitar
Brandon Benson – Bass, Vocals
Jim Margle – Drums
Ricky Weber – Guitar

Facebook

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 16.
10:20 PM on 10/15/12
SparkBoy85
StefawnPeepees
User Info.
I'm pretty stoked to hear this album. Heard of them through the free Paper and Plastik sampler. Awesome stuff.
11:03 PM on 10/15/12
ReedAreTheUnion
We Are The Union
User Info.
I can't believe someone took the time to write so many nice things about my band. Thanks a lot, Ryan.
07:23 AM on 10/16/12
Ryan Gardner
@RyanGardnerC
User Info.
I can't believe someone took the time to write so many nice things about my band. Thanks a lot, Ryan.
Don't be so shocked man. A good record deserves recognition
07:37 AM on 10/16/12
NobleStabbings!
Registered User...or am I?
User Info.
Quote:
At this point, this single line stands out: “So the years passed / You can see through dust on the hourglass / You’ve lost ten thousand grains of sand / And you can never get them back.” There’s no blaring horns, machine gun drumming, or amped up guitars here, just Reed Wolcot’s composed delivery of one of the most important lines on the record.

Hate to be this guy, but that line is actually sung by Nick Diener from The Swellers, not Reed.
08:28 AM on 10/16/12
Ryan Gardner
@RyanGardnerC
User Info.
Hate to be this guy, but that line is actually sung by Nick Diener from The Swellers, not Reed.
That makes sense! Knew I got a Swellers vibe - thanks!
08:46 AM on 10/16/12
avarice14
A Waste Of A Time
User Info.
Easily one of the strongest pop punk, and probably the strongest ska record, of this year. Sweet review.
08:50 AM on 10/16/12
Jaytothesyg
The Greatest Generation
User Info.
I didn't notice Nick! I gotta check it out again. But album was good on first listen
09:18 AM on 10/16/12
dannylololol
Stay Hungry. Stay Free.
User Info.
I can't wait to see these songs played in Minneapolis next month! I've been trying to see this band since I got their first album for free on Purevolume when I was in middle school like 5 years ago. I lived in Fargo back then and constantly messaged them on Myspace (lol) trying to convince them to play shows there so I could see them. Now that I moved here I'll finally get my chance!
07:10 AM on 10/17/12
touchdownboi
Bob Calwell
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Loved your review. Loved the album.
07:32 AM on 10/17/12
ReedAreTheUnion
We Are The Union
User Info.
Easily one of the strongest pop punk, and probably the strongest ska record, of this year. Sweet review.
WOW! Thank you so much for this.
09:47 PM on 10/21/12
Dunlop Park
User Info.
This album is too good."I Want You Hit Me As Hard As You Can" is such a jam, plus I love the Fight club reference.
12:30 AM on 10/22/12
avarice14
A Waste Of A Time
User Info.
This album is too good."I Want You Hit Me As Hard As You Can" is such a jam, plus I love the Fight club reference.
They have a Fight Club reference title in each album!
06:22 AM on 10/31/12
GiganticOwl
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
First time I've had it and this We Are The Union dish is delicious.
06:59 PM on 11/06/12
TSLataris
Representin' the 514
User Info.
Any band that has a Trailer Park Boys episode as one of their song titles is alright in my books.

Love this album.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums