AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Draffin - In the Echoes of This Mind Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8
Musicianship 8
Lyrics 6.25
Production 8.75
Creativity 7.5
Lasting Value 7.25
Reviewer Tilt 8.75
Final Verdict: 78%
Member Ratings
No one has rated this album. You can be the first.
Inside AP.net

Draffin - In the Echoes of This Mind

Reviewed by: untitled2112 (01/26/08)
Draffin - In the Echoes of This Mind
Record Label: None
Release Date: May 8, 2007

Apparently the rock/metal scene in Rochester isn’t as stagnant as I once imagined it. Draffin make me realize there is life in the Rochester scene, and plenty of it. You know what this band brings? Oh, what’s that stuff the scene used to have back in the day? Oh yeah, talent. Don’t believe me? Their EP, In the Echoes of This Mind will make you a believer.

Draffin quickly entered my top five Rochester rock bands, and the more I listen to this record, the closer they push to the number one spot. The opening track, “Burning Down Mansions” blew me away. Lead vocalist Dan Maynard (ironic that with the name Maynard, he is a good singer) has me hanging on every word he expresses. His voice sells the product in such a concise fashion that I can’t stop listening.

“My Angel” reveals itself as one of the “special songs” off In the Echoes of This Mind. Not only does the vocal aspect astonish, but the musicianship throughout is unbelievably tight. Later follows perhaps the record's strongest song, “Solarity II: The Acceptance.” Here is the ballad I was asking Draffin for ever since I popped this album into my CD player, and it is well worth the wait. Draffin employ the use of just enough hardcore themes to give a really cool edge. Not saying that subtle hardcore use is strictly a novel idea, but it has its uses. “The Art of Fading” and the incredibly titled “Consciously Connected (At a Loss for Words)” are two of the beefier rock tracks that will have you pumping your fists and banging your head, if you're anything like me.

OK, step one: listen to In the Echoes of this Mind. Step two: see this band live; with such dramatic allure within the music, one must assume Draffin are a great live act. I hope I catch them live as soon as possible. As for everyone else, complete these simple steps and initiate yourself into a refreshingly new atmosphere of rock and roll.

Displaying posts 1 - 2 of 2
03:45 PM on 01/31/08
Adrian Villagomez
The Sword the Anvil the Stone
User Info.
Reviewer Tilt: 5.5?

Seems that should be higher, based on your praise.
Options
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests