AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Abel - Make It Right Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 7
Musicianship 7
Lyrics 7
Production 7
Creativity 7
Lasting Value 7
Reviewer Tilt 7
Final Verdict: 70%
Member Ratings
Vocals 7.89
Musicianship 7.94
Lyrics 7.67
Production 7.86
Creativity 7.92
Lasting Value 7.86
Reviewer Tilt 8
Average: 79%
Inside AP.net
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.

Abel - Make It Right

Reviewed by: Drew Beringer (10/18/12)
AbelMake It Right
Release Date: September 18, 2012
Record Label: None

If AbsolutePunk.net were Dr. Frankenstein and had to create a new monster – um, I mean, band – using elements of some of our favorite artists, Abel may be the band that emerges from that lightning-struck operating table. Take the poignant lyricism of Thrice, combine it with Brand New’s dark musicianship and add just a pinch of Manchester Orchestra’s vulnerability – voila! – you get Make It Right, the latest album from Poughkeepsie’s Abel. Produced by Matt Malpass (Manchester Orchestra, Lydia, Copeland), the album’s ten track’s explosive guitar work and its passionate lyrics turns Abel’s Make It Right into an album you’ll can’t get enough of.

“I’ll Be Waiting” erupts out the gate with massive guitar chords and Kevin Kneifel powerful vocals – it’s an absolute scorcher that sets the tone for Make It Right. “Fire Walk With Me” continues the trend with a powerful stomp-along anthem, as it’s an indication of the improvement Abel has made from previous releases. There is a great balance of highs and lows throughout, as Abel understands when to unload (the urgent“Daughter”) and when to dial it back (“Fifteen Years”). “Fine Lines” displays this balance in its nearly 4 minutes, as the electrifying intro leads to a calm pre-chorus before unleashing its fire in the final minute.

The most delicious guitar licks occur on the sinister “Your Heart, Your Soul,” a track that will have listeners immediately hitting “repeat.” It’s the best song Brand New never wrote, and the biggest highlight on Make It Right. Kneifel’s voice is the perfect foil for the dark guitar chords of “A Grief Observed,” as his “whoa-oh-oh’s” soar and lift the song up. While the song structures on Make It Right can get a bit repetitive throughout, it’s moments like these that proves Abel is on the right path.

Each track on Make It Right is rich and substantial, and Kneifiel’s lyrics are still relatable even if you aren’t religious. His words deal with failure and being unfulfilled – it’s about facing confrontation and making the best with what you got. You can’t fake that kind of passion and that’s what will keep fans coming back to Poughkeepsie quartet. AbsolutePunk.net’s tag line for years has been “your favorite band may just be a click away.” That motto has never been more true for Abel’s Make It Right.

7/10

Additional InformationTrack Listing:
1. I'll Be Waiting
2. Fire Walk With Me
3. An Ultimatum
4. Come Home
5. Fine Lines
6. Daughter
7. A Grief Observed
8. Fifteen Years
9. Your Heart, Your Soul
10. Comfort And Truth
Produced by: Matt Malpass

Abel is:
Kevin Kneifel
Dan Bishop
Alex David
John Rell III

Official AP.net Profile; Official Website; Official Facebook Page; Official Twitter Account

Displaying posts 1 - 14 of 14.
05:43 PM on 10/18/12
Gregory Robson
Under Rug Swept
User Info.
Glad to hear they're still kicking. The Honest Love EP was great. Glad to hear this carries that momentum forward.
08:10 PM on 10/18/12
Quijiba
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
This album is fantastic. Would have rated it slightly higher 80-85 range. Good review
04:42 AM on 10/19/12
Gregory Robson
Under Rug Swept
User Info.
This album is fantastic. Would have rated it slightly higher 80-85 range. Good review
Yep. Its an 85, for sure.
10:11 AM on 10/20/12
awakeohsleeper
We never met, you and I
User Info.
I've really enjoyed this album. Still love "The Honest Love EP" the most. However, this is a big step up from the last album. Great!
01:27 AM on 10/21/12
evilandgood
User Info.
Interesting to see that score correspond to the heaps of praise dolloped on this album in the review.
Seems like there's a bit of a disconnect.
I may be wrong, but it seems like you liked this album more than the number implies. Care to elaborate?
Just curious :)
01:45 PM on 10/21/12
Kelly Doherty
@_kellydoherty for the lolz
User Info.
Pretty good album. Great review!
01:48 PM on 10/21/12
Drew Beringer
Senior Editor | @drewberinger | Locked Groove
User Info.
Interesting to see that score correspond to the heaps of praise dolloped on this album in the review.
Seems like there's a bit of a disconnect.
I may be wrong, but it seems like you liked this album more than the number implies. Care to elaborate?
Just curious :)
I don't put much thought into my score
10:33 AM on 10/22/12
Vance Mook
Fastest Kid in School
User Info.
Giving this another listen now. I feel a little All Get Out in it too, along with Brand New, Manchester and even a little Kenny Vasoli in the vocals. I feel like I'll love it as soon as I get past the religious overtones.
10:59 AM on 10/22/12
Archael
listens to good music
User Info.
haven't listened to them yet,

heard mixed things about them
11:16 AM on 10/22/12
theherox
Hi, I'm Alexander #2
User Info.
nice to see this review finally up! 1st paragraph is so true. lots of Thrice meets BN meets MO with this band

OHHH THE DEVIL WANTS TO DRAG MY SOUL drag my soul DOWN TO THE LAKE OF FIRE!
12:43 PM on 10/22/12
Frinet
run
User Info.
The lyrics are what make this album for me
06:15 PM on 10/22/12
Mikeallover
User Info.
I like this album, probably give it an 80-85%
02:29 PM on 10/23/12
MyEpicThrice
User Info.
Absolutely love this album and it's up there for my AotY. Totally surprised me even though I loved Lesser Men too.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests