Password

Album Review

The Joy Formidable - This Ladder Is Ours Album Cover

The Joy Formidable - This Ladder Is Ours

Reviewed by
Joy Formidable, TheThis Ladder Is Ours – Single
Record Label: Atlantic Records
Release Date: October 9th, 2012
A couple of weeks ago, Amazon MP3 had a promotion for $2 in free credit. I wasn’t sure what to get, so I looked around and found the new single by English trio The Joy Formidable entitled The Ladder Is Ours. It only has two songs, and it’s a teaser for an upcoming album in 2013 entitled Wolf’s Law, but it’s definitely worth mentioning. I had vaguely heard of this band before, meaning I saw them on Facebook, and other various social media sites, but however, I never looked into them. Since I had some free credit, I thought I’d take a look at the single and see what all of the buzz was about. Well, it didn’t take long when I was listening to it for me to figure it out.

The single (or EP, I suppose) is only two songs, but these two songs are drastically different from one another. The first track is the title track, and it starts off slowly, with a violin, almost letting the listener prepare for what’s about to come. It’s quiet, but slowly builds up until about 45 seconds in, when the rest of the instrumentation kicks in. At about a minute and twenty seconds in, vocalist / guitarist Ritzy Bryan begins singing. She’s not the best singer I’ve ever heard, but in terms of female vocalists in indie-rock, she does fit in with the rest of them. The song itself clocks in a little over 5 minutes, but it doesn’t drag on whatsoever. At the three-minute point, the song slows down ever so slightly, and Bryan can sing a bit more clearly, which is nice. It shows off her voice a bit more. Second, and final song, “Cholla,” is much shorter, but still packs quite a punch. It’s also much different; an electric guitar immediately kicks off the track, not leaving any breathing room, so to speak. It doesn’t take long for the song to start, either. The tempo is a bit faster, and has a much more “indie-rock” sound to it. “This Ladder Is Ours” has a very indie-pop sound, while this one is quite the opposite. Out of the two tracks, this is my favorite, but both songs are fantastic. This is a very fitting teaser single/EP for fans to wait before Wolf’s Law hits stores next year.

Recommended If You Like Eisley, The xx, Of Monsters and Men, Arcade Fire, any indie-rock band with a female vocalist.

Additional Information
Track Listing:
1. This Ladder Is Ours
2. Cholla

The Joy Formidable is:
Ritzy Bryan – Vocals / Guitar
Rhydian Dfydd - Bass
Matt Thomas - Drums

www.facebook.com/thejoyformidable
This review is a user submitted review from justbradley. You can see all of justbradley's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 4 of 4
02:16 PM on 10/25/12
morgantayler
Toooo maaaaany cooooks
User Info.
Good review! I can't wait for their new album.

In the additional info part though you called them All Time Low. Just letting you know haha :)
03:07 PM on 10/25/12
justbradley
User Info.
Good review! I can't wait for their new album.

In the additional info part though you called them All Time Low. Just letting you know haha :)
Thank you! Oh god, I'm sorry. I actually copied and pasted my ATL review into this, so I didn't have to constantly change the format... Haha. I'll change that now! Thanks for noticing, haha.

Edit: Okay, changed it! I really do like this band, though; I had vaguely heard of them, and decided to listen to this single (or EP) to see what they're about. I definitely like it, and can't wait for Wolf's Law next year.
09:15 AM on 11/01/12
Monty Burns
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
"...English trio The Joy Formidable"

Dude, this band is from Wales. They are a Welsh trio.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos