AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

General Announcement News
Have a news tip? Submit news.

Are Artists In the Scene Striving For the Same Voice?

Posted by - 06:40 PM on 01/29/08
The December '07 issue of SPIN Magazine featured an article about the vocals of the scene and how there is only one sound that all vocalists are striving for. Click here to read it. If you click "1-Page" on the top menu, the text will be large enough to read on-screen.

Submitted by Exit30six

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 90
06:45 PM on 01/29/08
JCCC
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I read this a few weeks ago and thought itd be interesting to post on here. Although the article comes off snobby at times it couldn't be more true.
06:48 PM on 01/29/08
anamericangod
User Info.
Article is void due to the fact they associated Bush and Silverchair with Creed and 3 Doors Down.
06:51 PM on 01/29/08
Yes. And?
♥ break in stereo.
User Info.
Interesting.
06:53 PM on 01/29/08
RyanFTW
ATTACK POP PUNK
User Info.
I don't see how they can associate Max Bemis with the other vocalists. His voice is actually quite unique.
06:55 PM on 01/29/08
ESundy36
GO FRIARS!
User Info.
Article is void due to the fact they associated Bush and Silverchair with Creed and 3 Doors Down.

Agreed.
06:56 PM on 01/29/08
RyanFTW
ATTACK POP PUNK
User Info.

game set match.
06:59 PM on 01/29/08
anamericangod
User Info.
I don't see how they can associate Max Bemis with the other vocalists. His voice is actually quite unique.

This is true.

Chris from Dashboard also has incredible range. Chris from Saves The Day looks like Perez Hilton.
07:02 PM on 01/29/08
RyanFTW
ATTACK POP PUNK
User Info.
This is true.

Chris from Dashboard also has incredible range. Chris from Saves The Day looks like Perez Hilton.

His live shows are a testament to that. Spin Magazine enjoys talking out of their ass anyways.
07:02 PM on 01/29/08
ArmorForZzZzZ
The Tallest Man on Earth
User Info.
Anyone ever use one of those humidifiers before singing? I've been interested to try one.
07:03 PM on 01/29/08
JCCC
User Info.
No Avatar Selected

Not to me. As much as I like Say Anything now I just couldn't get into them at first cause of the voice. They do have a lot going for them compared to most bands in the scene despite the generic emo voice.
07:03 PM on 01/29/08
mjr20
User Info.
I dont see how those artists sound similar. But some bands do have same sounding voices;starting line/moneen, Muse and Radiohead.
07:06 PM on 01/29/08
Miss Heartcore
Snowflakes in the Air
User Info.
not sure why Permanent Me was even citied among those bands in the beginning of the article...that made absolutely no sense to me.

other than that, i'm surprised they didn't talk about "The Long Island Sound" with bands such as TBS, Brand News, Glassjaw, and Envy on the Coast.
07:09 PM on 01/29/08
sdbrown
I'll let you in something secret
User Info.
There are only a select few vocalists who can pull off that whiney- pop punk sound and I think it's helped to start separate some from the pack. And I don't know why they included Motion City (plus a few others) out there, Justin has a really unique voice that just so happens to be high pitched.
07:09 PM on 01/29/08
mattybobviously
WE DID IT!
User Info.
There is definitely a sound that lots of the vocalists from these faux-screamo bands are going for.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos