AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
P.O.S - We Don't Even Live Here Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 9
Musicianship 9
Lyrics 9
Production 9
Creativity 9
Lasting Value 9
Reviewer Tilt 9
Final Verdict: 90%
Member Ratings
Vocals 9.06
Musicianship 9.31
Lyrics 9.13
Production 9.63
Creativity 9.38
Lasting Value 9.06
Reviewer Tilt 9.44
Average: 93%
Inside AP.net
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.

P.O.S - We Don't Even Live Here

Reviewed by: Drew Beringer (10/23/12)
P.O.SWe Don’t Even Live Here
Release Date: October 22, 2012
Record Label: Rhymesayers/Doomtree

No one gives a fuck about shit/so fuck your shit/we fuck shit up/‘cuz shit’s fucked anyway

Over the span of four albums, this is probably the single best lyric to describe P.O.S’ on his new album We Don't Even Live Here. The lyric is from “Get Down,” a sinister banger that caters more to the bar fight scene than the club scene and is one of many highlights on P.O.S' fourth studio album. The manic, devil-may-care attitude of the song exemplifies the attitude throughout the album’s eleven tracks. Featuring contributions from the Doomtree crew (Sims, Cecil Otter, Mike Mictlan, and Lazerbeak) and close friends (Bon Iver’s Justin Vernon, Astronautalis, Isaac Gale), We Don’t Even Live Here is the weirdest, angriest, and best P.O.S album to date.

Engineered and executively produced by Andrew Dawson (yet another longtime friend of P.O.S), We Don’t Even Live Here is layered with effects-rich beats and savage rhymes, lending itself as the perfect party playlist for your everyday anarchist. And the anti-materialistic anthem “Fuck Your Stuff” is the first track you’ll play. Along with the Doomtree crew, P.O.S unleashes war on corporate/mainstream America (I never cared about your bucks, so if I run up with a mask on/probably got a gas can too/and I’m not here to fill her up/no we came to riot/here to incite/we don’t want any of your stuff) over a fucking raucous celebration-like beat courtesy of Lazerbeak. The track is a taunt to conventional hip-hop and sets the tone for the rest of the album.

We get a first-hand listen to all the “weird shit” he and his crew gets down to on the Boyz Noize-aided glitchy title track and aforementioned “Get Down,” while the menacing “All Of It” has P.O.S and company revels in a controlled rage over the hyperkinetic beat. But We Don’t Even Live Here shines when it turns down the volume and gets experimental (it's also a showcase of Lazerbeak's primo production skills). “They Can’t Come” is gritty throughout. Paced by jaunty piano chords, its chorus will leave an unmistakable imprint on your membrane (Sims also drops an all-time best verse). P.O.S and Astronautalis collaborate to bring the listener a real talk reality check on “Wanted/Wasted,” while the “Pissed Off” portion of P.O.S rises to the surface on the fiery “Arrow To The Action/Fire In The Hole.”

The album takes a gorgeous turn with “How We Land,” a hypnotic jam that’s taken to the next stratosphere with Justin Vernon’s hauntingly smooth vocals. Full of introspective lyrics and intricate background noises, “How We Land” may go down as the best song in P.O.S’ career. Despite all the anger and outrage throughout We Don’t Even Live Here, the album still possesses these moments of clarity and restrained purpose, giving WDELH that much-needed balance.

We Don’t Even Live Here is stuffed with eleven of P.O.S' best work – good luck picking a favorite track, as that will change daily. WDELH is a remarkable improvement on the style and craft of his first three albums – something I didn’t think was really possible after his last effort. But don’t expect Stef to ever change, as he spits, Aight motherfucker see I was born like this/pissed with a twist/raised in the Midwest/where they hate with a grin, on the darkly aggressive “Lockpicks, Knives, Bricks and Bats.” That attitude has led to We Don’t Even Live Here being the most definitive P.O.S album yet. Just don’t forget your baseball bats and cinder blocks.

9/10

Additional InformationTrack Listing:
1. Bumper (Produced by P.O.S)
2. Fuck Your Stuff (Produced by Lazerbeak)
3. How We Land (feat. Justin Vernon of Bon Iver) (Produced by P.O.S and Andrew Dawson)
4. Wanted/Wasted (feat. Astronautalis) (Produced by Cecil Otter)
5. They Can't Come (feat. Sims) (Produced by Lazerbeak)
6. Lock-Picks, Knives, Bricks and Bats (Produced by Lazerbeak)
7. Fire in the Hole / Arrow the the Action (Produced by Lazerbeak)
8. Get Down (feat. Mike Mictlan) (Produced by Patric Russel)
9. All of It (Produced by Ryan Olson)
10. Weird Friends (We Don't Even Live Here) (Produced by Housemeister and Boyz Noize)
11. Piano Hits (feat. Isaac Gale of Marijuana Deathsquads) (Produced by Cecil Otter)
Executive Producer and Engineer: Andrew Dawson

Official AP.net Profile; Official Website; Official Facebook Page; Official Twitter Account

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 68
12:50 PM on 10/23/12
Samprattsap
User Info.
Great review. This album gets better with every listen.
01:35 PM on 10/23/12
wall e
@mattobrien37
User Info.
This deserves its score.
01:44 PM on 10/23/12
brook183
@brooks_an
User Info.
9/10 is what I would give it too.
kidwithhelmet
User Info.
Can't get enough of this record! Great review.
brennanisarealboy
User Info.
How We Land is slowly becoming my favorite P.O.S. track.
01:53 PM on 10/23/12
Slangster
Kill the lights, I've seen too much
User Info.
Good review. Fantastic record. This is an AOTY contender for me.
02:01 PM on 10/23/12
Cody Nelson
Your mouth to God's south.
User Info.
I enjoyed your review, and love this album, but never in a million years would I use that particular lyric to describe Stefon's style. It's almost a little insulting to his talent.
02:10 PM on 10/23/12
wordsAREcancer
we are not consistent!
User Info.
"How We Land" and "They Can't Come" are fucking awesome. Can't stop listening
02:12 PM on 10/23/12
Drew Beringer
Senior Editor - @drewberinger - Locked Groove
User Info.
I enjoyed your review, and love this album, but never in a million years would I use that particular lyric to describe Stefon's style. It's almost a little insulting to his talent.
really? He's always had that anarchist style, that lyric is a simple, broad way of showing that. Maybe I was too vague but I more or less related that lyric to the entire attitude of this album and not necessarily his entire body of work.
02:19 PM on 10/23/12
Holly HoX!
User Info.
really? He's always had that anarchist style, that lyric is a simple, broad way of showing that. Maybe I was too vague but I more or less related that lyric to the entire attitude of this album and not necessarily his entire body of work.

I agree with him, but that's before your comment. It's far from his best lyric, but maybe it does sum up the abrasive nature of the release. It just didn't seem like that's what you meant in the review.

Either way, can't wait to hear it.
02:22 PM on 10/23/12
Drew Beringer
User Info.
I agree with him, but that's before your comment. It's far from his best lyric, but maybe it does sum up the abrasive nature of the release. It just didn't seem like that's what you meant in the review.

Either way, can't wait to hear it.
right, this album is his most aggressive, angriest album yet IMO, I was just too vague in that first sentence haha, I edited it to make more sense.
02:28 PM on 10/23/12
RyanFTW
ATTACK POP PUNK
User Info.
The Chorus in "How We Land" is so killer.
02:30 PM on 10/23/12
Holly HoX!
User Info.
right, this album is his most aggressive, angriest album yet IMO, I was just too vague in that first sentence haha, I edited it to make more sense.

Coo doe. Did you like GKMC? It's the reason I haven't listened to this yet...
02:31 PM on 10/23/12
Drew Beringer
User Info.
Coo doe. Did you like GKMC? It's the reason I haven't listened to this yet...
love it, it's a top 10 album along with this
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News