Username
Password

All Posts by User
Displaying user's 10 posts.
02:12 PM on 10/23/12
Drew Beringer
Senior Editor - @drewberinger - Locked Groove
User Info.
I enjoyed your review, and love this album, but never in a million years would I use that particular lyric to describe Stefon's style. It's almost a little insulting to his talent.
really? He's always had that anarchist style, that lyric is a simple, broad way of showing that. Maybe I was too vague but I more or less related that lyric to the entire attitude of this album and not necessarily his entire body of work.
02:22 PM on 10/23/12
Drew Beringer
User Info.
I agree with him, but that's before your comment. It's far from his best lyric, but maybe it does sum up the abrasive nature of the release. It just didn't seem like that's what you meant in the review.

Either way, can't wait to hear it.
right, this album is his most aggressive, angriest album yet IMO, I was just too vague in that first sentence haha, I edited it to make more sense.
02:31 PM on 10/23/12
Drew Beringer
User Info.
Coo doe. Did you like GKMC? It's the reason I haven't listened to this yet...
love it, it's a top 10 album along with this
03:45 PM on 10/23/12
Drew Beringer
User Info.
I agree that anarchism and rebellion (more just general going against the grain) are two topics that he normally deals heavily in, but he's frequently very poignant and thoughtful when dealing in those themes. I understood the point you were going for, it's just that such a simple and brash line like that doesn't nearly sum up his abilities or encompass the manner in which he normally thrives lyrically IMO.

It's all good, though, we're both big fans, and like I said, the rest of your review is very on-point. luvu.
I'm not trying to say that that lyric is a summary of his lyrical content or his abilities, just his general attitude on the album, the style on the album, etc. it just feels and sounds a bit more reckless/experimental.
04:39 PM on 10/23/12
Drew Beringer
User Info.
my biggest problem with this album is some of the beats (just a few) but other than that, it's as good as i expected/hoped.
could you expand on what you don't like about some of the beats?
04:54 PM on 10/23/12
Drew Beringer
User Info.
just lacking in a real groove/rhythm. the electronic parts got a bit janky on a few songs. best example is "get down."

my favorite beats on the record are: "wanted/wasted" and "they can't come."
the whole middle section of the album is fantastic (no surprised as Lazerbeak produces the majority of them). I like the weirder glitchy dance songs, I enjoy the flow in Get Down but I can understand why some people may not enjoy the actual beat of the song.
04:59 PM on 10/23/12
Drew Beringer
User Info.
if NB sits at about a 8.5/10 (my rating), this album's about a 7.2ish.

sidenote: you reviewing kendrick?
There's something about this album that I like more than Never Better. Both records are high for me though, I guess I must be deaf cuz I love the entire album and the first time I heard it a few months ago I immediately hit repeat. Maybe I just like it more cuz it's a bit more accesible and I think the slower jams on this album are little more refined and focused than what Never Better had.

and Dre is reviewing KL
08:07 AM on 10/24/12
Drew Beringer
User Info.
So it's "P.O.S" without the full stop after the S now?
it's always been like that

08:41 PM on 10/24/12
Drew Beringer
User Info.
I'm not a hip-hop / rap guy by any means at all but with how much this site loves this dude I might just have to check it out.

hey Drew, are you reviewing Atlas?

Yeah
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT