AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Godard - Pizza Throwing EP Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 7
Musicianship 8
Lyrics 8
Production 7
Creativity 7.5
Lasting Value 7.5
Reviewer Tilt 7.5
Final Verdict: 75%
Member Ratings
No one has rated this album. You can be the first.

Godard - Pizza Throwing EP

Reviewed by: justbradley (10/23/12)
GodardPizza Throwing EP
Record Label: Mostache Records / Don’t Shoot the Messenger
Release Date: September 22nd, 2012

Last week, I got a private message on Absolutepunk from a band called Godard; they told me they liked some reviews I did, and loved it if I reviewed their new EP, entitled Pizza Throwing. Well, I looked at the cover, and it had Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle Michealangelo on it. I definitely had to check it out, because I’m a huge fan of the pizza eating ninja turtles. They told me they were a pop-punk from the UK, and that also made me quite interested. I don’t know of too many pop-punk bands from across the pond, except for Neck Deep, and I didn’t find their new EP too appealing, in all honesty. It was enjoyable, but lacked much lasting value. As for Godard, I found a bit more worthwhile here.

The EP starts off with “Fountains,” and the opening track usually sets the stage for what the band in question is all about; for Godard, they’re not your average pop-punk band. The main thing I love about this band are their lyrics; in “Fountains,” the lyric in the chorus goes, “You’re like an abandoned fountain / Something people used to cast their wishes in / And now you’re all dried / Your concrete’s all cracked up.” I really like their lyrics, and in pop-punk lyrics are huge, because pop-punk doesn’t have too much variety. They aren’t too generic, in all honesty. It’s clear these guys don’t wear their influences on their sleeves, but do want to pay homage to the bands that did influence them. When a band can do that, it truly works. Overall, however, “Fountains” is a nice opening track. There’s really nothing different here, minus the lyrics. Well, there aren’t any curveballs thrown on this track, but that’s a good thing, though; the curveballs show up in other places. Next track “Stark,” it starts off with an interesting guitar riff, but it still continues the sound that Godard has, however, the end is also very interesting. The tempo changes a bit, and it does switch the song up, too. It keeps the song from becoming a cliché pop-punk track I’ve heard time and time again. Third track, “Sunday,” is the shortest track at about 2 minutes, but it’s also my favorite. There’s a very interesting spoken word verse in the middle of the song where it’s only the vocalists talking, and it’s really interesting. It sounds like a poem, in all honesty. Finally, last track “Royalty” is a much softer track, and it’s a nice closing track as well.

Overall, this is a pretty entertaining EP. It’s quite short, with only four songs, but it still holds up. They do have that “new” band quality, where the production isn’t very great, but it’s still not bad, compared to lots of other bands I’ve heard. That’s really the only complaint I have with this EP, but it’s not fault of the band at all. While I listened to this EP, I heard hints of indie/pop-punk band Transit, especially in “Royalty,” and if they moved forward with that sound, I could really get into them.

Recommended If You LikeUK pop-punk.

Additional Information
Track Listing:
1. Fountains
2. Stark
3. Sunday
4. Royalty

Godard is:
Tristan
Conall
Charlie

www.facebook.com/godarduk

No one has commented on this album review.
You can be the first.
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums