AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review

Nightmare of You/Nightmares for a Week -... Album Cover

Nightmare of You/Nightmares for a Week -...

Reviewed by
Nightmare of You/Nightmares for a Week - Nightmares Split
Record Label: Paper + Plastick
Release Date: October 31, 2012
Whether you’re a fan of punk or indie rock, the appropriately named Nightmares split – between two bands that share the common word in their names – is both a refresher and a new taste in the span of four tracks. Whether you’re looking to get back into Nightmares of You or you’re searching for a band that rocks a bit harder in Nightmares for a Week, this is a split that brings two rather contrasting sounds together for a varied, but still enjoy four tracks of songs on a Halloween release date. Even if you aren’t particularly familiar with either band though, the songwriting is bolstered to the point that these tracks can serve as a good starting point to delve into either if that is your intent.

For Nightmare of You, their side gives us the first batch of label-released music since 2009 – and it surely doesn’t disappoint. “Box of Hops” is the slower of the pair, giving Brandon Reilly a spotlight for his smooth vocal licks to entwine with the sharp pops of guitar melodies that embody this track. While not exactly as flashy as “It’s Not Enough Until It’s Killing Me” – a track with a spacey kick of boiling melodies and a pulsing backbeat to boot – it grabs us just enough to not seem forced without sounding completely washed out. “It’s Not Enough” is arguably the immediate winner of NOY’s pair though, as the bright chorus and stomping beat are honestly tough to ignore even in the frank spouting Reilly does throughout. To be incredibly honest though, whether you’re a new or old fan, Nightmare of You deliver a strong one-two return on the split.

Nightmares for a Week suddenly take the rough and tumble road sonically though, with the sub-minute blast of “2011” standing as a brash, no-fucks-given slugfest. Hitting with crunching guitars and an impressive rhythm section to push the tempo, the band doesn’t waste any time grabbing your attention. But to throw a further curve, “Mr. Grimm” takes a mid-tempo step back to give the band’s songwriting a bit more room to breathe. And that it does, if even in a slightly predictable way, giving way to some arguably strong vocal lines from the one-two punch of guitarist Bill Manley and bassist Sean Pillsworth. For a band still a bit under the radar, at least for me, this is a great jumping off point for a band that gives two different looks while appealing to fans of both melodic and mayhem through their two tracks.

Though it would be tough to argue that these tracks are the best either has done, none of these tracks are arguably filler or skippable by any means, as both do their respective sounds solid justice in the confines of a few minutes. But regardless of why you might – or should – be checking this out, Nightmares ends up as another solid split in the continued process of such a bond in the world of music, as both bands flex enough of their strengths to make you want to pursue or revisit their previous works as a result of what they’ve done here.
This review is a user submitted review from Jason Gardner. You can see all of Jason Gardner's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 6 of 6
05:01 AM on 10/25/12
Vance Mook
Fastest Kid in School
User Info.
This sounds really interesting, never heard Nightmare of You but I'm in love with the first Nightmares for a Week EP. I'll have to check this out when I can.
07:14 AM on 10/25/12
DrStrong
Resident Misogynist
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
This sounds really interesting, never heard Nightmare of You but I'm in love with the first Nightmares for a Week EP. I'll have to check this out when I can.
Dude, get on that, Nightmare of You's first LP is a classic.
11:38 AM on 10/25/12
The_Effort
User Info.
Love nightmare of you; I cant wait to check this out.
01:39 PM on 10/25/12
koopman
Espo
User Info.
Will say it again, Nightmares For A Week rules and everyone should check them out
06:55 AM on 02/13/13
frankmcginnis
Frank McGinnis
User Info.
Love NFAW! Good friends of mine and one of the best live bands you'll ever see. If they come anywhere near your hometown, do yourslef a huge favor and make it out to their show.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos