AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Interview: Sick/Sea - 10.25.12

Sick/Sea - 10.25.12

Interviewed by
Sick/Sea - 10.25.12The following is a mini interview of generic questions that we posed to all bands that wanted to answer:

Sick/Sea

www.sickseamusic.com
www.facebook.com/sicksea
www.youtube.com/sickslashsea
www.twitter.com/sickslashsea
www.soundcloud.com/sick-sea
www.sicksea.bandcamp.com
Instagram@Sick_Sea

1. How did you get your band name?

The original idea was "Sick for the Sea" to capture that longing for adventure that we never want to lose, the kind children embody. Then a friend suggested we shorten it with a "slash" and boom! We had our band name.

2. How did this band get started?

It started with me [Audrey] writing a few acoustic/pop songs for fun and putting them up on a secret Myspace music page. My brother who was playing in metal bands, asked if he could add his flavor to the songs and we loved what came out! Soon after I showed the Myspace page to my friends, I was approached by a local promoter to play shows. We only had three originals when we played that show but thanks to that initial push, we are where we are now.

3. What bands are you influenced by?

Bands we've been listening to consistently for a long time are As Cities Burn, Eisley, Colour Revolt, Eisley, Regina Spektor, Daphne Loves Derby, Underoath, Copeland, Death Cab for Cutie, Manchester Orchestra, Maps & Atlases, and Relient K. Lately, my iPod has been rotating Darwin Deez and Ellie Goulding.

4. If you could tour with any bands, past or present, who would they be and why?

Dear and the Headlights and Manchester Orchestra because we love their music and think that their fans would also like our music.

5. Best food to eat on tour?

Anything home cooked and made with love. Vegetables are a rarity but always appreciated!

6. Why should people listen to your band?

We're a multi-genre band made up of positive people that put real emotion into the music we create, which just happens to be really good!

7. If you could be any athlete, which athlete would you switch places with?

Felix Baumgartner, the guy who broke the sound barrier by skydiving!

8. If you won a Grammy, who would you thank?

Our fans, our parents and family, our booking agent Devin, and our label Autumn + Colour!

9. If you could change something about the music industry, what would it be?

We would make it so that major labels spent their time and money on artists who can write a lifetime of their own good songs instead of on the same artists over and over who require songwriters to write for them. Also, we would make it so that every music streaming site requires people to pay a subscription so that artists can get paid.

10. Memorable tour experience?

Last year, we toured through Little Rock, AR, and as we were trying to leave the town, we got stuck in stand-still traffic. We were just trying to return a Redbox movie on the way out, just a few blocks down the street, so Cameron decided to walk it. As he opened the door and stepped out, his cell phone fell off his lap and slipped right into the sewage gutter. We pulled into a Taco Bell and started making calls but it was late, so all the city offices were closed and the police station wasn't answering their phone! We stopped a cop who was driving by and he called the sewage company who said they don't retrieve those types of items. We almost gave up but desperate, we crafted a crowbar out of part of Cameron's drumset, lifted the sewage cover, Cameron jumped in, grabbed his completely dry phone [in three pieces], and jumped out! We were SO pumped just jumping and hugging each other. Seems silly now but we were so glad to win one battle against Little Rock! We think we're cursed in that city.

11. What does AP.net mean to you?

Since AbsolutePunk.net has always supported my favorite bands, I use it as a hub to find new music. AP.net will always mean great discoveries to me.

12. What is your favorite song to play?

Cupid's Drinking Song. There's a crazy buildup in the end that we love love love to play.

13. What is your vacation spot of choice?

This is not really specific but it would have to be camping in a forest. There are so many places I haven't camped at that I want to try [I've only camped in California and Texas] but my favorite experience so far was in the Redwood forest.

14. What music reminds you of your childhood?

Disney songs, the Beach Boys, N*Sync, and all those sappy love ballads my mom listened to.

15. If you could have any super power, what would it be? Why?

Jedi mind control so everyone would buy our CD! That mixed with Matilda's mind power so we wouldn't have to haul our equipment around every night.

16. Any pre-show superstitions or rituals?

Other than sacrificing a goat to the God of Music, no.

17. What is something that most fans don't know about you?

I'm actually pretty good with power tools. My dad and I built a fort in our backyard when I was 11. It was on stilts, had a trapdoor, two rooms, an attic, air-conditioning... it was massive. And I learned a lot about tools from the experience.

Thanks to touring, Miguel and Cameron are really good at darts and billiards.

18. What is your assessment of the current state of radio? Do you think it's a place where your band could flourish?

The radio business is very tough to break through; you can tell because it rotates the same handful of artists. However, it seems like Indie music is showing up more and more on the radio lately and I think that if listeners' tastes are changing, then yes, it's a possibility that our music could end up on the radio.

19. What do you like to do in your spare time?

Whatever spare time we have, we try to spend it with family and friends. I like to have a good cup of coffee and hang out at a coffee shop or have friends over for a movie night and cook something delicious.

20. What kind of hidden talents do you have?

I worked at a Mexican restaurant in Disneyland for 8 months so I can fold a mean burrito. I can also make a mean latte. I make mean things.

No one has commented on this interview.
You can be the first.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests